HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:22 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Discussion
TameCat, Jeff Troy, The World Models

A number of guys at my club mentioned that they had flown Jeff Troy's TameCat (F-14 prop jet sorta look alike) as a trainer in the 1970's. So I wanted to evaluate it as a trainer, and possibly as a club trainer.

Most beginners at the club are flying foamies (nothing wrong with this), but these light planes do not teach gentle landing skills for heavier planes, and often rudder control and throttle control skills are not learned well. I am evaluating the 5.6 pound TameCat as a heavier, club trainer. It also looks a lot better than a Cub.

I am including this in the Fun Fly section, as I put the biggest engine suggested by Jeff Troy (.70 4-stroke glow) on my plane, and am having a lot of fun.

Source: web: airbornemodels (California) $205 shipped to your car port in America.

Basic info:
http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2609 Troy’s TameCat 69” 5.6lbs $189 60-90 FS glow, flies like a pussycat. 16 oz wing loading, 50” fuselage.

Servos: Solar A109 42g analog 0.21 sec, 6v 90 ounce/inches, about $6 at hobbypartz on the web.

Voltage regulator: 6v 8A hobbyking for about $15

Engine: ASP .70 4-stroke glow, about $123 + shipping from hobbyking.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:30 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Quality assessment:
1. covering I would rate as "C": looks pretty good (a printed F-14 pattern), most wrinkles will blow out with a hair drier, BUT be careful, as some wrinkles will not go away with a hair drier, and persistence will ruin some of the covering. It took some iron work and CA to finish the covering tightening.
2. good quality fuselage and wings
3. very soft balsa on the rudders
4. other hardware is OK
Last edited by wuest3141; Feb 06, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:38 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
A couple build notes:
1. the pre-installed blind nuts on these ARFs never match the engine that I want to install! I mounted the .70 ASP FS inverted, and put in 4 new blind nuts in the firewall.
2. I glassed a bit from the firewall to the box behind the firewall, for strength
3. With a .70 FS the nose will be heavy, so...
4. I put the servo/RX battery (2200 mAh 2S LiPo) in the fuselage behind the wing
5. I put quite a bit of lead underneath the rear fuselage servo tray to make CG
6. A Sullivan #741 12 oz tank fits in the fuselage
7. I swapped out the supplied nose wheel for a BIGGER one, to give the TameCat a more positive angle of attack on takeoffs.
8. the throttle pushrod housing will need a lot of attachments to bulkheads, as it runs from the rear fuselage right up to the engine.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:54 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Flight evaluation:

The ASP .70 FS likes an 11 x 7" prop best, and will fly vertical loops with this.

The TameCat flies with "heft", and penetrates the wind surprisingly well (there is a sharp leading edge on the wing). But it slows down to a crawl when landing.

Without raising the nose on the ground, you will have to get the TameCat going about 30 mph before the elevator loads, and UP pressure will cause the plane to rotate and leap into the sky (not what you want). A bigger nose wheel makes for slower takeoffs.

The fake air inlets seem to add up pressure on the leading edge, as you increase speed. I didn't add any down thrust to the firewall angle, and handled this with a few DOWN elevator clicks. For "wave off" carrier landings, I like a bit of UP pitch when I go from idle to full throttle, as this pulls the nose up and gains altitude. The TameCat stalls at low speed, and I have never any problem with it stalling under decent throttle power. Just level it off before you use up all your speed, in a climb.

The 69 inch wing and 16 ounce wing loading allow the plane to take off at slow speed (until you get used to this, you will be thinking that it will stall!). Get used to its slower speed range, up high, after you trim it out.

The ASP .70 FS will give you almost vertical flight, after it is broken in (but not before).

Rudder action will roll the plane, and will require opposite aileron action. Practice the opposite aileron action until you can pull very tight turns without spiralling to your death!

The unique body shape (flat bottom, and short length) allows a pilot to swing the plane around in very tight turns, or in almost vertical, tight turning "wave off" go-arounds climb outs. Once you get to know how the plane flies, you can crank almost full rudder turns (with opposite aileron pressure to keep the plane from spiralling to its death) in wonderfully small, mushing turns. You could never do this with a standard high wing trainer.

Take care to line up landings well:
1. bleed off altitude long before you reach the runway
2. reduce throttle long before you reach the runway
3. get a really low idle on the engine, or the plane will roll forever and will taxi too fast to turn.
Last edited by wuest3141; Feb 06, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 05:13 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
837 Posts
Conclusions:

This TameCat flies quite differently than the average high wing trainer, and I like the way it flies. The 12 oz tank allows a good 10 minutes of flying, with some fuel still left in the tank for landing. An ASP .70 4-stroke gives almost vertical unlimited flight, and the plane responds with very tight vertical loops, horizontal loops, and tight climbing turns. It mushes its tail around more like a jet than a plane.

The TameCat glides forever, and almost keeps flying on a fast idle. So landings must be carefully lined up, with proper elevation and throttle control. You may want to treat the axles so that the wheels have some natural braking action, to make ground handling easier.

Make sure to put lead in the tail, to balance a bigger than .46 engine and to make CG in the manual.

This plane is a blast as a fun fly, and its unique flight abilities make it enjoyable for someone with skills beyond a beginner. As a trainer, it flies with "heft" and requires precision in landings, so probably would not be a good first plane for a beginner. But anyone who wants to move up to a "Stick" plane may have a lot more fun with the TameCat, than a Stick.

I rate the TameCat as a good value for a fun fly, or an alternative to a Stick.

I hope that this evaluation of a classic Jeff Troy trainer design, will be useful.
Last edited by wuest3141; Feb 06, 2014 at 05:25 PM.