HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,959 Posts
Discussion
The Report Button

Seems to be used more for retaliation than actually reporting spammers and serious rule infractions.

Why is it so hard to discuss issues like adults and not play the report game.

Just on observation.
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:16 PM View Post
flyinwalenda
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Group attack). It is temporarily hidden while flyinwalenda edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Retaliation? How about for sport? There are a few, and we know them well, right?(not me) that seem to exist here solely for the purpose of reporting. Even better, they then complain when the posts that they report aren't infracted. They love to question and prod people until they get a response they can report. They love to pull out the "rules" and even go so far as to use Websters dictionary definitions to help there case. Take some time and look at their posts, almost all of them are either in LTUP, or fling complaints. Meanwhile, this is a hobby site about all things RC related. Sell or buy, share a story about flying, make a suggestion or answer a question. Or just lurk. That's what most do. Never seen it more than I do on this site.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Retaliation? How about for sport? There are a few, and we know them well, right?(not me) that seem to exist here solely for the purpose of reporting. Even better, they then complain when the posts that they report aren't infracted. They love to question and prod people until they get a response they can report. They love to pull out the "rules" and even go so far as to use Websters dictionary definitions to help there case. Take some time and look at their posts, almost all of them are either in LTUP, or fling complaints. Meanwhile, this is a hobby site about all things RC related. Sell or buy, share a story about flying, make a suggestion or answer a question. Or just lurk. That's what most do. Never seen it more than I do on this site.
oh, come now...where is the logic in that?

(and i'm not trying to be obtuse)
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Have to agree. I look back on some users post history and maybe the first 20 or so are hobby or RC related(some even helpful) and the other thousands are mostly BS. Granted I take part in a few OT forums but try and stay on RC topics. I was lured into a few set-ups but not anymore.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Frank's not setting us up, but be careful how you answer the question. Anything you say can and will be used against you. As the 'letters' editor of Austin American Statesman told me, it is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,959 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one who sees this as well. I'll tell you what, the AMA forum has recently gotten real bad about post reporting. It seems someone has just discovered the button.

The AMA forum used to be a good place to discuss issues and concerns, and yes, sometime the discussions do get heated at times, and I'm OK with that since it is hard to discuss somethings without feeling emotional about them. But lately, someone is going around reporting posts for any little thing.

What also gets me though is that the post in context does not really break any rules, but if you look at it solely by itself, you can come up with anything that is considered against the rules and be pointed for it. I just wish the mods would read a few posts before hand and see what is going on before pointing the post.

Frank
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,959 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of that, why is it that the mods can't see these folks as clearly as we do? I was a moderator on another forum and after a while it is real easy to spot folks doing that. I think there should be a rule against reporting people just for the sake of reporting them. And I do not think "obnoxious reporting" rule is stopping the problem. Because as I mentioned, any post, including this one can be interpreted to be breaking one rule or another.

Don't get me wrong, I really like RCG and have made many friends here, I just wish we could clean it up a little if you know what I mean.

Frank
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I couldn't agree more. By the way, is it not ironic (if not completely sad) that someone already reported a post here and it was infracted. I'm sure at least 2 or 3 of the posts have been reported already.

I think some of what gets reported is clearly outside of the rules. Profanity, threats, and personal info posted for all to see. That stuff deserves to be hidden. The rest of it, we're all big boys here. The "user base" that usually gets tossed in as a reason is really only a few. Every time I see "user base" I think of two people in particular that love to go through the threads and hit "report". And they wait to see if it gets the action they want. And then hit report again to complain if the first report wasn't hit with a point. Really? Seriously? My favorite though is that someone once started complaining about the use of a hyphen in a word. I kid you not, they were arguing and complaining about how a hyphen was used. I can't think of anything more pathetic on here then that. Hiding behind a computer, hitting report, then arguing with a dictionary.

Why do the mods not see it? Oh, they see it. Once in a while they will push back and even "point" that person to. But that is infrequent. Usually they just have a nice little back and forth "thank for helping" kind of conversation. IMHO, this feeds the serial reporters sense of purpose, and so it continues. I can't help but feel these folks secretly wish THEY were mods. Kinda like those guys who buy Crown Victorias and then add the blue/red/white flashing lights and then try to stop people and give them tickets. Only they aren't cops. Ya...that's what they remind me of.

At the end of the day, we are all responsible for what we write. I don't actually think anyone has ever been "tricked" into writing something down. We do it consciously, the key is what we say, and how we say it. To some degree the mods have to interpret and make a judgement call. The owner made the appeal process pretty unreasonable (waiting sometimes over 70 days for an answer) so for the most part I'll just revise something as asked.

And finally, yes, in case you are wondering this post will be reported.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
I don't understand all the concern about posts being reported.
It's not that hard to post without violating a rule.
Being honest with yourself is key... that way, no one can insult you.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
The last sentence is a great daily affirmation. Doesn't have much to do with the issue at hand though.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
The last sentence is a great daily affirmation. Doesn't have much to do with the issue at hand though.
Sure it does, as most rule violations art reactions.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I'll disagree with that absent proof of same. Either way, doesn't matter even if that's a valid point. Honesty is not the quality I'm thinking of from a serial report button pusher perspective. I'm thinking more along the lines of (****, ****, and ****). The two in particular types I'm thinking of are the ones who always goad and push and prompt, all under the guise of "really wanting to understand the other persons positions". It's a tired, extremely transparent ploy. And when called out, they just keep reporting. The other type is the one that trolls for complaints against certain vendors, or types of activity. They blindly and unequivocally advocate for the vendor of their choice, then report over and over when anyone disagrees.

Then, there are those that take a special interest in a person, and go back days, months, and yes, even years to find posts to report. Can you imagine the time it takes to go back years and find posts to report? And these are adults no less. And once again, can you imagine a mod taking the time to infract a post made two years ago?

I believe others have recommended or suggested having a way to identify those folks who report over and over. The owners have pushed back on that of course, god forbid. Oh sure, there is a rule against over reporting, I guess that's the way they deal with that issue. But what would be the harm in seeing lets say the top 5 reporters? Or even top 10? Even better, another percentage of posts reported that have been "pointed". How could that hurt?
Last edited by porcia83; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edited so as not to offend reporters
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
I don't understand all the concern about posts being reported.
It's not that hard to post without violating a rule.
Being honest with yourself is key... that way, no one can insult you.
Kenny,

I agree with you, but that always is not the hard and fast rule. For example, look that this post here: <<link removed in fear of further retaliation >>

I simply stated the truth on what was happening. Another user was harassing me in that thread and I simply stated that was what was going on. In turn, that post was reported for obnoxious behavior so I had to remove the user's name. But what about all the harassment posts made by that user? Did the mod go back and look at the circumstances of what was going on leading up to my factual post? Nope, he/she did not.

So as you can see, infractions are not always a black and white. The mod simply sees a snapshot and has to react on that single post. Is that the right way to do things? Probably not. Is that what we have to live with? Yes it is.

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Jun 14, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
and lets not forget that there are different mods, who can also interpret the rules, and the specific post reported differently.