HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2014, 06:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,695 Posts
Flew again this weekend and I also got one of the top flyers to have a go ...

Myself and he had no hesitations ... it did the job well, so much so in fact - he said to leave it on for rest of his flight.

Dave - I have no illusions about it - I also fly helis - so I am not doing this without some understanding. Many mistakenly believe the stabilizer is Heading Hold ... its not - its Rate mode. This makes a marked difference.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:47 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,157 Posts
I am hopeing this site is still active....and if this has been answered please forgive..
I have the orange stabilizer and its fine...quick corrections..but In a gusty condiction on landing it still wags a lot...but I have used the FY-20A and it operates differently...It will hold the airelon down or up until the plane is level...the problem is flying it you have to overcome that on turns so it makes you have to imput twice the throw in a turn..use of the rudder helps a lot...but it makes the plane STEADY AS A ROCK... great for landing...so my question is where can I get a stabilizer that has both features...quick corrections in windy day and hold corrections in a gusty day...Is that heading hold??
That way I can use a switch to get both features...
thanks for your help
sanford
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:11 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,695 Posts
Hi sanman55 ....

The basic Orange Stabiliser as factory has only Rate Mode - this detects the model going of axis and applies a corrector to stop the deflection - but it does not return the model to exact same heading or attitude. It is an aid to YOU doing that. It basically smooths out wind induced gyrations of the model.

The re-flashed Ornage Stabiliser on the other hand does give option to change from RATE MODE to ATTITUDE HOLD ... by use of Tx control. This means that instead of just reacting and 'twitching' the control to nudge the model back - you can actually have it bring model back to heading / attitude .................. NOW this is getting dangerous though ...

To be honest I think it should be called something else as it does not act like HH on a Helicopter - well not on mine anyway !

Imagine : You have a model that is flying along ... you flick switch to ATTITUDE hold and enter a turn or manouevre - YOU have to physically tell that model to come out of it because the stabiliser is now HOLDING the MODEL where YOU put it in the manouevre..

Here is the re-flash statement :

Quote:
Stabilization modes
The AUX1 channel determines if the plane is in RATE mode or HOLD mode.
● RATE Mode ○ In this mode the device will stabilize in pitch, roll and yaw axis. The VR gain POTs on the RX3S (or the EEPROM setting) control the correction gain and direction for each of the three axis. ○ Note this mode has stabilization only ○ The PID “I” term is essentially zeroed out so the PID is not able to accumulate errors. ○ Default PID values for this mode is 500,0,500 for all three axis. ● Attitude HOLD Mode ○ Attitude HOLD allows the plane to fly with a fixed attitude (as long as there is sufficient power and control surface authority). ○ Attitude hold is short term as the gyros drift after a brief period. When the the sticks are moved to correct for any drift, the stick displacement alters the PID “I” term. This causes the accumulation of the error between the desired position and the current gyro reading over time and makes the correction more aggressive until the error is reduced to zero.. ○ Default PID values for this mode is 500,500,500 for all three axis.
Here's another quote from docs for re-flashed :

Quote:
Modes
There are two modes of use, RATE mode and HOLD mode. These are selected by the gain control.
RATE mode gives normal gyro correction of external disturbances. It also reduces the effect of the gyro as the transmitter stick is moved away from the centre position so that the gyro does not attempt to counter the pilot’s commands during aerobatics.
HOLD mode allows the gyros to hold the control positions as they are when the pilot centres the sticks. The aircraft can be flown as usual but if the sticks are released (centred) the controls will be adjusted to hold the aircraft in the attitude it was in at the moment of release. This mode is best tested at height because flying becomes different, since any moment-to-moment control input is locked as soon as the stick is centred. The model’s responses are not the same as usual. For initial sessions in HOLD mode it is advisable to use travel-adjust to restrict the maximum amount of gain available to as little as 15%, and increase the value later in the light of experience. Be sure of being able to revert instantly to RATE mode, or OFF, if the model shows any signs of becoming difficult to control.

Nigel
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:13 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
I am hopeing this site is still active....and if this has been answered please forgive..
I have the orange stabilizer and its fine...quick corrections..but In a gusty condiction on landing it still wags a lot...but I have used the FY-20A and it operates differently...It will hold the airelon down or up until the plane is level...the problem is flying it you have to overcome that on turns so it makes you have to imput twice the throw in a turn..use of the rudder helps a lot...but it makes the plane STEADY AS A ROCK... great for landing...so my question is where can I get a stabilizer that has both features...quick corrections in windy day and hold corrections in a gusty day...Is that heading hold??
That way I can use a switch to get both features...
thanks for your help
sanford
I think the Eagle tree one will do all you want and more.......but costs a lot more as well. Also the Spektrum AS3X system is a sort of half way but also expensive.

A lot of people have bought these cheap ones, used them and found their limitations and moved on. You seem to have reached that point as well.

I tend to use these for odd things these days, on a model yacht.... and also on a plane carrying a Gopro just to keep the wings level in the cruise at slow speed. They do this well.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:29 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,695 Posts
There are others as well ....

I'm waiting to test the P1 that Banggood sells at much lower cost than the Orange ... and later will try their other one similar priced to the Orange ...

Nigel
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:32 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,157 Posts
hey...thanks for the quick response..Thats not the way mine is.. the one that will hold the airelon up or down is really nice and I might put it back in...its cheap too..and if I use the rudder I can fly it...so like if I get out of wack and take my hands off the sticks it will level it again..Nano-3X 3-axis gyro for RC airplanes I found does what I want but I think its a built in receiver but not sure still researching...it has the normal rate mode like the hk one but it also has 2 different heading hold..one a lot stronger than the others...so you get the windy quick correction or the gusty hold day or the supergusty day with the stronger day or off...anyone seen that one ..?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:23 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,157 Posts
I feel like a nut.. I re-hooked up the one with the heading hold but put it on a 3 way, was on 2 way...guess what...it has rate mode too So now if it gets too windy for the rate mode I can switch to heading hold for landing I had what I needed all along
I think I have too many toys
Old Jan 07, 2015, 06:49 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,017 Posts
Here is a new Gyro recently released.
Due to Aussie dollar fluctuating like a loose elevator the price has changed from $45 to $50 in the last few days.
The good thing about it is that it has self levelling. This is a feature of the EagleTree Guardian that I liked.
I haven't got this one yet but am keeping it in mind for the future.
Size is 36 x 27.5 x 12 mm and weighs 10 grams less harness. It comes with the wiring harness.
Note that it has provision for 2 Ailerons. 6 Axis!

http://www.banggood.com/Dualsky-FC15...-p-958553.html

Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 07, 2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
New here, which it may show and forgive me if I have missed a post/thread with the answer already.

Setup: Dragon link ver2 receiver, Turnigy9x with ER9x firmware, OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis. Issue is that I can have control of all surfaces on my Penguin (Ail, rud, thro, elev) when not connected through the RX3S, but lose all control or function when I plug in the RX3S. Any suggestions?
AMPFPV is offline Find More Posts by AMPFPV
Old Jan 07, 2015, 09:55 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,017 Posts
Have no idea how dragonlink works but if it is the same as any other RX, then,
1. you have a dud RX3 gyro
2. you have it on the wrong settings (delta, vtail etc)
3. you have it connected incorrectly

If none of the above I have no other ideas.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Jan 07, 2015, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Sort of resolved the mysterious no control of surfaces...somehow...

Triple checked that all my wiring was correct, went to adjust some POTs and Switches on the 9x and voila somehow it works all of a sudden. I'm wondering if a previous post (I'll try to relocate and post the link) I came across about the RX's signal timing that is out of a specified range isn't recognized by the RX3S and wasn't sending info to the controls.

Now on to figuring out the er9x and setting up my switches for gyro gain on/off and pan/tilt for the camera.

Will update as to what I narrowed down was the culprit of the Dlink and RXCS issue, if possible.
AMPFPV is offline Find More Posts by AMPFPV
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
Hi everyone - I have an RX32 gyro receiver in my PZ T-28. However I am getting some odd gyro behaviour I was hoping you could comment on:
  1. When I increase the gyro function to about 3/4 of the way on the pitch, the plan jumps up and down the whole flight! It looks like the elevator is just going up and down up and down.
  2. When I increased the roll to 3/4, the plan almost looks like a 4 position switch when I do a hard roll right or left - it goes 30-40 degrees, stops, then goes another 30-40 degrees - very mechanical? Is that right? i expected the gyros to be fluid and not to interfere except for wind...
n
amorak is offline Find More Posts by amorak
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:43 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post
Hi everyone - I have an RX32 gyro receiver in my PZ T-28. However I am getting some odd gyro behaviour I was hoping you could comment on:
  1. When I increase the gyro function to about 3/4 of the way on the pitch, the plan jumps up and down the whole flight! It looks like the elevator is just going up and down up and down.
  2. When I increased the roll to 3/4, the plan almost looks like a 4 position switch when I do a hard roll right or left - it goes 30-40 degrees, stops, then goes another 30-40 degrees - very mechanical? Is that right? i expected the gyros to be fluid and not to interfere except for wind...
n
When gyro sensitivity is tooo high - you get oscillation on that surface ... what you see with the elevator. So dial that back till the oscillation stops.

The aileron roll ... I had hesitation on my Extra when I increased gyro on roll axis. But it was at start of command. I would give stick and model would take a split second before starting a more slow roll than normal. The gyro apparently fighting me. Again reducing sensitivity removed that ...

It's worth having the gyro on switch or variable rate pot .. so you can sellect sensitivity depending on what action you need .. low rate while doing aerobatics, high rate to land.

Nigel