New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
OhItsTarik
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Help!
Hey guys! Pretty soon I will start an mUAV flying wing build thread. Before I start I

First off, by mUAV I mean micro uav.

Secondly, I have a couple questions about parts.

So what is the cheapest flight controller that has gps integration? This will be a small flying wing, and the aim is for decent flight time. I want to start with an airframe of 500-800 mm, and bump one up to 1500 mm so I can put an fc on it. The really small one (500-800 mm) will be without an fc.

So for the larger one, what is a good flight controller with gps capabilities?

The base station will use mission planner (doesn't have to); is that only compatible with APM and Pixhawk (and maybe hk mega).

I saw an APM barebone on eBay (no modules, just APM and a couple wires) for $37. Could that be a clone?

Are clones bad? Is the difference in quality significant?

Thank you all.
TarikAgcayazi is offline Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by zlite
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
944 Posts
APM clones are typically quite good, but I'd go with the HK ones rather than random ones on ebay.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old May 06, 2015, 10:29 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Sounds good. Are there any multiwii, or a naze32 lite sized FC's that have GPS integration that can ALSO be used for fixed wings, or can be flashed with a software to support fixed wings?
Old May 07, 2015, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by custards1
Australia
Joined Nov 2009
261 Posts
yes. i used to have a naze32 setup in a 800mm wing wing. gps rth worked great till it flew me into a barn lol. took a bit to get right but worked really good. i used stability heaps and circle mode was good for a rest. on a 2150 3s pack i could get 20 mins of crusing although most of the time iwas fast and low. had full fpv on bard aswell flew great

wing (5 min 59 sec)

fly it like you stole it lol
when i rebuild was thinking for trying apm mini and gps same size as naze32 but pick the functions of amp
custards1 is offline Find More Posts by custards1
Old May 07, 2015, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
Joined Mar 2015
47 Posts
I'm using HKpilot32 with APM3.1 and Mission Planner on a Finwing Penguin.

I'm only of those people that spends hours/days/weeks reading documentation before I put it in the air, though.

I took 3 days to set up my flight controller and thoroughly test it on the ground before I flew with it. Flies like a champ.
MarioSpeedwagon is online now Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
Old May 09, 2015, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2009
877 Posts
HK Phantom F61
APM 2.7 with full auto pilot and gps ..mission/loiter/rth/manual controls etc etc.
JR 2.4 t/x and AR7000 r/x
Mobius fpv camera and flight recorder with fpv video tx.
So far..over 50 flights without a hitch.
Easy to launch aircraft...very stable...can be very adgile.
Usually 30 to 40 minute flight times on a 3S 4000 mAh lipo.
I also run a 433ghz 3DR radio link for uploading missions...changing flight parameters while airborn and flying from either the laptop ( mission Planner ) as well as the r/c system.
A good all round performer for beginner to intermediate auto piloted UAV's
...Pete
check out the Phantom F61 thread in RCG's.
changed r/c rx from 36mhz to 2.4ghz.
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Old May 11, 2015, 07:26 AM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Thanks pete. Awesome information for my larger wing.

I'm especially curious about the mission link from 3dr. I know about mission planner on the desktop/laptop, but i realize that it's also possible to use it on some android devices. I'll look more into it. I don't know how i was expecting to connect with the APM while it was in the air without it.

Thanks
- Tarik

Also: Mario, i'd really like to be like you. I don't know if it's excitement, or laziness, but i can't wait to get builds in the air. Like i said, it could either be excitement, or i could just be too lazy to properly set it up.

Either way, the HK/APM seem to be the option for the larger wing.

I have made the smaller wing. 690mm, flies very true ONLY with a stabilizer on board. I'm using the OrangeRX receiver built in with a stabilizer atm. Custards, i believe the Naze can also stabilize wings, right?

Custards, i havent done a lot of research on this, but do you have a link for me to see how i can configure the Naze32 on a flying wing? I'll look more into Naze32 at home.

Can you use mission planner with Naze32?
Last edited by TarikAgcayazi; May 11, 2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 12, 2015, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
Joined Mar 2015
47 Posts
Tarik, I just replied to your other thread. I forgot about this one.

The 3DR radio could honestly not be easier to set up. It required absolutely zero setup in mission planner, just plug and play. One radio is plugged into the TELEM1 port on the HKpilot32 module and the other is connected to my computer via usb. once the aircraft is powered on, select the appropriate comm port in mission planner and click connect.

If using your phone or a tablet, you need to have 3DR services running in the background, then open "Tower" and click connect.

I've been very happy with all of the hardware I bought and put together. The penguin has withstood most of the abuse I've put it through, but has gotten quite a few repairs. Delta wings are still appealing to me due to the lack of a fragile tail boom, but I'm told that they are much, much less forgiving to center of gravity issues.

If you're looking for something cheap and easy to get long endurance flights to start out with, I'd go with a sky surfer or bixler.

edit: now that I think about it, I did have issues with initial setup on the computer. The problem ended up being incompatible USB drivers. Probably not a common issue, but it took me awhile to sort out.

Good job on the custom build, by the way. Plenty of room for improvement on flight time, but that was a fantastic starting point.
MarioSpeedwagon is online now Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon