HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:50 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bob,

AS3X was invented & patented by Horizon, so it is exclusively theirs. As Bhodi noted - HH products can be purchased from many vendors, but the HH the website has an entire section that's dedicated to all of their current AS3X aircraft offerings.

You can also buy AS3X-equipped 1s brushed UM & 2s bl UMX bricks to use in your own designs. Spektrum also has the AR635 - a 6-channel, full-range sport rx with AS3X that is only to be used in electrics from 90-size & down. However, that rx is now obsolete, as Spektrum is replacing it with a new version that supports dual-channel ailerons, ICE-powered planes all the way up to giant-scale, and PC-based programming. They're also releasing a park-sized 6-chan Nanolite rx with AS3X (same size rx as they use in their 280-size planes), plus 7 & 9-chan high-speed full-range receivers with AS3X & telemetry support, including GPS.

Joel

Thanks, Guys

I'm trying to get up to speed after a 5 year layoff. Lots has changed and I'm excited about gyro technology working it's way into the FW world. Especially for an old guy like me that never was all the good of a pilot I bought a UMX AS3XtrA and and a DX6i TX and probably will eventually want something bigger with the same tech.

bob
steelgtr is online now Find More Posts by steelgtr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:03 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
Thanks, Guys

I'm trying to get up to speed after a 5 year layoff. Lots has changed and I'm excited about gyro technology working it's way into the FW world. Especially for an old guy like me that never was all the good of a pilot I bought a UMX AS3XtrA and and a DX6i TX and probably will eventually want something bigger with the same tech.

bob
There are some nice gyro receivers for cheap from Orange and Lemon. I prefer the Lemons. And I'm not kidding.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:07 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bob,

AS3X was invented & patented by Horizon, so it is exclusively theirs. As Bhodi noted - HH products can be purchased from many vendors, but the HH the website has an entire section that's dedicated to all of their current AS3X aircraft offerings.

You can also buy AS3X-equipped 1s brushed UM & 2s bl UMX bricks to use in your own designs. Spektrum also has the AR635 - a 6-channel, full-range sport rx with AS3X that is only to be used in electrics from 90-size & down. However, that rx is now obsolete, as Spektrum is replacing it with a new version that supports dual-channel ailerons, ICE-powered planes all the way up to giant-scale, and PC-based programming. They're also releasing a park-sized 6-chan Nanolite rx with AS3X (same size rx as they use in their 280-size planes), plus 7 & 9-chan high-speed full-range receivers with AS3X & telemetry support, including GPS.

Joel
Damn, should have waited on my AR635, PC programming would be solo much better.
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
And then there's Eagle Tree's excellent $75 Guardian 2D/3D stand-alone stab/aug system that plugs into your existing receiver. It has extensive PC-based programming, and supports a wide range of airframe configurations - including deltas, flying wings, and canards. Unlike AS3X, the Guardian also uses a 3-axis accelerometer. It can be programmed for rate-gyro response like AS3X, heading-hold like a heli's tail-gyro, or full autolevel with adjustable attitude limit. It can be easily turned on & off in flight. It can also be set up with a 'panic button' that will autolevel the aircraft as long as there's enough control authority to do so. It also supports infinitely-adjustable gains from the tx, which means that it can be used in planes with wide speed envelopes - unlike the current AS3X receivers. In fact, you'll find the Guardian 2D/3D in many 200+ MPH turbines. It even saved a guy's giant-scale delta-wing when the plane suffered a catastrophic in-flight failure, which caused the plane to become so unstable that it was unflyable by hand. That would have normally resulted in the airframe coming apart at high speed as it diverted from controlled flight. Thanks to the Guardian, he was able to land the plane safely - on the runway.

