SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Thread Tools
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:54 AM
futurebreeze is online now
Find More Posts by futurebreeze
FPV addicted
futurebreeze's Avatar
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff reeves View Post
Hi there,
I am working on a 3 axis gimbal with an alexmos board and have everything working fairly well. Except when I tilt it forward after about 20 degrees the yaw starts shaking and eventually it doesn't hold it's heading.
It happened the same thing to me but I have an airborne 3 axis gimbal. I solved this issue by connecting the Flight Controller to Alexmos board. You may try enabling "Estimate angles from motors" option in GUI.
Watch the second gimbal in my video, I had the same problem:
http://youtu.be/VnrezpOkdJg?t=58s
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:13 AM
jeff reeves is offline
Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Registered User
jeff reeves's Avatar
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
349 Posts
thanks, I'll give that a try.
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:23 AM
futurebreeze is online now
Find More Posts by futurebreeze
FPV addicted
futurebreeze's Avatar
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Once enabling that option you have to set some axis offsets too, in the same menu section, see the Alexmos manual.
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:40 PM
GeO82 is online now
Find More Posts by GeO82
Registered User
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Sint-Truiden
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Had some issues with pitch control of the gimbal, but this seems to be tuned out now and its looking pretty stable if ya ask me, little backwards test. Watch at 60fps

AlexMos/Basecam 8 bit Controller Brushless Gimbal Backwards Test 60fps (0 min 15 sec)
GeO82 is online now Find More Posts by GeO82
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 02:49 PM
jeff reeves is offline
Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Registered User
jeff reeves's Avatar
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
It happened the same thing to me but I have an airborne 3 axis gimbal. I solved this issue by connecting the Flight Controller to Alexmos board. You may try enabling "Estimate angles from motors" option in GUI.
Watch the second gimbal in my video, I had the same problem:
http://youtu.be/VnrezpOkdJg?t=58s
I worked on the settings again for about 6 hours!
I did just what you said by enabling the estimate angles from motors. It says in the directions that is is only for hand held gimbals? I enabled it anyway. I have adjusted my PID settings alot and when I decreased my power on the yaw, it helped alot. but now my PID settings on the yaw are only D-6, I-.02, and the P-5. Any higher and the yaw freaks out.
All the rest of my P&Ds are in the teens
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 05:50 PM
katman1260 is offline
Find More Posts by katman1260
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
462 Posts
I just hooked up my 8 bit 3 axis to a handheld rig. Started off with 2.4 rim but the yaw wouldn't stop spinning round and round and round and pitch was flippin out. ReFirmed to 2.3 and the yaw stopped and pitch settled down, but noooowwwwww.... though it holds position, if you move the gimbal it stays and holds that new position.

There is no return on any axis when bumped, and follow mode "yaw" doesn't work.

I have done a 6 axis calibration. IMU is corrected mounted/calibrated. motors connected correctly and as I said, it holds stability well.
I have not had this happen before, have any of you?
katman1260 is offline Find More Posts by katman1260
Last edited by katman1260; Apr 26, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 07:23 PM
katman1260 is offline
Find More Posts by katman1260
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
462 Posts
Fed up with this. Installed a Storm32 and everything is working perfectly.
katman1260 is offline Find More Posts by katman1260
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2015, 01:41 AM
futurebreeze is online now
Find More Posts by futurebreeze
FPV addicted
futurebreeze's Avatar
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff reeves View Post
I did just what you said by enabling the estimate angles from motors. It says in the directions that is is only for hand held gimbals? I enabled it anyway. I have adjusted my PID settings alot and when I decreased my power on the yaw, it helped alot. but now my PID settings on the yaw are only D-6, I-.02, and the P-5. Any higher and the yaw freaks out.
All the rest of my P&Ds are in the teens
J
Indeed, "estimate angles from motors" is for handheld gimbals but once it worked for me too. Now I changed to using EXT ROLL and EXT PITCH and I can get larger angles. I remember that (just like you) I worked a lot tweaking the PIDs with no luck. I took a few days pause and then I reset everything to default and I started as in page 12 in Alexmos 2.4 manual: "Set I=0.01, P=10, D=10 for all axes....." . Eventually it worked. Now I have some new issues (I don't understand why because they weren't there at that time): roll axis drift during accelerations and some jello from time to time. So the tweaking begins once again. At least now I know what to tweak
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:08 AM
jeff reeves is offline
Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Registered User
jeff reeves's Avatar
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Indeed, "estimate angles from motors" is for handheld gimbals but once it worked for me too. Now I changed to using EXT ROLL and EXT PITCH and I can get larger angles. I remember that (just like you) I worked a lot tweaking the PIDs with no luck. I took a few days pause and then I reset everything to default and I started as in page 12 in Alexmos 2.4 manual: "Set I=0.01, P=10, D=10 for all axes....." . Eventually it worked. Now I have some new issues (I don't understand why because they weren't there at that time): roll axis drift during accelerations and some jello from time to time. So the tweaking begins once again. At least now I know what to tweak
Well, thanks for your help again. I have it about the way I want it. It is a large gimbal for up to DSLR cameras and I don't have a bird large enough to fly it yet. Here in another month, I will have. I am getting an X6. Can't wait - especially since this gimbal is operating well.
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo Super Simple Gimbal - SSG - KK2.1 & OpenPilot support crezzee Aerial Photography 1643 May 04, 2015 01:47 PM
Yippee! Simple Brushless Gimbal Controller--FPV MODEL fpvmodels Multirotor Talk 3396 Dec 26, 2014 06:23 PM
Discussion A very simple camera-gimbal for Gaui 330xs babanan Multirotor Talk 2 Oct 09, 2013 08:46 AM