HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Slope Aerobatics (Video)

Look at how far we've come

Splash

Awesome Slope Aerobatics Video

When I got into sloping 15 years or so ago the idea of slope aerobatics was screaming down and doing some rolls and loops and flying inverted. It was pretty limited, but I can remember seeing one pilot flying a wingeron ship in some heavy lift and he managed to get his plane into a flat spin so fast it was like a top and it actually maintained altitude and even climbed in the crazy lift. That blew my mind. Since then slope aerobatics have come a long way. Knife edge flight used to be joke, but now it's possible. Just when you think the boundaries cannot be pushed any further, someone creates an aircraft that can do things previously thought impossible.

Case in point is the slope video shown below that I came across this weekend. I had two emotions after watching it. The first emotion was Joy. It was amazing watching this thing fly and what it could do. The second emotion was sadness. Sadness came after realizing that I don't live close to any kind of slope site that would allow such flying. Anyway, just watch the video and try not to be sad.

Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:23 AM
United States, CO, Black Forest
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Great video. Thanks much for posting. Really neat to watch.
cliffyj is offline Find More Posts by cliffyj
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:42 AM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,644 Posts
Crazy! I kept looking for the guy holding the fishing pole with the strings.
Sad people should not stand on cliff ...
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Slowboat
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:15 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
19,896 Posts
Jason, you're welcome to come visit me in Santa Barbara any time. We've got your room & board covered and you're welcome to fly my planes.

Thanks for posting the vid. Slope aerobatics is a true joy to which I have dedicated the last 10+ years of my life.

Steve

P.S. - Ultrabatics (what we are calling this flavor of slope aerobatics) works everywhere from small coastal dunes, to cliffs, to alpine ridges. You probably *do* have a slope site where you can fly this way...

Dawson in the Dunes:
Le Fish Light Cruises Marina Beach Dunes (2 min 45 sec)

Alpine Ultrabatics at 10,000 MSL:
Alpine UltraBatics (10 min 7 sec)

Winter Buzz:
Buzz Evolution slope soaring Mormon Lake Overlook, Arizona, 02-08-14 (4 min 14 sec)

The whole point of ultrabatics is to make ultra-maneuverable, ultra-durable planes that are capable of flying at sites that don't really support traditional aerobatics gliders that often. They fly great in light lift but can take more lift, too... the trick is to custom tailor the plane to your local conditions. It's not hard; there's tons of info on how to build your own successful ultrabat on http://www.lefish.org

Or just have Justin "JGAF" Gafford build one for you, like Dawson and I did with the Buzz Evo...
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Mar 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
4,447 Posts
Awesome thanks ! I may take you up on that sometime.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Apr 08, 2014, 08:25 AM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
this plane is awsome, were can you buy it ?
hummer0100 is offline Find More Posts by hummer0100
Old Apr 08, 2014, 09:30 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
19,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer0100 View Post
this plane is awsome, were can you buy it ?
From Justin "JGAF" Gafford. Information on models, prices, etc here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2089215
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Buzz Evo RTF acro glider review