And now there's Horizon's SAFE system - which also uses a 3-axis accelerometer along with the 3-axis gyro. Like the Guardian - it has an attitude limit mode & autolevel, as well as an AS3X mode. I don't think the current SAFE receivers support user-programming, but that may change with future versions.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 13, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:44 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
There are some nice gyro receivers for cheap from Orange and Lemon. I prefer the Lemons. And I'm not kidding.
Are those from Hobby King?

thx

bob
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:41 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,304 Posts
Quote:
Are those from Hobby King?

thx

bob
The Oranges are from HK, the Lemons are from Lemon and are cheaper. Aside from a few binding/framerate/channel assignment oddities (you should go see the thread) they seem to operate more transparently than the Oranges. Users are showing great patience with Lemon and Lemon is being very active and responsive, especially on future features and designs.

I've been wanting to try the Eagle Tree Guardian, mainly because of its oscillation detection and auto gain adjustment.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2013
249 Posts
I have several UM planes with AS3X. Carbon Cub, P-51, Beast 3D. I also have an AR635 AS3X Rx in my PZ FW-190. They all work great. I reprogrammed the lot so I can turn it on/off with the usb programmer that is available. I have been very happy with it so far. Recently after a dismal experience with the Eflite P-51 280 I decided to go the China route to see what was available. I picked up a couple of the FMS 800mm warbirds. The first one I got was the FW-190 which was handful. It would have been nice to throw a gyro in it but with a 1300mah 3S battery there was just no room. My second was a P-51 and the fuse had some extra space but not enough for a AR635 so I decided to try the new Orange micro RSX3SM. I have been very pleased, it is a nice compact all in one gyro/Rx combo and based on my personal experience works just as good as the AS3X. Had the new Nanolite AS3X Rx been available at the time I would have probably gone that route.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,709 Posts
Please. please please HH -- more UMX jets?

Please?

Pretty please?
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Dec 2013
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
please. Please please hh -- more umx jets?

Please?

Pretty please?
+100
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:23 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,101 Posts
UMX AS3X/ DX6i Help?

Guys

I just got this combo from a local forum member. He programmed in the model for me and even figured out how to get all 3 Mode settings on 2 switches. I can see the effect in monitor mode on channel 5; left, center, right on the display but I don't know which is general, standard or 3D. I was told to start out in standard, not general but don't know which is which. Appreciate some guidance before I try to fly for the first time!

thx

bob
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:45 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,091 Posts
Quote:
Guys

I just got this combo from a local forum member. He programmed in the model for me and even figured out how to get all 3 Mode settings on 2 switches. I can see the effect in monitor mode on channel 5; left, center, right on the display but I don't know which is general, standard or 3D. I was told to start out in standard, not general but don't know which is which. Appreciate some guidance before I try to fly for the first time!

thx

bob
I answered this as far as general/standard is concerned in the as3xtra thread. General is a weird mode, I don't know why anyone would want it, but it uses as3x on rud & ele but heading hold on ail. So to tell the diff between gen / standard you power on, let as3x initialize, activate as3x (blip the throttle) and then hold the plane and bank it side to side. If you roll it 45 and the ails deflect and STAY deflected, it's in general mode. If they deflect and return to center, you're in standard mode.

Almost every report I've heard says standard mode is what you want.

Ben
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bhoov128; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:43 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I answered this as far as general/standard is concerned in the as3xtra thread. General is a weird mode, I don't know why anyone would want it, but it uses as3x on rud & ele but heading hold on ail. So to tell the diff between gen / standard you power on, let as3x initialize, activate as3x (blip the throttle) and then hold the plane and bank it side to side. If you roll it 45 and the ails deflect and STAY deflected, it's in general mode. If they deflect and return to center, you're in standard mode.

Almost every report I've heard says standard mode is what you want.

Ben
Thanks, Ben

All 3 switch positions seem to be the same; ails return. So, I still don't know which mode I am in between the other 2 choices and read not to fly normally in 3D. Again, I see Ch 5 change in the Monitor screen but don't think the plane is responding to the changes.

bob