New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
16,193 Posts
Yep.... that's exactly what they called it.. They said one major thing that causes it is if it is lightly snowing or raining, when that hits the cold road it freezes causing the black ice. Justin drives a Subaru WRX, turbocharged all wheel drive car and he hit a huge puddle of water during a rain storm....He told me he used what I taught him and held the wheel straight and didn't touch the brakes. He was hydroplaning. Suddenly the car started drifting slowly and he downshifted and damned near saved it.....but it slowly turned into the median and he spun out and ended up sitting in the median facing the wrong way. A trooper was following him and came to his assistance. "Do you need a wrecker?" He told the guy no... the car is all wheel drive and he drove it out of the median, back on to the highway with a flat tire and drove to the next exit in the emergency lane. The cop actually congratulated him on how he handled the car. "You came so close to saving it, I could not believe it spun." Justin told him that came from his racing skills. He called me and I went out and helped him put the spare tire on. That was a lot of fun. It was pouring so hard the frogs were choking.
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2016, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
15,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I think of you every time I see their commercials on TV. Stay warm and I hope you're feeling better soon. I go in to get my stomach scoped on Thursday. They found a 7mm "bump" the last time I was scoped. So, on Thursday... they're going to do a biopsy on it. I don't mind the stomach scope...but I'm a little worried about the biopsy. I guess we'll see when the results are sent.
Buzz, for life of me, I'm still trying to figure this out. What commercial on TV are you talking about?

Good luck with the biopsy Bud. I hope it comes back clean.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 09, 2016, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by frieslander
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
8,777 Posts
Buzz, only the rear wheel vehicles can gear down. Black ce is really no different than normal ice on the road, only difference is that it comes up suddenly. When I used to drive at night time in those conditions I kept my speed down, a light touch on the brakes and gas and no sudden moves when steering. When I hit icy spots I just lifted my foot upwards off the gas, then when I was past th spot I gently brought the speed back up. The worst thing is suddenly frozen ruts in the snow that turn to ice, no way to get out of them.

The biggest problem is drivers who do not change their driving habits from summer to winter andnwhomdrive too close behind the other vehicle. Winter tires are a must, all season tires are not the same. Since imdrivemostly in town I have the ice gripping tire, works just great for me. Great stopping power and no slipping when taking off on ice.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 09, 2016, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
6,312 Posts
About all one can do in a front wheel drive car that is skidding on ice is to hang on to the steering wheel if one can not power out of the skid.

At least when the tractor starts skidding I can drop the bucket and the box scraper blade hanging off the back.

".... The biggest problem is drivers who do not change their driving habits from summer to winter andnwhomdrive too close behind the other vehicle."- Durk

I see it here all the time

At least one vehicle skid off the road on the hill in yesterday's/this morning's snow based on snow prints.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Old Feb 09, 2016, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,726 Posts
My son-in-law has my Forester XT now. He has done a ton of upgrades to it and it's really a blast to drive now. It was always quick, but now it's absurdly fast, over 350 whp and it only weighs 3240 lbs. But, it's still a super handling car in the winter. I just put Blizzacks on my Lexus and go anywhere I need to go. More often than not, traffic is the problem not the snow. We got about 1" of snow last night over a little bit of ice. Nothing terrible, but you did need to exercise a little caution. But no, the idiots were sliding into walls on the freeway this morning. After going 1 mile in 1/2 hour I gave up and went home.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by BattleDude
High Plains Drifter...
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
6,959 Posts
LOL Dudes! Made it to Las Vegas, but not Hoover Dam.
Hot down here, Buzz would be in "7th heaven" LOL
On to east LA, and San Diego tommorrow.
Driving through LV was "hair raising" but not near what it is going to be tomorrow in California. I am not used to this
GN guys!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Driving through LV was "hair raising" but not near what it is going to be tomorrow in California. I am not used to this
GN guys!
Timing is everything, man. I like to drive through cities before, like, 5 a.m. or after 10 p.m. Much easier on my old country-boy nerves.
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
GN guys!
Be safe. Now you know what it was like for me in the semi. One of my stops was restaurant depot by the airport in LV
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Feb 10, 2016, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Be safe. Now you know what it was like for me in the semi. One of my stops was restaurant depot by the airport in LV
LA is a bitch no matter what time. Iam sure you will be fine you would be wise to check several route's to where you are going. It doesn't take much for LA traffic to get really screwed up.
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
16,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Buzz, for life of me, I'm still trying to figure this out. What commercial on TV are you talking about?

