HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2013
45 Posts
Yippee!
Damn Scary 450 CP Heli's

Hey guys! I recently started flying, first with a FP heli, and now I've got a CP heli. The first time I took it out I crashed it . I then got a simulator, "fixed" the heli, took it out again and crashed again. I then took it to a shop to have it fixed properly. Today as I was sitting at home I was debating with myself as to whether I should try again today or not. To be honest I was too scared to fly the damn thing! Scared of both the cost and the possibility of bodily harm, should something go wrong. I started it up slowly and as I increased the throttle I noticed the vertical stabiliser digging into the ground. My first thought was that the heli was broken again! But then I figured what the hell I'll try and adjust for it, as I remember the battery they used to set it up in the shop was heavier than the one I use. And lo and behold, I finally got it into the air! Was still scared as hell! Hoping to get over the fear soon!
Nightshriek is offline Find More Posts by Nightshriek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:37 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,133 Posts
Nice progress!
Yes, heli's are scary. They are definitely not toy-grade machines.
Over the years i flew the 450's, fear has been replaced by a deep respect.

The fear of crashing will get less. Once you learn to use throttle-hold and try to get the heli as level as possible on mishaps, it will greatly reduce the amount of parts broken when stuff goes wrong. learn to fix it yourself. you will catch problems before they make you crash.

Use the sim to practice your orientations, set up a short term learning plan, practice it on the sim, practice your bailouts... then fly for real. If you stay within your limits on the heli you will probably not crash a lot.

Have fun
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:26 PM
Montecristo for breakfast
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Joined May 2004
91 Posts
Who ever says a 450 CP heli is a toy is an idiot!!! They are not toys. It is a serious hobby like some people like to shoot guns and some like to juggle chain saws.

If you are NOT afraid of your heli and don't give it proper respect then you definitely should not fly RC helicopters. Don't give up. We were all afraid of our heli..... I for one still am and always give it great amount of caution and respect.

Eventually, it will turn into an addiction.... I am a certified heli junky now! I get a high flying my heli every time. It is a complete rush like no drug.
Maduro is offline Find More Posts by Maduro
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:46 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,583 Posts
Scary's too strong a word, I prefer to call it 'intimidating'. And no, you'll never actually get over it. There are so many things to check on a helicopter and any one of them could lead to a crash. That fear of crashing, or worse, crashing into someone, is what encourages you to check and double check everything every time you fly. I have a checklist that I follow each time (i.e. check blades, check screw, check slack, check switches, all ok, throttle hold on, flight mode, etc.) if I get distracted, I start over. I've had too many close calls with the blades inches from my face to take risks. If you lose that fear, you get complacent, bad things will happen.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:22 PM
Death before decaff
United States, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jun 2013
341 Posts
Nice job!

I'm in close to the same boat, though I went from Coax to Micro CP without doing FP or Quads in between. Really wish I'd gotten the simulator before I bought the first CP. The first time I flew my Blade 400 3D, after playing in the simulator, I found out it wasn't actually set up correctly but only managed to skuff up the ends of the blades. Fortunately, no other damage.

I don't have a lot of flights under my belt with it yet, and I still get that kind of buzzy super focused feeling every time the rotors spool up. Eventually, I know, my confidence will build - just like yours will too.
live4java is offline Find More Posts by live4java
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshriek View Post
Hey guys! I recently started flying, first with a FP heli, and now I've got a CP heli. The first time I took it out I crashed it . I then got a simulator, "fixed" the heli, took it out again and crashed again. I then took it to a shop to have it fixed properly. Today as I was sitting at home I was debating with myself as to whether I should try again today or not. To be honest I was too scared to fly the damn thing! Scared of both the cost and the possibility of bodily harm, should something go wrong. I started it up slowly and as I increased the throttle I noticed the vertical stabiliser digging into the ground. My first thought was that the heli was broken again! But then I figured what the hell I'll try and adjust for it, as I remember the battery they used to set it up in the shop was heavier than the one I use. And lo and behold, I finally got it into the air! Was still scared as hell! Hoping to get over the fear soon!

Nightshriek,

I think about the only thing that will allay that fear is lots of time logged flying.

It helps if you can fly it at least a little bit every day. I know that in my case if too much time passed between flights the weak knees and shaky hands would return.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2013
45 Posts
Been flying it basically every day since I posted, except for one days repairs. As long as the bird's in the air its fine, but when I put it down the shaky hands and heavy breathing are there! Especially when the stupid dog tried to attack the heli!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Been flying it basically every day since I posted, except for one days repairs. As long as the bird's in the air its fine, but when I put it down the shaky hands and heavy breathing are there! Especially when the stupid dog tried to attack the heli!
Well, he'll only attack it once! (Unless he's really, really stupid!)
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:52 AM
Joined Dec 2013
45 Posts
Haha ja that's for sure!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
307 Posts
4 years back I learn from the hard way for flying RC Helicopter, for me it was bad move to get a CP 250 size on the first flight and you know what happened.
Later I thought to myself the bigger one like 450 size should be better than small one, and you all know what happened again!
Frustration, and finally get a micro FP to start learning and finally make progress till now.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
Old Jan 26, 2014, 03:54 PM
i can hover nose-in now!
United States
Joined Apr 2013
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Especially when the stupid dog tried to attack the heli!
funny story yesterday. I'm there doing some figure 8's in the alley between the jungles. jungle behind me and jungle in front of me. Small "wind tunnel" in between and that's where i fly right to left, left to rightyou get the idea.

anyways, i'm making this pass and notice all of a sudden guy walked out of jungle walking his two dogs...not very smart guy and pretty stupid dog too. He doesn't even turn around to see the thing, just walking slowly minding his own business. one of the dogs comes up to me sniffing my legs and i'm likei'm not a tree you can pee on dogey. All that while i transitioned into a hover. i didn't put the bird down. who knows, i may be shredding dog hair all over it if the dogs decides to take a peek up close

then i crashed, cos sun was going behind trees and created this dark shadow on the ground. well, it looks dark after looking at bright sky. eyes need to adjust if you go below a certain altitude. controlled flight into terrain while making a coordinated turn. well, it was coordinated alright

funny thing though, main shaft didn't get bent. 3 servo horns broke off, landing gear broke and main gear got tooth decay all fixed up now and made 3 flights already.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,125 Posts
My deep respect for Heli's has kept me from flying my 500 much....it's a shelf queen. What's funny is I know a lot of heli guys who would say, "that little thing?" Well, the blades look scary enough for me to have deep respect for them.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 29, 2014, 05:56 PM
i can hover nose-in now!
United States
Joined Apr 2013
1,071 Posts
they make great noise! have a spin-around.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher