Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by jabiggerstaff
Joined Jan 2013
56 Posts
Discussion
Republic Seabee

Does anyone out there have the build instructions for the Bale plans for the Seabee?

Alan
Guelph ON
Canada
jabiggerstaff is offline Find More Posts by jabiggerstaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,682 Posts
Is that the Traplet set of plans ? --- http://gb.trapletshop.com/republic-rc-3-seabee

Sometimes there would be a minor build article in the RC Model World magazine from when the plans were released, but there is no mention of which year/month it may have appeared in.

Full build instructions are rarely available for magazine plans, they usually assume the builder has enough experience to take on the build from just the plans.

I found this thread of a Seabee kit build, (not Bale) if it helps to visualize ---

New Build Of Republic Seabee

Ray.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 17, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by 2michaely
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
490 Posts
I picked up the Traplet plan for Seabee at swap meet in southwestern Ontario last year 'cause I'm a sucker for almost impossible projects (smiley).

The Traplet plan I have has a 2002 date on it and credits Jack L. Bale as the designer. 58" span, alternate power installations are .30 to .45 glo or Astro 40 (brushed) motor. Also had proposed retractable main landing gear.

The plan notes mention vacuum formed floats, wing tips which I presume were sold by someone at some point.

As Ray mentioned there are very few examples of flying Seabee models ... largely because of the rearward center of gravity problem..... the Astro 40 brushed motor on the plan also shows the NiCad motor batteries installed in the wing, rather than pushed to the furthest forward position that I believe would be absolutely necessary.

There are a few paragraphs of fairly useless construction notes on the plan.

The Traplet website description for this plan has the cautionary note: not for beginners; a basis for a larger project.
I think the later note is suggesting than a larger scale model than 58" wingspan would make it easier to deal with high wing loading.

I recently ran across this kit version of the Seabee:
http://www.rcairplane.net/index9.html
which has the intriguing suggestion that the model can either be built a wing having either a single pusher engine or with a twin tractor engines, using the same fuselage.
The twin tractor engine version would shift the center of gravity forward and might largely deal with that problem.
Perhaps sneaking up on the problem by first building and flying the twin tractor engine version and, if that turns out ok, using the same fuselage (with its all curved surfaces construction challenges) for the more challenging single pusher version.

good luck,
Michael in Newmarket, Ontario
2michaely is offline Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Oct 22, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,183 Posts
Tom Mountjoy's RCM version used a long boom with a weight on the end , marked "experimental" for flying and took it off for display. I am too lazy to build a scale single engined electric-powered Seabee but wish an ARF maker would market a largish foam based one with detailed clear windows and removable landing gear. I am aware of the German foamy. Far too few of these built and flown successfully.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged