I wanted one of these until I saw the video
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:29 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Lol guys it's not that bad... We were just poking fun a bit.. sure it doesn't market well to their core market, 30+.. but it's not the end of the world
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:10 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
I'd much rather read/watch reviews that present both objective and subjective viewpoints. The subjective part needs to be done by someone with an appropriate level of experience. A bit of levity is fine. However, like most things, execution is key.

Remember - this is a technical hobby, and understanding why things are the way they are is part of the learning experience. To those who choose not to learn, everything their plane does remains a mystery. They don't understand the reasons for things, so they are unable to use logical deduction to solve problems. As a result, they are unable to troubleshoot handling problems, and they usually have to rely on others to properly flight-trim their aircraft. Many are unable to even choose their next aircraft without help, because they don't understand how the "boring specifications" apply to an aircraft's real-world handling.

There is no free lunch. Developing a skill requires time & effort.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
I don't think this has anything to do with generations. I'm fairly young and still thought it was a stupid video. I'm not saying that it doesn't have it's place. I'm sure many people enjoyed it and that's great... It's just not my style that's all.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Doesn't it kinda remind you of a Hobbyking "flitetest" viddy?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The subjective part needs to be done by someone with an appropriate level of experience, however.

Joel
Hehe... ever the diplomat, TP... you will never get involved in a flame war or anything close to that. Every thread needs someone like you or RG or RCBABBEL. Nice guys, all... And, of course, I left a lot out, so don't get your feathers in a ruffle, you other good guys... like turnerm!

I, on the other had, am always up for a challenge!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Nov 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
5,991 Posts
There are ads - tech reviews and -infomercials .

The current trend is to create product interest -and go EZ on anything that has a technical flavor.
The video did that - but it was total flop on providing insight about the new 3 axis system
I think HH has decided the dumb it down approach IS the best .

Current TV ads are what the "std" is for mass merchandising.
Too Fu-in g bad -
Sugar coating should be done with taste - not poured on.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:29 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW, Culburra Beach
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
People here take life far to seriously....it's a video which is optional to watch.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
simo71, I think this is more of a rant on the current state of society rather than the video itself :P

People see garbage on TV/movies all the time now. This video with the hipster and their banter just highlights it so it hits a nerve

If they wanted comedy they should of put Bill Murray in there or Russel Peters :P
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:09 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW, Culburra Beach
Joined Jul 2010
551 Posts
It's just a bit of light hearted viewing, I personally think that these guys must be doing something right as the likes of Horizon Hobby & Hobbyking would not be supporting them. Sure it's not for everyone, but's it's just something a little different within the hobby.

I do watch their stuff at times, & do find it quite funny...maybe it's because of my 40+ sense of humour or I can relate to teaching my now 11 year old son to fly.

Enjoy life people.

Getting back to this little beast, what are people thoughts of it now that it looks to be capable of 3d?
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
Enjoy life people.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
....Getting back to this little beast, what are people thoughts of it now that it looks to be capable of 3d?
I never doubted that the Beast 3D would be capable of 3D. The Horizon guys said that it would be 3D-capable. They wouldn't make such a bold claim if there was no truth to it. Plus, the first Horizon video clearly showed that it can do 3D in the hands of a skilled pilot. I pre-ordered mine right when it was announced. My primary interests in AS3X-equipped planes are that they fly big, that they fly more precisely, and that they handle lots of wind. I regard the 3D capability as a nice perk.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I do.
LOL! Trouble maker!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,204 Posts
Why would Horizon be helping these 2 yo yo's market their product???
Not only was it not serious (at least the yo yo pilot) but the video didnt portrait the new model in a favorable light. Bad pilot skills, joking around etc......

Imaging the next Toyota or BMW commercial with a guy that backs up, hits a fire hydrant then slides on water and hits a curb.

Then again with EVERYONE thinking they should be on TV this is just par for the reality course. I hope they send themselves to their rooms.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
188 Posts
First, since we're all sharing unsolicited flitetest opinions, I love the show and to each his own (as long as I get mine). I want to be entertained, I can read the product specs myself and don't need to watch a video for that. I find their mediocre rc skills (especially josh...little joke there) refreshingly close to home and much more reflective of how I will probably fly, not some guy with 10,000 stick-hours. I think they have strong appeal to the 41-42 year old demographic. But I digress...

Back onto topic...
When in the world is my preorder going to ship!!?!! Any release dates out there? How about we start some side bets with a dec 9th over/under?
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley