SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
So I saw this on the horizon hobby site and was pretty excited. I have been wanting a quad this size for a while but don't want a chinese quad with slow boat parts support and want something that will work with my dx6i, thought if it was on horizon site it would be spektrum compatible . I read the first few pages of this thread so realize that my hopes are ruined but still have a couple questions.
1. are the lhs parts compatible with the x4 ie if I buy the x4 can I get qr-1 parts at lhs and put them on no problem.
2. is there some mysterious benefit to buying the qr-1 over the hubsan x4 that I don't know about? I am a blade fan boy so I am used to paying more for similar products just so I can get parts locally and use my dx6i.
3. is this size quad as awesome as I think it is. I fly an mqx and a variety of helicopters outside but only a couple coaxials inside because I seem to hit walls with anything bigger. The tiny quads look like a blast in the house and way more manuverable than a s107 which even bores my 5 year old.

Thanks for any input I get on this off topic post.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:56 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Thanks guys, I'll just stick with the 2 stockers for now. See if i need more after a few weeks with it. If i went all the way to gym to fly it i would probably want 4-5 lipos, but just flying in and around the house should be fine with 2. I don't really like having too many lipos laying around because you always have to make sure they are half discharged when storing... Some people argue that these micro lipos are fine to keep at 100% but i have heard of them self destructing if stored at full.
if you're going to hold off you may want to keep an eye on these, since they are out of stock anyways:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...y-p-63732.html

they seem to be popular here in this forum and did well in jesolins flight time test. they fit the same as stock too and you don't need to reverse polarity.
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:18 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
So I saw this on the horizon hobby site and was pretty excited. I have been wanting a quad this size for a while but don't want a chinese quad with slow boat parts support and want something that will work with my dx6i, thought if it was on horizon site it would be spektrum compatible . I read the first few pages of this thread so realize that my hopes are ruined but still have a couple questions.
1. are the lhs parts compatible with the x4 ie if I buy the x4 can I get qr-1 parts at lhs and put them on no problem.
2. is there some mysterious benefit to buying the qr-1 over the hubsan x4 that I don't know about? I am a blade fan boy so I am used to paying more for similar products just so I can get parts locally and use my dx6i.
3. is this size quad as awesome as I think it is. I fly an mqx and a variety of helicopters outside but only a couple coaxials inside because I seem to hit walls with anything bigger. The tiny quads look like a blast in the house and way more manuverable than a s107 which even bores my 5 year old.

1. yes, all the qr1 and x4 parts are compatible. the x4 parts are a fraction of the cost, but in a pinch you could get the qr1 part. or if you want colored props.

2. no (besides the extra lipo battery and dual charger, which can be purchased separately for very cheap). the qr1 has a trade-in offer at any time for 1/2 the price of a new RTF model, but since a RTF x4 also costs 1/2 the price of a RTF qr1, by the time you are done buying your trade-in qr1 you could have bought 3 RTF x4's (that you could repair yourself cheap).

3. yes, but this answer is subjective. I have a mqx but the qr1 is much more fun flying indoors since it is so tiny and maneuverable. it's very responsive in expert mode and has very fast yaw.

that being said, both the x4 and qr1 are awesome and you should get the one that makes you happy!

regardless which one you choose, read up here. everything you need to know:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=30
Last edited by flying toaster; Mar 04, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:

The Qr-1 is awesome!! And very durable if you keep up with it as far as checking it over when it's not flying right or the motors start sounding different. I have smashed mine into concrete walls metal railings, and other various things and I'm still flying strong!! The price is little high bc it's new, like every new Rc product. Coming with two batteries and a double charger is great! Also this quad has the potential to be super fast and fun while at the same time it's able to be tamed to act like a s107 per say for learning.
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:57 AM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,311 Posts
Quote:
want something that will work with my dx6i.
Get the Heli Max 1SQ and an AnyLink adapter.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:18 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
if you're going to hold off you may want to keep an eye on these, since they are out of stock anyways:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-...y-p-63732.html

they seem to be popular here in this forum and did well in jesolins flight time test. they fit the same as stock too and you don't need to reverse polarity.
Thanks, looks like a good deal...
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:45 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,230 Posts
Notes from a Copter Newb...

I have a lot of R/C fixed wing experience but no "rotor" until yesterday when the QR-1 arrived. I've charged the batteries a total of twelve times now and am able to fly out a complete charge around the living room without hitting anything! Truly, I've only had a handful of spills with it from disorientation and always against carpet, drapes, or padded furniture. No breaks, no bends, not even a nick in a prop.

Some ratings - please, understand that this is only based upon things from a complete neophytes perspective: (Scale 1-10)

Packaging - 9.5 - The contents of the box were well layed out and protected for shipping and is very easy to reuse for storage of the contents. The .5 deduction was only because one of the LiPo's was loose and not in its slot when I opened it. A piece of tape would have held this one item in place during shipping.

Owner's Manual - 8.0 - It was good but when the first thing to do is "charge the batteries", you would expect to be told how to do so. No big deal, common charging unit to many people and easy to figure out even if someone has never used this type of charging regimen. Still, the first line on the dual-charger label says, "1. Read all charging instructions before use." LOL That IS the charging instructions... The rest of the manual and the calibration addendum were really very good and easy to follow.

