Old Apr 03, 2016, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by aeronca52
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Build Log
Complete a project 2016 build off... 1940 Red Ripper

Hi Guys, and Girls if any of you are out there.

With several unfinished projects on the bench I felt it more sensible to enter the '2016 Complete-A-Project' instead of starting a new one in the 50+ build off. Soooo, I'm going to start with my 84" wingspan Red Ripper. If that gets finished, then I will move on to another project to complete. These build-offs do encourage one to 'move along' and progress, at least that how it works with me.

First off, here's the Red Ripper plans....http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4861 sort of a homely looking model, but beauty is in the balsa, not paper. Actually, it's close layout resemblance to a Lanzo Bomber is what caught the eye. Close enough to promise the same performance but different enough to 'be different'. The original is 73" wingspan, however this one is enlarged to 84" wingspan, simply because that's the size wanted.

You can see in the pictures how long the 56" fuselage really is. Also note the 12 inch ruler against the fuselage for size comparison. One pic also has a yard stick on the counter in front of the fuselage. Servos are already installed, as are the blue pushrod housings. The rudder was enlarged 10% from the plans, it looked just too small to be effective. Might go to 15% if the 10% one doesn't look like it will work.

The fuselage is all 1/4 square sticks, all stripped from 1/4 balsa sheet. The wing pylon is only sitting on top of the fuselage, it just gets glued on like that, there is no interlocking wood involved. Yet. Have to see. A good eye will note the very fuselage front was lengthened one 'bay' to help with the CG. With the lighter electric motors it helps a bit.

The wing is finished and covered with Value Hobby transparent red iron on covering, $13 for 5 meters, ( http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...arent-red.html ) which will be used on the rest of the model also. When the hurricane outside subsides ( 25-36 MPH steady with gusts to 55mph) I will get it down from the garage rafters and post a pic of it. A 14" chord if memory serves correctly.

Anyhow, that's how she sits now. There is a 60% finished Guillow Lancer on the building board at the moment, when that is finished the Ripper will take center stage.

Thanks for looking and following along.
Jim
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Last edited by aeronca52; Apr 03, 2016 at 05:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2016, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by pulserudder
I like thermals
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
542 Posts
Will definitely be following along with this one.
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Apr 03, 2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
1,746 Posts
Hi aeronca -

wouldn't you know I just got finished reading my issue of July 1940 Flying Aces and the Red Ripper article....

i have a 1/2A size speed 400 Ripper from the Bob Hartwig kit and it sure flies well....

best regards,

jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
Old Apr 03, 2016, 05:44 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Thanks, pluserudder, the more the merrier! Remember to chime in with words of encouragement often.

Jeff, I have that magazine also, it is what inspired to start this build. Somewhere online I remember a kit review of that 1/2A Ripper, maybe the Building Board, IDK, but it was a very positive flight review, another factor in deciding to commence the build. Thanks for watching.
Old Apr 03, 2016, 09:51 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Here's a quick shot of the Guillows Lancer, to give you an idea of how far along it is.

A little info...
Typical for a Guillows kit, but before construction starts the wood for the fuselage frame, wing ribs, LE and TE, and tail pieces were sanded to remove about 20% of it's thickness before the parts were punched out of the master sheets. Lightened things up a bit.

Tissue is Easy Built yellow and dark blue, attached with a glue stick. The wing has been water shrunk, the tail feathers and fuselage will be done tomorrow, as they were covered today and the glue is still drying. After being shrunk the tissue will be sprayed with Crystal Clear Krylon, which will seal it. Then make and install the prop assembly, install the wheels, make up the rubber motor and go fly. Maybe by the end of this week it'll be sharing bench space with the Ripper.

