HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Discussion
Sky walker 1800 prop

Hi Iv just bought my sky walker 1700 from bevrc and there was a power combo that was suggested so I got that with it but when I looked closer at what I ordered it was a folding prop that I had ordered .
I haven't seen any youtube vids or posts any were that anyone has used a folding prop with this plane .
Can anyone tell me if it's ok to use one if these on the sky walker 1800
Andyfaruck is offline Find More Posts by Andyfaruck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:56 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
763 Posts
Folding prop should be fine to use. Just make sure the diameter fits the SW1800 and that the pitch matches your battery/motor/ESC combination.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
The motor ,esc, folding prop were all part of a power combo the only part that wasn't was the battery I'll need to have a look to see what battery would be best . It did mention a 4s battery but that's all
Thanks for replying
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Can any one recommend the best battery set up for my sky walker1700 I'm using
70a sbec
3548 kv 830 motor
12*7 nylon folding prop
Iv read a few post were people are using more than one battery
I'm new to fpv Iv been flying my eflight apprentice with a go pro 3 and fat shark goggles but wanted to move on to something that's ment for fpv any help would be a great help
Thanks loads
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Can any one recommend the best battery set up for my sky walker1700 I'm using
70a sbec
3548 kv 830 motor
12*7 nylon folding prop
Iv read a few post were people are using more than one battery
I'm new to fpv Iv been flying my eflight apprentice with a go pro 3 and fat shark goggles but wanted to move on to something that's ment for fpv any help would be a great help
Thanks loads
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
The power combo I bought was a 70a sbec brushless esc
3548 kv 830 motor
12*7 nylon folding prop with spinner
Can any one tell me what would be the best battery for what I'm going to use. Iv read that people using this plane are using two battery's together is that the best way to go. I'm new to fpv flying only been doing it a couple of months snd I was using eflight apprentice with gopro 3
I also have a dji 450 but prefer flying planes as there's loads more flying time
Thanks for any help you guys can give
Sorry about post being repeated using my phone as I'm at work don't now why it's doing that sorry again
Old Nov 25, 2014, 01:50 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
763 Posts
The 3548 kV=830 RPM/V motor with a 12x7F prop will require a 4S battery.
Not sure what the max Amp draw will be with such a set-up. I would guess in the the 30 to 40A range.
Assuming 40A, you can run as little as 1x 4S 4000mAh 15C pack to have a little margin. 20C would probably be better and more available these days anyway.
If you have these kind of packs in your stash already, by all means use them.
If you are buying packs for this application, I would consider something like this (budget) or this.
One could easily run 2 of these packs in parallel and I guess the SW will accommodate 3 or even 4 of these. Mostly one would fly with 1 or 2 packs though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:51 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Thanks so much henkvdw all the batteries I have the now are 3s so I guess I'm going to have to buy some new ones.iv never used more than 1 batterie at a time when flying
If I double up the batteries will that increase the flying time
Thanks for your help
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
Thanks so much henkvdw all the batteries I have the now are 3s so I guess I'm going to have to buy some new ones.iv never used more than 1 batterie at a time when flying
If I double up the batteries will that increase the flying time
Thanks for your help
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:03 PM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
763 Posts
There is a point of diminishing returns.
Doubling up from 1 to 2 batteries will increase flying time. Lots of guys are doing exactly this.
Adding a third will give more time and also a 4th may.
But now the plane is getting so heavy that it would be questionable if you would get more flying time, let alone be able to launch it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
I think I going to try with 2 4s and see how that how
can't want till the plane comes so I can get started on it I love my apprentice but with the to pro on top it changes the way it flys so much it's like a total different plane plus he amount of room inside the sky walker is so much better
Again thanks for the help with the batteries
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:46 PM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
763 Posts
Since you already have 3S batteries you may consider purchasing a motor suitable for 3S and 12" prop - that is if the 3S batteries will be suitable for the application.
May be cheaper than buying 4S batteries.
Something like this or this.
My personal preference is for 4S since Voltage for everything on board steps down. With 3S, the pack is at 12.6V when fully charged but soon drops below 12V and ends around 10V. Some 12V gear does not like this and if you have to regulate at 12V you end up stepping down to 5V and up to 12V again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2014
20 Posts
I was thinking of using the 3s batteries but Iv had most of them for over a year and was thinking of getting a couple of new ones so I'm just going to go with the 4s and double them up.
I still have loads to get osd, auto pilot lights ect do it's going to be a work in progress . I'm end ting to cover the foam to protect it especially the wing tips.
I was wondering if anyone had fitted flaps in the 1800 wings and if the have a link to any klups of them working