Good luck with the biopsy Bud. I hope it comes back clean.

Mike.
Vicodin commercials. Don't you get them up there? I know you take it and when I see the commercial I think about you. Yeah... I get scoped tomorrow morning at 11:30... I won't get any results until they send the biopsy report back. My email server with Bright House has a "latency" problem. I can send but can't receive. But, I can browse so I can still get on here... They said they are working on the problem and I should be able to receive email in a couple of hours.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
LA is a bitch no matter what time. Iam sure you will be fine you would be wise to check several route's to where you are going. It doesn't take much for LA traffic to get really screwed up.
- Terry

I really do not like traveling on the interstates and state thruways. Not only does one have to deal with all the jerk drivers, and confusing signage, but some cities seem to have all the major highways running into them and not a single highway running out of them

I bet some old bluehairs drive around in these big intercity "route loops" until they run out of gas,
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
16,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Buzz, only the rear wheel vehicles can gear down. Black ce is really no different than normal ice on the road, only difference is that it comes up suddenly. When I used to drive at night time in those conditions I kept my speed down, a light touch on the brakes and gas and no sudden moves when steering. When I hit icy spots I just lifted my foot upwards off the gas, then when I was past th spot I gently brought the speed back up. The worst thing is suddenly frozen ruts in the snow that turn to ice, no way to get out of them.

The biggest problem is drivers who do not change their driving habits from summer to winter andnwhomdrive too close behind the other vehicle. Winter tires are a must, all season tires are not the same. Since imdrivemostly in town I have the ice gripping tire, works just great for me. Great stopping power and no slipping when taking off on ice.
And you wonder why I live down here? Lol... I just could not handle driving in that stuff. I mean.... I have driven in snow an ice when we go to Maggie Valley NC to visit my friend who owns a motel there. When we were married we went to Gatlinberg and then Maggie Valley. We rented a cabin for our honeymoon and got snowed in. But, we still found a way to entertain ourselves.... lol. I was driving a Firebird Trans Am ....400hp and we didn't have much trouble driving in the snow on regular wide tires. The car had "posi-traction" which powered both rear tires and that helped a lot.
We stayed a couple of days with my friend and his wife at their motel...but we couldn't drive up the steep hill to the place. I'd get a running start and get about halfway up the hill, then the rear tires would start spinning and back down we went backwards. Everyone staying there had to park at the bottom of the hill and walk up it. Otherwise, we just drove slowly and had a great time. Never got into any black ice.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
16,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
About all one can do in a front wheel drive car that is skidding on ice is to hang on to the steering wheel if one can not power out of the skid.

At least when the tractor starts skidding I can drop the bucket and the box scraper blade hanging off the back.

".... The biggest problem is drivers who do not change their driving habits from summer to winter andnwhomdrive too close behind the other vehicle."- Durk

I see it here all the time

At least one vehicle skid off the road on the hill in yesterday's/this morning's snow based on snow prints.
I'd never drive a front wheel drive car in snow and ice..... Front wheel drive cars don't pull both wheels. When it rains down here I see them trying to pull away from a traffic light and they spin one front wheel.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I'd never drive a front wheel drive car in snow and ice..... Front wheel drive cars don't pull both wheels. When it rains down here I see them trying to pull away from a traffic light and they spin one front wheel.
I had a Toyota Tercel and a Honda CRXSi, both FWD cars. They positively sucked traveling on ice or snow. I had accidents with both in the snow. Now my old hopped up 1970 Datsun 510 which is rear wheel drive was great in the snow.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by frieslander
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
8,777 Posts
Any vehicle, be it front or rear wheel drive will spin the wheels. Rear wheel drive needs weight in the back for traction in winter, front wheel drive has the weight over the drive wheels. I have had two front wheel drive vehicles including my present one. I have no problems, be gentle on the accelerator pedal in wet and icy conditions. When I had my first front wheel drive vehicle I watcher rear wheel drive vehicles that could not make it up a steep icy hill, they all failed to make it to the top. I just kept a light steady touch on my gas pedal and smoothly drove up the hill like it was summer.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander