May 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
JimN8UAY
Thread OP
Alert

Soaring Sunday #2 5/20/12

Got those hangar queens ready? Unlimited TD, 2meter, DLG, scale? What ever you've got, bring it because this Sunday is Soaring Sunday #2 and all looks good! Weather should be excellent, the field is dry and cut and all is in place for the start of the Summer Soaring Series of the AAGMC.

Plan is for setup between 9-10 am with flying to commence as soon as possible. Flying format will be open winch with retriever, with landing tapes out to help shake off the rust. Time to get those skills tuned up. First 5 pilots to hit the "hunskie" get a t-shirt for the efforts! (That's a 100 point spot on the tape from a winch launch for you non contesters! lol)

Coffee and snacks for those early birds who arrive to help with setup. Bring your own for lunch since we have the field until 3pm. Water will be provided and bring sunscreen; it should be warm and sunny if the forecasts hold. As always, if the weather should change, I will broadcast an email and post on RCGroups, Saturday evening/ Sunday morning if we need to cancel.

Any questions call or drop a line!

Jim C

PS...Remember you electric guys can bring your "winch in the nose" ALES planes and other electric assisted soarers along, too!
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2012, 09:59 PM
JimN8UAY
Thread OP
Weather looks good! Hope to see some glider guys in the morning!
May 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
JimN8UAY
Thread OP
Excellent day of flying this past Sunday! It was good to see some of the regulars again. Thanks to those who attended and helped out with setup and break down. The field is in excellent shape and although a few horseflies bugged us and the temps were a bit warm, it turned into a nice thermal day.

The sky was up all over and wasn't too hard to make times, if that's what you needed. I was working on "catch and release" as much as possible. Find a good core of lift then bring it down and relaunch or move out across the sky and try to find another patch. Great practice. I was also a bit concerned with the range on my FrSky module in the Genie so I didn't push the limits. After having a tough time with the system in the plane on Tuesday, I reworked the wiring, placement of antennas and battery and had better results this time. I need to build up some confidence before I commit it to anything bigger. It should be fine on the slope and with DLG, just a bit skeptical with the far range stuff.

Only a couple of attempts were made at the landing tape with my best effort being a 20 (boy do I need practice!), so I still have a couple of T-shirts to give away next time! Ken did a bit of damage to the tail fin/fuse of his Sagitta on one attempt but it looks repairable and hope to see it out flying again soon!

Thanks to Ken and Craig for bringing the EZ up canopies, the shade was greatly appreciated! Although we didn't tax the equipment much, the new battery worked fine. Never pulled a turnaround out of the ground before; that was a new experience!

Otherwise, a nice start to the Summer Soaring Series; it sure felt like summer!
Next event is Sunday June 10th and hope to see you then.

Jim C
Last edited by Jimn8uay; May 21, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply