HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, GA, Duluth
Joined Jul 2009
55 Posts
Help!
Trans-Sonic Rocket - F-13TS

Hi All,
I'm still a rocket amateur but I'm building most from scratch. I have two other rockets to finish first, but one of my future projects is to create a very simple trans-sonic or super-sonic rocket powered by the Estes G motor (which I can get at my local Hobby Lobby).

So, questions:
1. What is the best nosecone shape for trans-sonic or super-sonic speed?

2. I plan to use a BT-55 (the heavy duty version) paper tube for minimum diameter with 3 small fiberglass reinforced balsa fins going through the tube and epoxied to the motor tube.
Now I know that at trans-sonic and sonic speeds the CP moves upward negating the already small fins. How do I combat this without adding too much drag?

3. Also, is there a proven fin shape for this?
evildave42 is offline Find More Posts by evildave42
to remove ads between posts