Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by The_Builder
God Created me to Create
Joined Nov 2009
3,398 Posts
Discussion
Mosquito Class ??

I have been told that 1M is not Mosquito class as they are too big. I guess Mosquito class is reserved for planes smaller than 1M.

Does this mean we need a class just for 1M's. If this is the case maybe we can call the class, DragonFly or Sparrow.

These are the things that keep me up at night....LOL, LOL
The_Builder is online now Find More Posts by The_Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by jsmillett
Cerritos, CA
Joined Nov 2004
202 Posts
Here is an old article that describes mosquito class as 0.75 meter. That's how I remember it.

http://msinow.com/rc/choosing_your_first_glider.htm

Jerry
jsmillett is offline Find More Posts by jsmillett
Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by Cfiimei
New at this whole life thing
United States, IL, Sherrard
Joined Nov 2015
515 Posts
Dagnabbit I wanted a mosquito class DLG Paul! Now I have to go out to the bandsaw and saw the wingtips off! As far as I know (and I may be wrong) there isn't an official party that defined maximum wingspan for mosquito class gliders. Google the term and lots of 1M birds come up, dating back to the javelin days. I've also seen several smaller than 1M birds dubbed "Micro," so I think you are safe.
Cfiimei is offline Find More Posts by Cfiimei
Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfiimei View Post
Dagnabbit I wanted a mosquito class DLG Paul! Now I have to go out to the bandsaw and saw the wingtips off! As far as I know (and I may be wrong) there isn't an official party that defined maximum wingspan for mosquito class gliders. Google the term and lots of 1M birds come up, dating back to the javelin days. I've also seen several smaller than 1M birds dubbed "Micro," so I think you are safe.
The definition of Mosquito class first started before 1998 and it was set at 0.75M. This class was flown mainly in Japan and there were articles in several magazines and on the early RC HLG blogs. I think there was a article in RC Soaring Digest by Paul Clarke. I put together a collection of those gliders (the early days) and you can find pictures and links here:http://spieltek.com/SunbirdSoaring/M...aring-MHLG.htm. Several of the pages have links to PDF plans if anyone is interested in simple balsa birds. You have to consider that the radios of that time were a lot bigger, in general, than the 2.4 rx and servos we use today, so these planes can be flown a lot lighter. Also, they were thrown overhand, the old HLG way, and may or may not stand up to a general DLG style launch of today.

As for the question I was going to ask Paul (the_Builder) , for any of the small plane contests, what general restrictions are there? (not over 1M, but anything else goes? I hate it if there were more rules besides just a 1M span!

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Cfiimei
New at this whole life thing
United States, IL, Sherrard
Joined Nov 2015
515 Posts
Chris, I remember drooling over your site YEARS ago. How long has it been up? Just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed that!
Cfiimei is offline Find More Posts by Cfiimei
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:11 PM
God Created me to Create
Joined Nov 2009
3,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
The definition of Mosquito class first started before 1998 and it was set at 0.75M. This class was flown mainly in Japan and there were articles in several magazines and on the early RC HLG blogs. I think there was a article in RC Soaring Digest by Paul Clarke. I put together a collection of those gliders (the early days) and you can find pictures and links here:http://spieltek.com/SunbirdSoaring/M...aring-MHLG.htm. Several of the pages have links to PDF plans if anyone is interested in simple balsa birds. You have to consider that the radios of that time were a lot bigger, in general, than the 2.4 rx and servos we use today, so these planes can be flown a lot lighter. Also, they were thrown overhand, the old HLG way, and may or may not stand up to a general DLG style launch of today.

As for the question I was going to ask Paul (the_Builder) , for any of the small plane contests, what general restrictions are there? (not over 1M, but anything else goes? I hate it if there were more rules besides just a 1M span!

Chris
Thanks Chris, to me any non powered glider with a single wing of 1M or less is fair game. Am I missing something? I like things to be simple and allow for creativity.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:13 PM
God Created me to Create
Joined Nov 2009
3,398 Posts
Quote:

Don't do that I have a set of 1.5M tails you can have to build a mosquito, the horizontal should make for a nice main wing....
Old Jul 20, 2016, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,965 Posts
Quote:
Chris, I remember drooling over your site YEARS ago. How long has it been up? Just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed that!
Cfiimei,

Thanks for the compliments. The site was put up when I was doing my scrollsander products, but afterwards I wanted to keep it up. If someone can use it, great. If someone needs plans or a link is broken, let me know, I have all the files and plans archived so I could put them up in another project.

I started a new project website when I felt that knowledge of planes we have flown needed another approach. Have a look, it has the same Mosquito planes on it and I will be adding all the files I have for each of them, from my piece-meal collection of 20 years. I hope you have a chance to look at it and enjoy it. I am re-writing it again, it never ends.

http://fieldguidetomodeling.com/default.aspx
Look under "Find-A-Plane" : http://fieldguidetomodeling.com/Fiel...d-a-Plane.aspx

Thanks again,
Chirs
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2