HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:09 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,832 Posts
Question
Interested in LED's for trailer lighting

I was thinking about using some of the LED strip lights to light my trailer on 12V instead of the 120V 4' fluorescent tube I've got in there now.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Flexible...eter-G-680.htm

My concern is, most of these strip lights I've seen are more directional meaning the light comes straight out of the LED. If I put 4 1M strips of these in my trailer along the roof bracing, do you guys think that'll light it up bright all around? I'd like to wire them in parallel and connect them to my 12V car battery that powers my trailer. Would I need a fuse inline with them or can I wire them straight in?

I really like this idea as the lighting will be small, out of the way and cheap. And I can run the lighting when my trailer is not plugged into a 120V power source. What do you guys think?
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:00 PM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Sep 2012
215 Posts
My motorhome had 120 flourescent and 12 volt also.
I added some more 12 lights on a separate battery for
worry free starts.

You could leave existing 120 in place and add LED strips
wired to trailer lights as you said. These LED strips don't
use much juice.

If you fly electric planes and have a few old 3 cell batteries...
you could easily wire some LED strips with a female balance
plug and get hours of light without going through your trailer
lights.

That would be for general lighting. For task lighting over
a work bench you could use a few Eagle Eye 3w or 9w LEDs
12 volt lights from ebayoramazon...couple bucks apiece.

Anyway, that would give you a lot of options for cheap.

Number_6 is online now Find More Posts by Number_6
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:50 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,832 Posts
Well, I just remodeled it and I took the electrical I had in there out including the overhead light. Now I'm looking at options to put back in. I was just thinking the LED's would be a cleaner install. I won't be patching it into the trailer wiring, I'll be patching it into the car battery I'll have under my counter that'll power all my 12V devices such as charging devices and the like.

I'd rather not use Lipos because I'm pretty forgetful and I could close the trailer up accidentally leaving the lights on and run the battery past the point of no return.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop