HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2003, 06:23 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Jazz Extreme vs Ridge Runner vs Raider.which one to get?

hi all,
i am still trying to make my mind up for a flying wing.
i wanted to get a Jazz Extreme but the problme i had was its spar configuration.
on the one i used to have,i broke the spar at its root due to a bad crash on a sharp rock and after that i was never able to have to rigidity it had when new.that's why i ended up binning it.
the problem is that the spars are on the outside of the EPP and it makes them vulnerable.
rocks are not a problem in Wales i think but when i go back to France, they are and the place i fly on is full of them.
so i am looking at other flying wings which i could take to france without having to worry.
i can see many people go for the Wing Warrior Raider, but the Ridge Runner is more tempting for me.it seems faster.
why a Raider rather than a Ridge Runner?
thank you for any opinion.
guillaume
guillaume83 is offline Find More Posts by guillaume83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:52 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
The dual fiberglass spar system in the Jazz will take a lot of abuse. The good thing about it (compared to Carbon fiber) is that it will allow a slight amount of flex on landing. Carbon fiber can just snap quite handily.

I fly all my Canterbury planes very aggressively and have not broken a spar.

However, if you are truly worried about the spars, and you want the great high speed performance of the Jazz, simply cut your spar slots a little deeper and add a balsa cap strip on top of each spar, each side. That will prevent any direct contact.

Steve
californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:11 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
806 Posts
Well if you went with the wing warrior you would be very happy with the Ridgerunner or the Raider. I like the Raider for just full on combat and for playing arond. I was flying the Raider in a contest in the Tri citys in WA, my 2 time sloping and it was howling up to 70 mph, i thought this was nutzz but after every one told me to put clay on for waight ( they were flying other wings) i told my self y not try with out first. So i did and this thing rocked, every one gave me complements on how this thing flew. I flew it in lite winds to and it worked awsome to.
kody'd'punk is offline Find More Posts by kody'd'punk
Old Aug 21, 2003, 01:26 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
If you do a search for "Raider vs.", you will find out everything you want to know, and then some. This question has been asked probably 10 times in the last month.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
47 Posts
I've had a Jazz Extreme for the past year and I can tell you - it's fast. Faster than many of the EPP wings out there. BUT, that's if the wind is high enough. It has a tendency to tip stall much easier than other wings in lighter air. So, it's a bit of a trade... I did recover it with oracover recently (as opposed to the colored tape spec'd in the instructions) and it flies much better that it first did, but it still doesn't have the light air ability I'd like. Oh, well - that's why you get more than one!

-Mark
mjohnsonCO is offline Find More Posts by mjohnsonCO
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
Raider
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny