HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2014, 06:28 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Build Log
Sweepwings Juggernaut Build Down Under

Hi all.

After assembling some ARFS from Hobbyking, namely the Bixler, the Sky Eye and the Sonic 64, I am attempting my first non ARF kit :P Practically zero building experience and horrible ironing skills so will be interesting to see what a noob can do with this wing.

Copying Appelms build thread, so thanks to him for making this build easier.

Anyway, time to get started.

Day 0
---------------------------

Kit arrived today, white one instead of the usual black:

5 days from USA to Australia, and good quality too. Laminate was left out of kit but should be here soon.

Using these glues for the build. UHU Por to glue the wings together, gorrila for the spars and CA for the servos and motor mount.

Will get started on the build tomorrow and estimate 3 days for the build.

List of parts going on it:

Juggernaut: http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...kvk4cveu017786
Turningy NTM 3536 1800kv Motor: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
NTM Accessories: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
Turnigy Plush 60amp ESC: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

Will list more as I go.
stonedpirate is online now Find More Posts by stonedpirate
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Day 1
-----------------------------

Ok, glued the wing halves together with UHU POR. I decided against cutting the spar channels with a soldering iron and using gorilla glue. Instead, i just made a slit with my hobby knife and used UHU POR to glue the spar in. It worked well without the mess of gorilla glue.

Unfortunately, a spar was missing from my kit so was unable to finish it today. Now I have to search around for a fiberglass spar so i can finish the nose section.

Due to the spar and laminate missing from my kit, it will take longer than 3 days to build.

Battery bay is cut and electronics placed in a rough layout for cutting in tomorrow.

Hopefully my laminate shows up tomorrow and i'll be nearly finished

Old Apr 08, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Day 2
---------------------------

Thought I would do some painting today before I cut out the component bays.

Wasn't sure what paint to buy so I guessed and picked these cans up:

Lesson learned about painting foam. Wanted a nice white wing so I painted the whole thing white. 5 layers of paint later and the white looks gray. The foam was whiter than the paint lol. Probably shouldnt have painted the whole wing. Oh well.

Next step was to cut my balsa elevons. Went pretty easily. I just used the provided foam elevons to cut my balsa to size, then just cut some angles. I beveled the leading and trailing edges by running a blade several times over the wood then sanded smooth.

I finished the battery bay, ended out cutting another little section so my storm osd had its own space right of CoG.

I will smother the inside of the bay with UHU Por and glue down some velcro shortly.

After 3 coats of black paint to my elevons, they were ready to fly. Painting balsa was much nicer than painting foam

I also drilled the motor mount and glued it to the wing. Only things left to do is insert my fpv gear, laminate the wing, make a corflute batterbay cover and attach the winglets.

Should be all done tomorrow if the postman shows up with my laminate. Quite disappointed it took much longer to post than the wing itself. Sierra RC wont give me a tracking number for it so cant check if it was indeed sent by express post. Oh well...
Last edited by stonedpirate; Apr 09, 2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 06:36 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Day 3
------------------------

Head spinning from burning EPP fumes :P Got the components cut in, hatch made. Will finish up the art work tomorrow and laminate it as soon as it arrives in the post.

Day 4
----------------------

Final stages before laminate completed. Got the paint on. Tested the wiring and everything works so tomorrow will be laminate, wing tips, camera mounting and final photos Maiden on Monday!

Last edited by stonedpirate; Apr 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:13 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Day 5
---------------------

A new Juggernaut has been born! All done Build went smoothly. Will change the servos at some point because they are loud. Sounds like morse code lol. Just need to add the prop and will add the cameras after the maiden. Will do a final review of the Jug after her first flight on Monday.

Thanks to all those who helped me get her done

Maiden
-----------------------------

The day has come to test this bird out. This is how it was configured for the flight:

Those two black things either side of the center camera are 110 gram lead star sinkers. Thats 220 grams to make up for the lack of gopro camera and to get it level at the recommended center of gravity.

I took 4 x 5000mah batteries with me so I would have plenty of time to tweak her.

Without further ado, here is the maiden flight

I recommend viewing it in HD 1080 or you will barely see the plane.

Sweep Wings Juggernaut Maiden Flight (1 min 40 sec)

The wind was around 10 knots. At 50% throttle it wanted to fly out of my hand, i barely had to throw it.

Flight one was scary. It was wobbling all over the place and I was thinking, "is it nose heavy? tail heavy? servo broken? ailerons too big?" then I remembered that i forgot to set a rate switch and was flying at 100% with zero expo. As soon as i realized that i went steady on the sticks and brought her straight down. Next flight was 40% expo at 35% rates and that seemed to do the job.

It was waaaaaaaay too nose heavy with those big ass sinkers up front. I had to trim the elevator full up to keep her nose up.

I have since removed the sinkers and put on 60% of the original weight and now balance at 7" 1/2 for cg.

Unfortunately my storm osd return to home wasnt working so i only flew LOS and didnt go too far away. Hopefully will get it working tonight and i will get some stats from tomorrows flight like top speed, climb rate, battery consumption etc etc.

Final thoughts

Well, i think I made the right choice on this wing. It was between this, the zephyr II or the scout bee.

I chose the Jug because it looked cool, was the right size and is bullet proof.

The kit is quality and super simple to build. Sierra RC go above and beyond to fix any mistakes so I doubt you will have any trouble with them.

Final verdict, 10 out of 10
Last edited by stonedpirate; Yesterday at 04:52 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:42 AM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
474 Posts
Looking good
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Apr 10, 2014, 05:46 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Thanks Ghard
Old Apr 10, 2014, 06:13 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedpirate View Post
Day 3
------------------------

Head spinning from burning EPP fumes
Be careful bro, good way to give yourself chemical pneumonia.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Apr 10, 2014, 06:34 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Yeah, probably should have wore a mask.

Was well ventilated though so hopefully got away with it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:44 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Looking good stone! Nice layout work and I use 2 fans on me to get the fumes away out side.

Take a rest for sure.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:19 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Thanks Ruben. Woke up today feeling normal so no harm done

Was about to give up hope of getting the laminate by the weekend. Got home from work and the lam was sitting on my doorstep

Haven't done any work on it today due to no lam.

This time tomorrow there will be a finished Jug here so stay tuned :P
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:30 AM
Joined Dec 2013
277 Posts
Well, couldnt resist a little work on it lol.

I was trying to think of how to finish the look of the wing but i totally suck at art.

Went for the traditional race stripes.

My final design from photoshop:

After half an hour with a spray can, lets just say using a paper stencil was a bad idea. The word "Juggernaut" looks more like a black rectangle lol.

Will have to try fix it up before i take anymore photos.

Also have given up on the logo to avoid further disaster.

:P
Last edited by stonedpirate; Apr 11, 2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:25 AM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
474 Posts
Looks sweet!
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Mar 2014
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedpirate View Post
using a paper stencil was a bad idea
Try laying a piece of black tape on there nice and square, and cutting the letters out of that. Peel away the excess when you're done, and lay clear tape over the top to prevent peeling corners.
WindOverMatter is offline Find More Posts by WindOverMatter
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:57 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Looking good! I was thinking a sticker machine would be cool to have for stuff like this. Awesome!
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris