Find More Posts by Cap 21
France, IDF, Paris
Joined May 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
Fms vs freewing p 51 mustang

Both of these brands have p51 in 1.4 m.
The free wing has a sound system.
Has anyone ever compared these models ( quality, undercarriage...)
Cap 21 is offline Find More Posts by Cap 21
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Cap 21
France, IDF, Paris
Joined May 2013
11 Posts
They are sold at rc castle HK
Cap 21 is offline Find More Posts by Cap 21
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Shung
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,472 Posts
I do think the freewing has one thing going for itself.. Slightly better lines, and beautiful hinges, especially for the flaps.

I like the choice of paint schemes for the FMS and also spare parts availability.

I have a FMS P-51B but think I'll get the freewing for D model.
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by 6Sally5
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
753 Posts
I have the FMS P-51 and a friend of mine has the Freewing. The Freewing hands down is a fantastic looking airplane and the quality of construction exceeds the FMS by degrees. I really am impressed with the hinging of the control surfaces....BUT....the sound system is absolutely ridiculous...it is a recording of a radial engine and sounds nothing whatsoever like a Mustang. It even runs when the prop isn't turning. Second...it is pretty slow. He took off the drop tanks and it really didn't make a lot of difference. Third...he crashed it he believes due to some failure of the aircraft. He went back to Motion RC about it and so far they haven't done a real good job with satisfying their customer. It is the first time I have EVER heard about Motion doing a poor customer service job, and I'm really disappointed here. They offered him 25% off a new plane and I told him he should take their offer. Anyway....as good as it looks, it flies slow, and the sound system is ridiculous. I love my FMS plane!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by easyrider604
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
I have the FMS P-51 and a friend of mine has the Freewing. The Freewing hands down is a fantastic looking airplane and the quality of construction exceeds the FMS by degrees. I really am impressed with the hinging of the control surfaces....BUT....the sound system is absolutely ridiculous...it is a recording of a radial engine and sounds nothing whatsoever like a Mustang. It even runs when the prop isn't turning. Second...it is pretty slow. He took off the drop tanks and it really didn't make a lot of difference. Third...he crashed it he believes due to some failure of the aircraft. He went back to Motion RC about it and so far they haven't done a real good job with satisfying their customer. It is the first time I have EVER heard about Motion doing a poor customer service job, and I'm really disappointed here. They offered him 25% off a new plane and I told him he should take their offer. Anyway....as good as it looks, it flies slow, and the sound system is ridiculous. I love my FMS plane!
JMHO, I think MotionRC is more than fair by offering the 25% off. Unless there is absolute proof that the plane crashed because of a structural failure or design flaw, it will tough for them to go back to Freewing and justify the compensation.

I am sorry about your friend's crash, but if every distributor of model airplanes compensates us flyers for every crash, they'd all be out of business in no time. I know it sucks, but sometimes that is the risk of guys who like the buy the latest and greatest, though untested and unproven. That's the reason that I personally buy only stuff that have proven track records and great reviews.

Like you, I love my FMS planes and purchased a number of FMS models from BananaHobby, all pretty much perfect, before I became an FMS distributor.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Mar 15, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by starcop
Joined Nov 2013
38 Posts
Hello Pilots, I have the FMS 1450MM P-51D Mustang, Petie 2nd & I have the Freewing P51D Mustang with the Sound System. Freewing is a better model. Retracts are much nicer and just all around parts and look is much nicer. From a perspective, so I'd pick the Freewing if they were next to each-other. The Retracts alone are beautiful on the Freewing.
starcop is offline Find More Posts by starcop
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Shung
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,472 Posts
Do you think the freewing speakers could be connected to a MrRCSound chip ?

I mean, could we only keep the speakers from the sound system and attach them to a MrRCSound , and get rid of the original chip etc ?
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,463 Posts
Yes. Simple wiring exercise.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:07 AM
Joined Nov 2013
38 Posts
Freewing Vs FMS Mustangs

I'm pretty sure anything can be done to change the sound system in the Freewing. The hard parts are already done! Better aircraft, better retracts; both are great products, just one does a few better parts.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by Sandancer
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
I up-loaded a new page on my blog the other nite "Up-Grading the FMS 1400mm P-51's" utilizing some of the parts off the Freewing 1400 P-51.

I also added a little mod of my own to liven up those .50 cal guns.

P 51 50 Cal guns (1 min 18 sec)

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2013
38 Posts
Also, the Freewing comes with High end ball links & built in clevis mounts in most of their surfaces. They are both such nice Models, the FMS Ver.8 has a really nice battery tray setup. The FreeWing still has a front end Strap mounted setup; which is better. FreeWing from a perspective. Hello Gary, That .51 Cal Gun setup is Awesome! I love it. Maybe I'll get that setup too. Plus an old train setup trick with Smoke!
Make those Guns look really scale!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:13 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcop View Post
Also, the Freewing comes with High end ball links & built in clevis mounts in most of their surfaces. They are both such nice Models, the FMS Ver.8 has a really nice battery tray setup. The FreeWing still has a front end Strap mounted setup; which is better. FreeWing from a perspective. Hello Gary, That .51 Cal Gun setup is Awesome! I love it. Maybe I'll get that setup too. Plus an old train setup trick with Smoke!
Make those Guns look really scale!
Thanks for bringing up those kewl ball link/clevis, I forgot to mention them on my blog. I have a few of those along with the linkage kit and they are much better then the standard linkage and clevis set up on the FMS. I too, like the battery bay access on the Freewing as well.

Keep us informed on your smoke idea, sounds pretty kewl too!

Gary
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by 6Sally5
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I up-loaded a new page on my blog the other nite "Up-Grading the FMS 1400mm P-51's" utilizing some of the parts off the Freewing 1400 P-51.

I also added a little mod of my own to liven up those .50 cal guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAbM...ature=youtu.be

Gary
Hey Gary...I have the V6 FMS. Can I mod the retracts on it to accept the Freewing? Also, they look considerably larger. Any problem with fit?
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:59 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Hey Gary...I have the V6 FMS. Can I mod the retracts on it to accept the Freewing? Also, they look considerably larger. Any problem with fit?
I'm not sure on the V6, Alan? I would assume yes. As for size, the FMS & FW's are about the same size, it's the larger 3 3/8" wheel that makes them look larger.

I did a test fit in a set of V8 wings I have, and with a little work, I don't see why they wouldn't work. I have additional pics and specs on the "~Up-grading the FMS 1400mm P-51's~" pg.

Gary
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:45 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
spitfirebill made a very interesting post #5495 on the "FMS Giant Warbirds - Participate in their development" thread this morning concerning the future developments of FMS. Well worth the reading for all of us FMS enthusiasts.

Gary