If you find any at a good price, the Guillow Javelin, Lancer and Arrow build into great flying rubber models. Check youtube for videos of them.
Old Apr 07, 2016, 09:39 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Four days later.....
All the Lancer needs now is sprayed with clear Krylon and the decals applied and it will be done. Trouble is I won't spray in the house since it smells the whole downstairs, so I have to do it in the garage and it is supposed to be cold for a few days, so we'll see how it turns out.

Stay tuned................
Old Apr 08, 2016, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,617 Posts
You are a regular building machine Jim......
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Apr 08, 2016, 06:58 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Well, once the production line is running it gets easier.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 02:35 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
A bit of pre-progress on the RR.
The Lancer was sprayed with clear Krylon, so it can be move off the building board and the RR moved onto it.

Gotta gather all the loose pieces which have been floating around the basement and see what was built and what needs built.

Gotta hustle, warm weather is coming.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by pulserudder
I like thermals
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
542 Posts
I've built and flown Lancer and Javelin. They both were nice schoolyard flyers. I sanded away on the hard balsa to lighten the load. Lancer wing and fuse still hanging from the garage ceiling. No earthly idea what became of the tail feathers.
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Apr 11, 2016, 07:47 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Tonight I re-acquainted myself with the Red Ripper. Looked it over and decided on a plan of action.

First mountain to conquer is the landing gear, which is made of 1/8 inch music wire. The plans show it bolted to the front of the firewall, with beam mounts extending further forward for the motor. Since the electric motor's 'X' mount will be on the front of the firewall, it leaves little space for the gear. This led to the idea of mounting it to the fuselage bottom which would also solve any structural problems in a hard landing. It would either bend or tear off, leaving little damage to the fuselage. So, there was a piece of 1/4 inch plywood simply glued to the bottom, right behind the firewall. The gear top was then bent back 90 degrees to be mounted against that plywood.

BTW, in this photo you can also see the balsa fill in on the fuselage top. It's not called for on the plans, but since the pylon is just glued to the fuselage top I figured the more gluing surface area the better.

I now have to find my hacksaw to cut off the one long side of the gear to match the other. You can see this difference in one picture. Same picture has a 3 1/2 inch Williams Brothers smooth wheel assembly, which is being used on the RR. The only reason the Cox .049 is in the picture is to give it some sort of scale, and almost everybody knows their size. Plus, in ideal workshop moments, I like to flip it over several times and hear the compression pop. If the balsa building is getting difficult, the engine flipping brings satisfaction. Welcome to my little world.

The other picture shows my grubby hands holding the fuselage front, turned so you can see that 1/4 inch plywood mounting piece.

While the gear is bent it needs tweeking to make it all straight. I have a smallish vise and it is hard to work that 1/8 inch stuff. If anybody has any ideas, please chime in, ALL thoughts are welcome.

Finally, I confess I like the cartoon movie Despicable Me. In a whimsical mood, I realized the Red Ripper profile bears a close resemblance to Gru's car, minus the flame propulsion device. What do you think?
Last edited by aeronca52; Apr 11, 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:38 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Guillow's Lancer is done, more space on the workbench!

It's harder to get a good covering job with the small models than with the big ones. Fat fingers don't help.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:06 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
late at night, double post, sorry. Time to call it quits.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by DaveB69
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dalkeith
Joined May 2015
152 Posts
Gru's car colour scheme, silver film with black 'G' logos??
DaveB69 is online now Find More Posts by DaveB69
Old Apr 12, 2016, 07:21 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
3,380 Posts
Too late for that, Dave. The wing is already transparent red iron on. But I like your train of thought!!

Had a wake up call today. Went to the music wire stash for more 1/8" diameter wire to bend a new gear. Noticed it was thinner than the bent gear, examination revealed the already bent gear is 5/16" music wire. No wonder it was so hard to work with.

If the 1/8" proves too springy it will be reinforced with a rear frame, copper wire bound and soldered to the main. After all back in 1940 many people probably designed their own gear to their own liking.
Last edited by aeronca52; Apr 12, 2016 at 07:27 PM.