Quality - 9.0 - Much better than was expected for the cost. Everything fits. No plastic flange. Colors are good (got a greenie). My only complaint which has been covered here and elsewhere is the lack of landing "feet". Exposed motor wires right where you land is not something I would have expected considering the quality of the rest of the construction. Ways of covering and "feet" are covered elsewhere in this thread. If you are new - it needs to be done. Transmitter is OK. Programming is easy. Doesn't feel too toyish... Case and gimbal construction is good. The charger is nice.

Flying - 9.0 - Pretty darn easy. I set the rates to 25 to start (20 was noticeably too soft to me) and off we go. One thing I've noticed is that the trim changes throughout the flights and has to be reset. May just be me - I am new. Seems to be the same pattern of change every flight though. Tried it outside once today during a lull in the winds. Did fine. But, when the wind gusted back up - ah, well, still didn't even nick a prop.

That's it. Thanks to everyone contributing here. You make a newb's life a lot easier and it is greatly appreciated! ...Kevin
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:55 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Nice review, I pick mine up tomorrow. So I'll post some of my thoughts on it too. Going to try to convince my LHS to start putting these on the shelf so that he'll carry all the parts.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:00 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Just finished setting it up. So far 2 of the 4 included black rotor blades where too loose for the motor shaft. Not too impressed with that. Any mod or way to fix this. I can't currently think of anything? I can fly it now, but once i break a black rotor, I'll have to wait til my pre-ordered spares come in.

Lipos are charging, so will have it in the air soon.

Thanks
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:37 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
some people on here suggest placing a very small drop of Elmer's or CA glue inside the prop with a needle, then attaching the prop and letting it dry. it's not so much "glueing" the prop to the motor shaft but rather filling the small gap inside causing it to fit loose. it will still come off with not too much difficulty when you want it to.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:50 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Sweet! I'll give it a try. Just to let people know, I just ordered mine and it came in on Wednesday, and it seems that the latest batch from traxxas have little motor savers on them. They are little black caps on the tops of the motors and act the same as the antena tube mods that stop the motors from the back popping out. If people want I'll post a pic of it.

First flight was a little shady due to the calibration issue, but once i calibrated the gyro (saw on youtube video) it flys like a dream! I'm just flying it in the house right now in a small room so I'm keeping regular mode on, but when i get a windless day I'll definitely try expert mode and go for some flips and rolls.

Very happy with the flying characteristics. I'm brand new to quads, so i think this thing will be great to learn on, and due to its size it can be flown at home. This means lots of flight time for me!
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:13 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
please do post a close up pic if you can, I'd like to check those prop guards out

another thing to experiment with are your rudder/aileron/elevator rates on both normal and expert modes, which can all be adjusted independently by percentage. I believe from the factory normal is set to 45% and expert 95% on all rates, which is a huge difference. normal maxes out at 60% and expert 100%. once you are ready, move normal from 45% to max (60%) while still indoors if you want. then move expert down to 85-90% so that the jump isn't as huge. from 90%, keep going until you eventually reach 100%! by that point normal will probably become boring, as you will find even normal maxed out is still pretty tame.

as for flips, increase the throttle a bit right before you flip in order to lose less altitude during the flip sequence. you should be high enough to have space to recover, since you will probably lose height at first (takes a bit of practice). the x4 auto flips for you, meaning you basically give the quad the command to flip in the direction you want, and then the programming takes over and perfors both the rotation and recovery sequence for you. it's fun at first, but has sort of a novelty factor compared to doing a manual flip that you control. also, the x4 does a better job recovering from flips on a fresh battery, so don't wait until the last portion of your flight to try it out.

happy flying!
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
947 Posts
I found some gift certificates from Christmas that were misplaced. I ordered a Qr-1 from that hobby shop. I will now see first hand if there is any perceptable differencs from my X-4.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:35 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Wow, I had the slightest crash today (have literally crashed my 120 sr 1000 times as hard) and snapped two of the arms in haft and now one of the motors on one of the uncrashed arms only spins half of the time. I'm really disappointed because i thought this thing was suppose to be durable. I've flown lots of micro helis, and have never broken anything from such a wimpy little crash.

The biggest letdown of all is that I enjoyed flying this thing and really thought it would be a great little pocket heli to take on trips and fly anywhere, and now it may aswell be a static model...

I feel like I completely wasted $90.
Last edited by Energy; Mar 09, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:45 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Wow, I had the slightest crash today (have literally crashed my 120 sr 1000 times as hard) and snapped two of the arms in haft and now one of the motors on one of the uncrashed arms only spins half of the time. I'm really disappointed because i thought this thing was suppose to be durable. I've flown lots of micro helis, and have never broken anything from such a wimpy little crash.

I feel like I completely wasted $90.
I don't know where you can read this toy is durable.
Some (me too) call it a glass-quad.
Still a far superior flyer in the micro class, but neither a beginner's quad nor perfectly constructed.
You have to do 3 mods to make it a lot more durable - one of them is now a new Traxxas-Standard:
Rubber bumper feet, ET-mod and motor protection "straw-mod".
(You'll find them under jesolin's X4 101 threads)
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member