HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Tripoli, Not Afghanistan.....

KM,
I'm a bit of a history buff - chose Syren as a prototype for my model because of her interesting history in the early days of the US Navy. She fought in Tripoli - not Afghanistan, but a bit of sand in the area....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Definetely a lot of sand, and the birthplace of Septimius Severus
(being Lepcis Magna which lays near Tripoli, which used to be called Tripolis when it was a Greek colony)

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
FYI, extracts from Wikipedia...

Netherlands: "The country capital is Amsterdam and the seat of government is The Hague. The Netherlands in its entirety is often referred to as Holland, although North and South Holland are actually only two of its twelve provinces.
"The Netherlands is a geographically low-lying country, with about 25% of its area and 21% of its population located below sea level,[8] and 50% of its land lying less than one metre above sea level.
"The Dutch Empire grew to become one of the major seafaring and economic powers of the 17th century. In the Dutch Golden Age ("Gouden Eeuw"), colonies and trading posts were established all over the world. Dutch settlement in North America began with the founding of New Amsterdam, on the southern tip of Manhattan in 1614."

A very interesting naval history. Worth reading about if naval history is your thing....
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Thanx Dan !! Always nice to see some people who like to read up on history
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:03 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Dan,
I don't disagree with you. If I was planning a brig, i'd just that... If I opted to build HMS Snake, I'd likely get the complete SC&H kit for sure. It's just not the right hull design for Rattlesnake which is why I'm looking to build my own. Heck, I thought about getting the Surprise hull as it's the proper frigate shape for Rattlesnake, but then I'd be building at more like 1/14 scale! That'd be quite awesome when you think about the cannons I could do at that size and other details, but I don't have room for a 9 foot boat!
WarpdSpazm is offline Find More Posts by WarpdSpazm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Dutch settlement in North America began with the founding of New Amsterdam, on the southern tip of Manhattan in 1614."
New Amsterdam, that's where I am right now!
WarpdSpazm is offline Find More Posts by WarpdSpazm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:22 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
COOL !!! apparently William Stuyvesant bought Manhattan from some native Americans, and the Dutch traded New York in for Surinam... how strange history can be
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:04 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Guys, nice site in France where they are reconstructing the Hermione :

http://www.hermione.com/en/
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
Another good history read is "The First Salute" by Barbara Tuchman.
In 1776, when the American brig Andrew Doria arrived in the small but prosperous Dutch East Indies port of Saint Eustatiushe, she was given the first acknowledgement of the United States as a new nation.
The book concentrates on the war at sea and events in Europe rather than on the land battles of the revolution.
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Great SC&H Build Resource

I was looking to reference this thread and was amazed it was so far down the list in the forum. Ray C. started this thread and it got me and many others started modeling SC&H and other larger scale sailing ship models.

Really thought it should be bumped as a resource and to say Thank You to Ray C. for starting it.

Happy New Year!

(LOTS of info in this thread - the search function works well...)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Thanks for bringing this back into the light. I started reading it from day one. this will take a while to finish. a large thread on this build. I looked at the first post date and find it was put up two years before I had even heard of this kit. then it took five more years for me to meet Philip and get serious about the ship. you guys are pioneers for sure and have done much to put these kits on the radar for helping promote others to get onboard. I thank you all and may the winds always to your backs.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:44 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
Forget the winds at my back--the quarter winds are much better as you will learn for sailing square riggers. SMILE
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Ah, I am not ever a "Grasshopper" yet. I will look for all the quarter winds I can find. Sailing your ship has given me a whole new shot in the arm for sailing. So many things to do just to come about. I am still searching for a real lake to sail with a chase boat around here. I'll be pond bound till that day. I really can't wait to sail free like you did and get to Feel the wind.

How did you first find the sc&h models?

G
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
I was in a motel in Mobile AL while inspecting a construction project there and I searched the Internet for square rigger model ships. SC&H was the first link to come up and I called Phillip Roberts that same evening as he was still in his shop. I told him about my experience building model railroad stuff and he said I could build one of his ships. I placed an order when I got home and then waited--in the mean time I learned about this link as well as Dan L and I started making contacts. The rest is history.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Just like that. Compared to me you ran full speed and jumped in. That's the way to do it alright. As I mentioned once to you before that is about when I first was told about these ships. I am thinking it was January or February in 2008. It was a model boat builder of sailboats that shared that this was the type of boat he would like to build. Then popped up the website for me to see. I could not get it out of my head and 5 years later I decided it was time. I called a man who had built the model I was thinking of building and asked about skill level and how did he do this and that. It was a real pleasure talking with you that day. Ill never forget it. Thanks Ray.