HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2007, 08:12 AM
Warsaw, IN
Joined Apr 2004
125 Posts
Discussion
Gws B-2

I was at my local hobby shop last weekend and found an instore special. They had a GWS B-2 marked down to $20. For that price how could I go wrong? I searched the site and only found a couple of posts and no building threads. The kit came with EDF-55 - 150's. Do these have enough thrust to pull this along? One post said the B-2 does not like to fly slow. I have brushless motors for it, but how do you get the EDF apart? I found the two set screws on the shaft, but the impeller will still not pull off.

Chap
Chap is offline Find More Posts by Chap
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:25 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
They had a GWS B-2 marked down to $20.

That's below their cost!

What's happend?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Apr 07, 2007, 07:34 PM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Hi Chap , congrats on the great purchase , but I'm sorry to inform you that I 've never seen a GWS B2 fly. I don't know why and I've always wondered but haven't seen one yet. Our hobby shop had a big stack of them and they all got bought up ,but havn't been seen since, they had a shipment of A10s at the same time and lots of them showed up at the field -but no B2s.

Anyway heres the deal on the EDF 55. They were never meant to be disasembled but it can be done.
First you will have to pry off the plastic rotor with a small scew driver threw the hole in the side of the fan , very gently . spin and pry and spin and pry until its off, very gently , don't deform the fan!
Now take the screws out off the motor front, the motor will still be stuck in the mount by the aluminum center of the fan. You will have to cut the center ring out off the shroud to free it, you don't need this little bit of extra plastic anyway. Use a hot knife
or an exacto blade heated on a candle.
Ok the set screws are already out , heat the aluminum piece in the candle flame for about 30 seconds then pull it off gently but firmly with plyers. works every time ,I 've done lots of em!
To put it back together reheat and gently tap it back, on reinstall set screws, remount in shroud install screws and gently tap the fan back on , you will have to support the motor axle any time you tap parts back on the front.
Good luck on the B2 keep us informed!
billsmithjr is offline Find More Posts by billsmithjr
Old Apr 07, 2007, 07:41 PM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
Oh and I think the EDF 55 150 was designed for two cell lipo which may have doomed it to be a dog?
Old Apr 07, 2007, 07:46 PM
Warsaw, IN
Joined Apr 2004
125 Posts
billsmithjr,
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Mr. Lin, the low price was due to a clearance sale. He had two, both marked down to $19.99. The owner said one of his employees bought one and could not get it to fly.
My thoughts are the 150's don't have much thrust and being buried in the fuselage probably even less. I will try to increase the thrust and see what happens.

Thanks,
Chap
Last edited by Chap; Apr 08, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:12 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I built and flew one about a year ago but it crashed due to one of the fans rubbing on the shroud. I still have another nib, mabe I should have another go.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:16 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
My B2 flew ok until the second flight when the fans started rubbing on the ducts and the right one quit in flight. Crashed. It was powered by a 2s 1250 lipo pack.
I repowered it with the smaller GWS out runner in the nose and it flew a lot better. All flights were hand launched and without wheels. C.G was per manual.
NOTHING else looks like a B2 in flight ! ( I paid $25 for mine under similar conditions. )
I gave the fans to a friend...after I could not disassemble them.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:58 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Can't make GWS B-2 fly?

http://www.gwsus.com/vcd/b2-1.wmv

Trust me, and you can make it too!

Ocassionally, many bad mouth against to GWS aiplanes! But in fact, every airplane what we made always carefully designed before run the production.
Last edited by GWS4CEO; Apr 08, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 03:56 PM
Warsaw, IN
Joined Apr 2004
125 Posts
Mr. Lin
I agree that all your GWS models fly. However, your earlier kits were undeniably under powered. My first electric airplane was your P-51 with the 100 size motor. While it did fly, it just did not fly as well as your later 350 size kits.
My intentions are to upgrade the thrust package in the B2 to EDF 50's (2030x3) using Feigao 1208425 motors, (2) 10A EPS and one 1300 3 cell Lipo battery. This should produce a total of 18 ounces of thrust (not counting any reductions due to airflow restrictions). I do enjoy your kits and look at the B2 as potentially the fastest GWS kit I own. Right know my 400 outrunner powered GWS P-51 is my fastest GWS kit.
Chap
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:36 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Dear Chap, glad to hear that you up grade the power, you also can cut the foam in front of airintake and rear part after air out let.

I guess that you just newly to RC electric fly? So called GWS airplanes under powered? Because of that you had no chance to try older RC electric airplanes before 2000?

However, I finally understand in the American flyer's dictionary: there is no " Over power" such words.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 08:26 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
I have no negatives about the actual flying ability of the B2. The problem was with both of the fan units rubbing the ducts and the subsequent loss of of the right unit. This condition did not manifest itself during bench run ups. The radial scoring of the ducts by both rotors happened in the air using a 2s 1250 lipo. The flights were conducted in 60 degree F. temperatures. There were no high G turns.
I have sucessfully built and flown about a dozen deltas and flying wings since 1965.
My 14th GWS project is in process..and I am sure there will be many more.
I choose to ignore the " badmouth " comment.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Apr 08, 2007, 09:47 PM
Amishtown, Maryland
Joined Sep 2003
795 Posts
So what happened to make the fans rub?
hey Chap if you go with the feigaos you won't have to dismantle the 55s.
And the 50s come apart almost to easy, but I got a set in my old A10 and it really howls pretty good.but just to make life simple I'd try it stock first.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:02 AM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts

Well this thread has motivated me to build mine but first I need to find a pair of 300's. Since converting my GWS A-10 from the edf 50's to to the edf 150 300's it is a whole different plane.
Last edited by wellington53; Apr 13, 2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typing error
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Got started on the build of my B-2 last night. So far I've got the the outer wings glued on with the ailerons all in place. I don't want to use the supplied 150's and you can't replace them with 300 because that motor is slightly larger so I'm going to order a pair of new edf 300 fans complete. Anyone interested on how this will fly?
Glenn.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
I feel sad that such a nice products had introduced, but not too many flyers had experienced how wounderful GWS B2 is!