HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Yes, still 2s cells, for me it's enough power and RPM's !I fly with Turnigy 2200 mAh batteries where the voltage remains over 3,6 V on each cell almost to the end, and the EH200 is still reactive enough at this voltage. And I set my low voltage buzzer to this voltage, so when it begins to beep, I now I still have about 2 minutes to return on earth. I ordered Walkera #4 blades, they may have a little less pitch, so maybe the heli will fly with a little bit more RPM's and stability ? Wait and see...
I'm not sure if you read this earlier but I too tried the Walkera #4 blades. I think they are probably ok with the 2s battery. When I tried it with the 3s battery they become unstable. So for now I'll stick to stock blades for 2s and have ordered the Honey Bee blades that Brent recommends for 3s use.

Let's all just fly away now shall we!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Rexless -
Am using the HK 9t now - it's fine.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11197
Also the blade 9t I posted earlier - it works too.

The 11t HK seemed to be too much of a good thing (on my heli, anyway)

PS - Great Video! - what camera are you using?
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Has anybody considered doing a Wikipage, like we did on the Multiplex FC ?
After 250+ pages of what works and a week later, no it didnt, this thread is becoming more confusing than ever.
Lets get some systems logged in as a definite 'this works' for those not as adventurous in electronics. In other words a solid formula to be able to follow from the pioneers of all the hard work to make this an even better heli. I would love to see more people get into this F45, I know that so far I have enjoyed it more than any other and will order another one and also start doing the mods, but theres to much confusion out here right now......
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Has anybody considered doing a Wikipage, like we did on the Multiplex FC ?
After 250+ pages of what works and a week later, no it didnt, this thread is becoming more confusing than ever.
Lets get some systems logged in as a definite 'this works' for those not as adventurous in electronics. In other words a solid formula to be able to follow from the pioneers of all the hard work to make this an even better heli. I would love to see more people get into this F45, I know that so far I have enjoyed it more than any other and will order another one and also start doing the mods, but theres to much confusion out here right now......
It could be done, but most people put their mods and information in their blog area. It's convenient and easy to manage.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Rexless -
Am using the HK 9t now - it's fine.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11197
Also the blade 9t I posted earlier - it works too.
The 11t HK seemed to be too much of a good thing (on my heli, anyway)
PS - Great Video! - what camera are you using?
Thanks for the option on the pinion!
You are using the 9t with the 3s battery?
I'm shooting with this camera:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221059205423
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Rexless -
Thanks for the camera tip. Again, awesome video!
I did try a 3s setup, but (to me) it seemed a bit much of a good thing altogether. Also - and maybe it was bad programming on the ESC I was using then - the BL motor ran pretty hot.
Have to leave that particular cutting edge to you young guys with faster reflexes!

War Horse -
A pretty complete list of basic mods is listed on p. 194 (approved by Gordonzo and Markkona, no less!). I'm really not sure if the more advanced stuff - eg BL main and tail - should really be tackled by anyone without at least a basic knowledge of electronics. And there is some disagreement, again on that cutting edge, as to what actually are the best mods.
But a good idea in principle .
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
... A pretty complete list of basic mods is listed on p. 194 (approved by Gordonzo and Markkona, no less!)....
1) Install flybar bumper on main boom

The what in the what now ?
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Wendouree
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilove View Post
1) Install flybar bumper on main boom

The what in the what now ?
Just something on the tail boom to protect it from flybar strikes. Usually doesn't happen but in hard crashes it can hit and dent the tail. After a few times it would weaken and bend.

I used a foam collar from the landing gear of a larger heli, they were meant to pad the landing on hard ground. Others have used the foam rings that some TXs have on the sticks when first packaged.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
mumilove -

A pic, showing bumpers front and rear. The rear bumper is foam, wrapped in duct tape. The front bumper protects the Gyro.
Both are normally only needed under crash/extreme flight situations.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Hello everyone, I am here in china and I am thinking of picking this one up, it retails in taobao for 388yuan, +11 for domestic shipping; I was wondering if this heli size is able to carry the basic fpv setup? by that i mean the cheap hobbyking fpv kit (camera and tx + rx for ~$50)? I know the ~400-450 is the standard for beginner fpv's but its a bit big and I'm not ready to get into collective pitch yet.

I know smaller helis are capable of fpv so i was wondering if this one is too.

Btw, if anyone is interested I saw a basic indoor co-axial mini sized heli in taobao that has a built in fpv system that feeds directly to your iphone/android or the controller with a small fpv viewing lcd screen. It retails for 500yuan.

Also, by FPV i mean actual live stream piloting. Most searches with "Mjx f45 fpv" will just point to adding an onboard recording cam.
solarcow is offline Find More Posts by solarcow
Last edited by solarcow; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Clarified FPV
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:48 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Solarcow -

Seems you'll have a good deal on the F45! - if I understand correctly, that'll be around $US60.
But a quick check on the AUW of the FPV TX system(s) at Hobbyking shows a max of round 45g. If you got an F45 - and did the BL conversion - it would easily carry this, and perform well too. For example, mine has 30g of putty in the nose (for trim purposes) and has no problems at all.
I think a stock F45 would handle it OK too, but there would be a slimmer safety margin.
Good luck with this, it was going to be my next project (till I diverted to CP).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:48 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Wendouree
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarcow View Post
Hello everyone, I am here in china and I am thinking of picking this one up, it retails in taobao for 388yuan, +11 for domestic shipping; I was wondering if this heli size is able to carry the basic fpv setup? by that i mean the cheap hobbyking fpv kit (camera and tx + rx for ~$50)? I know the ~400-450 is the standard for beginner fpv's but its a bit big and I'm not ready to get into collective pitch yet.

I know smaller helis are capable of fpv so i was wondering if this one is too.

Btw, if anyone is interested I saw a basic indoor co-axial mini sized heli in taobao that has a built in fpv system that feeds directly to your iphone/android or the controller with a small fpv viewing lcd screen. It retails for 500yuan.

Also, by FPV i mean actual live stream piloting. Most searches with "Mjx f45 fpv" will just point to adding an onboard recording cam.
On stock setup, the heli should comfortable lift around 50g of weight. If your FPV gear is heavier than that, I suggest looking at the Brushless conversion.

But since you can get complete FPV setups that weigh less than 10g I think you can sort something out
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
On stock setup, the heli should comfortable lift around 50g of weight. If your FPV gear is heavier than that, I suggest looking at the Brushless conversion.

But since you can get complete FPV setups that weigh less than 10g I think you can sort something out
Thank you for the quick reply. It's a shame hobbyking wont ship to china, its pretty hard to google very specific stuff in chinese such as tx/rx systems. I mainly get results for the large ones used in home security lol. Also, getting stuff in china isn't much cheaper than stock hobbyking prices, unless you know alot about the local scene.

Looks like this is the Heli for me. I'll start measuring tx and cam weights. Also, does the heli fly well without the faceplate? Could save a bit of weight removing that.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:06 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Solarcow -
You know, in 4 months of flying F45s, I've never tried (without canopy) except in the backyard. And it made no difference there.
But I'm sure someone here tried in the field, and will advise you: but as Slothy says, you should be OK in any event. However, for your calculations, the stock canopy weighs 32g.
Let us know how you go with this one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Solarcow -
You know, in 4 months of flying F45s, I've never tried (without canopy) except in the backyard. And it made no difference there.
But I'm sure someone here tried in the field, and will advise you: but as Slothy says, you should be OK in any event. However, for your calculations, the stock canopy weighs 32g.
Let us know how you go with this one!
Will do! The tx/rx camera set is going to end up more expensive than the whole heli kit. Ill find a way to rip the electronics of the tx out of it's metal cage to save some weight. If this doesnt work out, the fpv system is going directly to an RC car, less weight problems to worry about.