HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mike
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Discussion
Setting up the Devo 7 TX for the genius cp

Hey guys, I just bought the genius cp and am waiting for it to get here, does anyone have any advice on setting up the devo 7 tx for 3d flight, anything at all would be very helpful, thank you.

Mike Henry
mr11082@aol.com
Miker456 is offline Find More Posts by Miker456
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,622 Posts
You'll just have to learn it. The best way i can teach you is by sitting down next to you and showing it to you. The way the menu works, it's very hard to explain it via text.

To start, it will come with a big sheet of paper that says "The guidelines for Genius CP and DEVO Radios". You just have to focus on inputting those values into the transmitter.

Ignore everything under "1.4 Reverse Switch Settings" (Those are all default values anyway) and "(1) three axis flight mode" (You will be flying it in three axis mode, but use six axis settings to set your dual rates and make it less twitchy until you get used to it).

"(2) Three-Axis Flight Mode", it's under function/DREXP. It has POS0, POS1, POS2, but you only need to set POS0 and POS1 since the D/R switch on the upper right is just a two way switch. This is where you set the Dual Rates and Exponential. After setting this up, the D/R switch will allow you to set how responsive the heli is.

"1.6 Throttle Curve", it's under function/THCRV. Those values under the letters L, M and H. Goes under P--L, P--M, and P--H respectively. Normal, ST1 and ST2, corresponds to the three way FMD switch in the upper right corner. Normal is where you set the throttle from 0 to 100%. ST1 and ST2 are the 'IDLE UP/3D/Stunt' modes and where you usually set the throttle to always be around 80-100%. The names are a misnomer since you can actually set all three positions to accept either normal and stunt values.

"1.7 Pitch Curve", it's under function/PTCRV. It's pretty much the same as the THCRV above. Just input the Normal/ST1/ST2 and the P--L,P--M,P--H values like before. Main difference is that MODE now says Normal/ST1/ST2/THHOLD. That last one determines the range of the pitch when you pull the throttle hold switch. I recommend setting THHOLD to 0 across the board since the GeniusCP doesn't auto-rotate.

"1.8 Gyro Sensor", this is your gyro gain located under function/GYRO. Pretty much the most straight forward menu in the transmitter. It's assigned to the three way switch labeled 'MIX' located next to the D/R switch on the upper right.

That's it. The switch and knob on the upper left GEAR and AUX2 serve no purpose on the GeniusCP, just ignore them.

A quirk with this heli is that the main gear is attached to the main shaft by friction alone. There is no screw holding it in place. This means if the blades were to suddenly stop with the motor running (i.e. you crash it), the flimsy plastic gear will flex and get ejected from the heli. This has the benefit of saving the main shaft and motor, and all you have to do is find the main gear and push it back in. The downside is that after a while, the hole in the main gear will get rounded (the end of the main shaft is bevelled and the main gear hole is keyed to match it) and will start falling off by itself. By this time you should get a new main gear. If you start the heli and the propeller isn't getting power, check if the main gear had slid down and out of alignment with the main motor.

Also check that there's no 'give' in the main shaft. When you wiggle the main shaft up and down, there should be no slack. Any kind of slack will cause the main gear to lose alignment with the motor. If there is, loosen the screw holding the shaft collar and push it down right up against the frame. Both the main gear and collar should be pressed against the main frame. Don't worry about friction, the part they'll be resting against are the bearings, they won't actually be touching the frame directly.

There are a few more options on the TX for finetuning the heli. But as the guy at the LHS kept saying, "Before you start tweaking, worry about getting it off the ground first"

One more thing. Don't start the heli right into IDLE UP (3D Mode), the stress of going from dead stop to full throttle instantly may actually cause the main gear to be ejected. Always power up the throttle gradually in Normal mode before switching to 3D.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Last edited by Hajile; Oct 18, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mike
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice Hajile, it's a very helpful start and its exactly the info I was looking for. Sorry it took so long for me to write back, I've been very busy with work. Well, I got my genius cp today, and when I wind up my main rotor, while using minimal throttle, it just spins to the left very fast, and only gets worse the more throttle I give. I thought it came with a charger, but it didn't, so here are the few adjustments I was able to do before I ran out of power. I tried to use the rudder trim button below the throttle until the indicator was all the way to the right witch helped a little. That's all I was able to do until my charger gets here in a few days. Is there anything I can adjust on the heli itself to remedy this problem? What else can I adjust on the TX to help also? Thanks again for any advice you can give me, and for what you shared before.

Mike- mr11082@aol.com
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,622 Posts
Make sure the Gyro menu is set up properly. That's what's keeping the heli from spinning out of control.

To check if you've set everything correctly. You can go to the '"MONIT" menu. There's nothing for you to set inside, it just displays the values the TX is sending to the heli. The value under "GYRO" should not be at zero.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:35 PM
Mike
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
So I went to the function menu, then went to the gyro menu, and all three switch positions were at 50%, so I assume that's the issue. I set them at 97% 87% 77%, does that sound right? Also, is the mix switch setting supposed to be on manuel or auto? Thanks again.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,622 Posts
The manual that comes with it says

Mode:Manual
Switch:Mix
Pos0:75
Pos1:70
Pos2:50

In larger helis, you can disable the onboard Gyro by setting the Gyro Gain below 50. But on micros, turning off Gyro makes them unflyable.

Either Pos0 or Pos1 will do. Just don't go to Pos2.

For now, it does not matter if you're doing Normal or 3D flying, you just need that tail to be steady.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
more questions

I have been looking for the right thread to ask a few possibly silly questions re. the Devo 7 and my MiniCP. Hope this is the place and you have patience!

Had the Devo 7 out yesterday and the Mini flying... first time with a CP, quite a bit of wind, very exciting and the broken tailboom is already replaced.

I am struggling with a few settings in the D7. Just one issue for starters:

the output settings:

GEAR: I can assign the function GEAR to any of the switches. As I don't use the function GEAR I choose GEAR and then INH

AUX 2: I assign the function AUX 2 to the switch MIX and then choose GYRO

In effect I have now disabled the switch GEAR, I have the switch MIX for three settings of GYRO, and in a roundabout way I have also disabled the rotary knob AUX 2 because I have taken the function AUX 2 (being now GYRO) and assigned it to MIX leaving the knob AUX 2 without function.

Please tell me I am right because it took me quite a while to understand this, especially since the label AUX2 is used for a knob and for a function...
torsten01 is offline Find More Posts by torsten01
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,622 Posts
Gear switch and knob works pretty well on the RX-701 receiver, i've tried it out by attaching an extra servo to the seventh channel, it works as expected. Would be great for attaching the trigger switches for the dual airsoft guns when i get around to building it ^___________^ Otherwise, it's useless on the micros. Just ignore them.

Just assign the three gyro values to the MIX switch (Mine is 80-60-50) and don't worry about it. If you get a larger heli and decide you want a rotary knob on your gain, then you can swap the leads arounds.