HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Discussion
Enhancing transferable skills

No background as an RC pilot (just real piloting skills).

I have been investing time on RealFlight6 with the main purpose of becoming a better rc pilot in real life. I can take off and land now, and go left and right as I wish (seriously, for the first 40 minutes, this was hard for me if the plane was coming my way!)

Beside playing with different planes, taking off and landing, doing some figure 8 and the guidelines for aerobatics, what else can one do to learn good piloting habits, increase real life skills and, after all, transfer simulator time into real life skills.

I was looking for some academic modules, maybe exercises that one good follow and increase difficulty as you become more skilled.

Thank you,
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post

I have been investing time on RealFlight6 with the main purpose of becoming a better rc pilot in real life. I can take off and land now, and go left and right as I wish (seriously, for the first 40 minutes, this was hard for me if the plane was coming my way!)

Beside playing with different planes, taking off and landing, doing some figure 8 and the guidelines for aerobatics, what else can one do to learn good piloting habits, increase real life skills and, after all, transfer simulator time into real life skills.

I was looking for some academic modules, maybe exercises that one good follow and increase difficulty as you become more skilled.

Thank you,
You could try some IMAC patterns...they offer more difficulty and will keep you interested in perfecting the skills required to accomplish them in a repeatable fashion...you can do these on the sim and obviously can be transferred to real rc flying....

They start of pretty basic and then progressively get harder and harder,,,,

Here is a link to IMAC with a good description and requirements to pulling off the moves they are looking to score in a competition...working your way through these will massively increase your flying skills as well as improve your enjoyment level rather than flying aimlessly across a sim sky

http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Do...les/SA2011.pdf

Also take a look at some of the competitions and the patterns to fly here (in the quick link sections on the left of page)- check the classes and see what's required...and try some

http://www.mini-iac.com/

OK the symbols in these documents above maybe a little boggling but follow whats called the Aresti system which is a universal system for drawing up competition flight patterns...they should be easier to understand being a pilot...but here is a quick link to what all the symbols mean...

http://www.samaa.org.za/maasa/schedu...%20Symbols.pdf

Have fun - as am sure when you can nail some of these in the sim your confidence level when flying will be higher and you should improve your coordination tenfold...and when flying real rc - will be second nature...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post

Thank you,
Landing,landing,landing....most new rc pilots can get the taking off and flying part quickly, its the landing that most fail. Try some higher wind conditions and cross wind conditions and try some planes that are above your skill level and then back to the ones you have already mastered and they will seem easier etc...

Welcome and good luck with your RC flying

Brentg
brentg is offline Find More Posts by brentg
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you! Great contributions. I will work on cross wind conditions and some of the IMAC patterns.
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist