Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by crash74
Addicted to Twins
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
Discussion
build table ideas

I want to get into building and don't know if I go with a hollow core door with 16 gage metal sheet for magnets or use glass? What do you use and reccommend? Thx for your help guys
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Young
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,974 Posts
I would look into the door/magnetic board. I haven't tried this yet (I have a decent workbench and balsa board), but lots of guys love this setup. Also, Ikea carries (at least they used to) a small magnetic bulletin board that is nice for small shops.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:28 AM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
Thank you for your input. I'm leaning toward that set-up. I'm just curious how you hold down the wood. I see the magnets keeping the wood from moving side to side. But what about down flat??
Old Mar 09, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,955 Posts
Magnetic attraction will hold it down through most reasonable balsa thicknesses.

If you need a hold-down that is adjustable, use these.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Mar 09, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Young
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,974 Posts
Retro R/C has a bunch of magnetic building jigs, including some hold down jigs.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:19 PM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
Thx again. After work I'll take a closer look. This is gonna be costly so I want to get it right. I'm not one to buy the cheaper stuff just to buy something else later. Do it right the first time.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
Tom I believe you are the one who recommended using cabnit magnets. Other magnet places say 15 lb holding. What are the cabnit ones rated at. Are they to weak? 15lbs sounds like a pain to pull off.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by desmo
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
383 Posts
Yes magnets are the way to go... my 2 cents are

1. Just use sheet steel rather than building into the work bench as steel does attract moisture ,condensation etc. so being able to remove it is a useful idea
2. A variety of magnets is a great idea, but don't forget wax paper. Cyano will glue magnets to steel, not permanently but enough to be a major PITA
3. If you use 2.4ghz - your gear will not ..... i repeat... will not bind if it is on the steel surface.... my forehead still has the bumps from banging my head against the work surface to try and figure our what was going on.
4. If you spill anything it just comes off with a scraper or heat torch......

I buy all my magnets on line in the UK, (www.first4magnets.com )I am sure there are guys in the us who do similar - big magnets are cheap and work really well both on the bench to hold stuff down or together or on the airframe to hold sheeting to formers.

Still use pins occasionally but magnets are really versatile
desmo is offline Find More Posts by desmo
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
Tom I believe you are the one who recommended using cabnit magnets. Other magnet places say 15 lb holding. What are the cabnit ones rated at. Are they to weak? 15lbs sounds like a pain to pull off.
I really don't know as cabinet magnets come in different sizes and I have a motley assortment.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
This is gonna be costly so I want to get it right. I'm not one to buy the cheaper stuff just to buy something else later. Do it right the first time.
Well, I've been using an old military surplus desk with a 2ftX4ft ceiling tile for about 35 years now. I get a new tile every few years. Usually I go the the building supply store and ask if they have any with the corner broken off, because they are generally free. Pins hold the wood to the board. I know there are a lot of fancy ways like steel sheets and magnets, but personally for me, I have never felt the need. It doesn't have to be costly.
Wolpertinger is online now Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:15 PM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
I tried the cealing tile thing and wasn't happy with the feel. I could feel the pin moving slightly to go into one of the small pores in the til . I do hear of guys using foam board. Don't get me wrong the cost isn't going to sway me one way or the other. I just want quality working stuff. So when I build something screwed up. I know it's me not my shabby set-up. Lol
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,687 Posts
To each his own! As far as the pores in the ceiling tile, I've never had that problem. You do build on the reverse, non textured side, right?
Wolpertinger is online now Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Old Mar 09, 2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
At first no. Lol. Then I did. It could of been the type of tile. The one I used had a brown paper/cardboard back wich was not flat it had a billion small indentions. It was my first build and could of been lots of other factors.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by CF105
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
Retro R/C has a bunch of magnetic building jigs, including some hold down jigs.

-Jim
These things are great! I recently purchased a bunch of their jig bits, and am using them on my current project. My one regret was not ordering more! And I shorted myself on magnets, but I can probably source them locally.

My bench is not perfectly flat, so I've gone with a "composite" arrangement: a sheet of styrofoam insulation covered with a sheet of steel. Things are elevated more than I would like, but it does work.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Mar 09, 2015, 07:16 PM
Addicted to Twins
Joined Jul 2011
1,375 Posts
Retro stuff does look nice. I don't see any kits. Each piece is sold seperate. How many of each do I need?? I'll shoot them an email see if they can do a package deal.