New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by mikeyjwalking
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
Question
integy shock mods for TT motorcycle

I am new to this forum, I hope I even get a reply. It seems like a long time since the last post. Anyway I bought the Integy piggyback shock for my Thunder Tiger FM1E. I know it does need to be modified, but have no idea what they are. The shock seems a little long for this bike. But everybody has one, so I know it can be done. Thanks, Mike
mikeyjwalking is offline Find More Posts by mikeyjwalking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Guidoracer
United States, CA, LA
Joined Nov 2004
3,306 Posts
I never really cared for the the Integy piggyback shock on any of my road bikes. The stock FM-1e shock is actually better -- just replace the plastic shock end with an aluminum one, replace the bladder with one that is softer (I used ones from XTM monster truck shocks), and fill with 1000 CST oil.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:32 AM
United States, CA, LA
Joined Nov 2004
3,306 Posts
I just realized that I never addressed your actual question -- how rude of me. If you do want to use the Integy shock, limit the travel internally using plastic spacers. You can try using the jack spring from your stock FM-1e shock, but that might make it too short, but it is worth a shot. Also, I would still use an aluminum shock bottom. You can take a Thunder Tiger one and tap the bottom to fit the threads of the Integy shaft (IIRC, it is 4mm thread, but don't hold me to that). And finally, do use 1000 CST oil. If you can't find oil rated in CST easily, Associated 80 wt. is about the same.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by paulkltam
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
I bought this bike as well. Can anyone share with me how to set up the steering? if possible., please share with photos to explain. Many thanks.
paulkltam is offline Find More Posts by paulkltam
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:46 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
I just realized that I never addressed your actual question -- how rude of me. If you do want to use the Integy shock, limit the travel internally using plastic spacers. You can try using the jack spring from your stock FM-1e shock, but that might make it too short, but it is worth a shot. Also, I would still use an aluminum shock bottom. You can take a Thunder Tiger one and tap the bottom to fit the threads of the Integy shaft (IIRC, it is 4mm thread, but don't hold me to that). And finally, do use 1000 CST oil. If you can't find oil rated in CST easily, Associated 80 wt. is about the same.
Do you mind to share with photos? It's hard to understand. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, LA
Joined Nov 2004
3,306 Posts
For the rear shock, leave it alone to start. If you ever do want to play with it, like I said above, 1000 CST oil, an aluminum shock bottom, and maybe a better shock bladder are all you need.

For steering, I stole a pic from the web and added some annotations. That should get you started. If you do adjust the tension on the steering damper spring, you will have to adjust the length of the rod. Do this by loosening the set screw on the aluminum ball link extension, and sliding the rod in or out.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Very helpful info.

Is the damper similar to nitro bikes? where can I buy it? do you mind to show me a link.

Many thanks. Actually, I owned this bike 10 years, but I failed to control due to the steering problem. You info is very useful !
Old Apr 21, 2015, 02:16 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
another question is about the battery. What kind of battery you are using?? To charge the battery, how many minutes? assume fully charged, how many minutes can the bike run?
Old May 06, 2015, 12:19 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
For the rear shock, leave it alone to start. If you ever do want to play with it, like I said above, 1000 CST oil, an aluminum shock bottom, and maybe a better shock bladder are all you need.

For steering, I stole a pic from the web and added some annotations. That should get you started. If you do adjust the tension on the steering damper spring, you will have to adjust the length of the rod. Do this by loosening the set screw on the aluminum ball link extension, and sliding the rod in or out.
I bought the steering damper, but have set up questions.

Should I fully extend the damper when I set up the bike for running straight? The question is that the steering cannot swing freely to left and right? The steering can only swing to one side by compressing the damper, but limit to another side as the damper has extended to the limit. Please kindly advise.
Old May 06, 2015, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by mario24
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
When setting the steering damper you need to ascertain the total travel of the damper and then set it so it is only half way out, now set the steering to straight ahead by adjusting the springs, this will give you the same travel both ways as the damper is pushed right in one way and pulled right out the other.
mario24 is offline Find More Posts by mario24
Old May 06, 2015, 01:05 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
go straight with mid length of the damper. but oil leak when the damper extended as no pressure from the coil spring to the o-ring? and what is the function of coil spring?
Old May 06, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by dmincin
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,430 Posts
The steering damper should have 2 springs. One on the inside of the damper body (so you won't be able to see unless you take it apart), and one on the outside.

So one spring compresses when you pull the shaft out of the damper, and the other (on the outside) compresses when you push it in.

With the forks straight and the servo centered, the damper should be halfway extended, with neither spring compressed at all. The springs should also be loose enough that you can turn the front wheel left to right easily - without too much back pressure from the springs. (Later you can tighten up the springs when your skill improves - if you desire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkltam View Post
I bought the steering damper, but have set up questions.

Should I fully extend the damper when I set up the bike for running straight? The question is that the steering cannot swing freely to left and right? The steering can only swing to one side by compressing the damper, but limit to another side as the damper has extended to the limit. Please kindly advise.
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Old May 06, 2015, 09:30 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
43 Posts
thanks Dmincin !

Should I still need to add the silicon oil inside the damper? Thanks.
Old May 07, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by dmincin
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,430 Posts
Here's an old thread with some additional useful info from Lito:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=935561
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Old May 08, 2015, 04:57 AM
Find More Posts by test driver
newcastle Australia
Joined May 2004
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkltam View Post
thanks Dmincin !

Should I still need to add the silicon oil inside the damper? Thanks.
I generally use a little very thin oil. You don't need too much resistance to stop head shakes. Too much resistance and it plays havoc with the steering (makes is act really slow)
test driver is offline Find More Posts by test driver