HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
oh man...if you coulda been quicker you coulda sucked the magic smoke up and blown it back into the ESC within 5 seconds of release and it would have been fixed...oh well, proper magic smoke reintroduction techniques sometimes evade us in the heat of the moment
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
571 Posts
So true...you know what they say, "when in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout"
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
778 Posts
When ESCs come from the factory the settings are in their default setting. However the throttle end points are not set until you programme them in. Some might be close to your tx's signal so are pretty close others can only be set to give about ffty percent power when your tx is at full throttle. the manual should tell you how to do this.
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOSIERRAROM View Post
When ESCs come from the factory the settings are in their default setting. However the throttle end points are not set until you programme them in. Some might be close to your tx's signal so are pretty close others can only be set to give about ffty percent power when your tx is at full throttle. the manual should tell you how to do this.
I have never had to program throttle end points on an ESC? I have programmed braking, starts, and cut offs. I tried to find some info on this online but found nothing for this ESC. The ESC's did not come with any paperwork and there was no mention of that programing function in the online manual from HK? I was trying to reset default (just to see) when the one smoked I still have the other one, maybe I could get it to work if I had more info
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,198 Posts
The way I did throttle end points with mine was. Turn TX on, set throttle to full, plug in RX battery/ESC lipo then wait for the beep from esc to let you know that it has been received. Set throttle to off to arm system.

Hope that helps.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
571 Posts
deuce, thanks for the info. I will try that infact in the directions with my new esc's it tells you how to set the throttle points just like you said. I have the airframe assembled and am in the process of sanding the WBPU/talc to get ready for paint. I tried using the spray poly but after sanding it and shooting a light coat of primer it did not turn out nearly as smooth as I would like so I went ahead and applied poly/talc with a brush. I will post some pics later.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, I don't think I've ever did a throttle range set on an esc, unless I'm programming the other functions, which most of the time I do. Spray poly is not all that smooth, I use it sometimes for a final protective coat.. Applying with a brush comes out much smoother. Good luck! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
571 Posts
Thanks Walt, I tried what sloperjoe and some others have done by sanding my foam smooth, up to 400 grit, then using the spray to seal it. I think the only way it works is if you spackle the entire airframe first as a fill. Anyway I just applied the poly/talc with brush and sanded. It turned out fine. It was a bugger sanding with the plane assembled. Im in the process of painting the main color now (grey) then I will install edfs and electrics before any detailing.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
WOW! that is lookin very nice, the weight looks really good too!

Joe
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Great looking Greg!!! Are you going to maiden before paint and finish? W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
571 Posts
Walt and Joe, thanks guys, no maiden with the weather we are having so I will keep painting and detailing (I know I said that would maiden first) I will however maiden the first decent break in the weather of course around here I might have 3 more planes built by that time Hows the weather down south Joe?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
today was dry early in the day but nasty windy big time, must've been 35mph gusts with a steady 20-25mph wind, trees were really swirling, there wasnt a snowballs chance to fly today, supposed to be a bit better tomorrow....the weather forcasts around here have about a ten minute lifespan though

Joe
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
Walt and Joe, thanks guys, no maiden with the weather we are having so I will keep painting and detailing (I know I said that would maiden first) I will however maiden the first decent break in the weather of course around here I might have 3 more planes built by that time Hows the weather down south Joe?
It might be just me,i might just be jinx'd.
When i finish a model in its entirety, then attempt a maiden, they always hit terraferma.
Now when i throw the ugly monstrosities naked they all come home fine.
So ive learnt my lesson, they all get maiden before any detail work is done.
I wont even sand the last coat of resin/microballoons untill its proven itself flight worthy.
Then again i know what its like, just having the bird sitting on the bench all naked while i wait for better weather.

Best of luck with the maiden.

PS. Do you use both magnets? i normally will use one in the fus, then a piece of light metal in the hatches. saves a few grams in weight anyways. For my metal i use a piece of the break away razors very light.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Trowbridge
Joined Sep 2012
19 Posts
After the maiden when it is debugged, will you be posting a pdf ?
Stevercflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stevercflyer