HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2008, 04:51 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
317 Posts
Whoops!
Crazy Spin Solved

I was meaning to rearange the wires for my CX2 to be more organized, rather than a jumble twisted mess.

There was 2 main goals in mind while doing this.

1- to flip the RX around so that the 3in1 and servo conections could be made in the front instead of the back which was hard to access.

2- to route the wires in a clean organized line.

This was problamatic at first since I got the PTC fuses to use with the new motors that did not have any by default. These fuses are bulky and add a second nessesary connection which is hard to place.

After working the wires in a way that was workable to acheive the 2 goals I decided to take the Heli for a test flight.

As I applied power the Heli started to spin wildly to the right. I adjusted the trim in oposition and on the next try it spun like crazy to the left.. Something was wrong.

After searching the forums for similar occurances I found that most suggestions focused on the mechanical possibilities like binding, gears, motors, etc.. But I had made no change to the moving parts, only the wiring.

Trying to understand what was going on I considered the gyro within the 3in1. Its function is to counter any rudder slip with opposing force to center the yaw continuously.
So I ran a test, I turned on the TX, plugged in the pack and raised the throttle trim to a point just before the blades start to spin. I then held the Heli by the skids and gave the Bird a slight twist to one side. The Gyro responded as it should by giving power to one of the engines to counter...

Wooops.. wrong engine was trying to counter. So instead of getting opposing force the Gyro was giving power to the wrong motor thus increasing the twist / spin in the wrong direction.

Now it made sense. If the Gyro senses a slip it tried to counter but gave power the wrong engine, this increased the slip, so the gyro gave more authority to the wrong engine until the spin went balistic.

Simple fix. I switched the leads from the motors to the 3in1. and tested again. Now the Gyro was commanding the right engine to counter the slip.

Duh..

Just wanted to share this experience in the event someone encounters this problem and just can't figure it out. I hope it helps.
Mecos is offline Find More Posts by Mecos
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2008, 05:02 AM
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I couldn't figure it out, so I had to send it back to Horizon for service. They were great by the way (except for some tool whose name starts with a "D"). I couldn't believe it was something so simple or that I had made such a simple (read "dumb") mistake. Warantee work to boot. Thanks Horizon!
Coaxial Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Coaxial Pilot
Old Mar 09, 2008, 05:36 AM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
as much as i hate to say it... DUH: is right mark ur motors L & R if u ever decide to take them out for some reason so u dont go through this again. LOL u guys crack me up.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
144 Posts
Thanks. I'm glad I could brighten your day a little! Keep an eye out. I'll be cracking you up again soon I'm sure!
Coaxial Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Coaxial Pilot
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:19 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaxial Pilot
Thanks. I'm glad I could brighten your day a little! Keep an eye out. I'll be cracking you up again soon I'm sure!
LOL

I know... The funny part is that the leads "were" tagged. The problem was the PTC fuses. Those leads were not tagged, since I was originaly intent on leaving them conected to the 3in1. But since I had to move them to get the servo wires under, thats were the switch took place.

Just the same, the gyro test proved usefull to figure what could cause the spin like a top effect. I seen a few posts about this in the past and I am sure had you known Coaxial Pilot, it may have saved you a shipping back to Horizon.

So yes. mistakes happen Solving them is part of the fun.

Heli's are kool.
Mecos is offline Find More Posts by Mecos