SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:57 PM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
My hope is to find the Mobius FPV "acceptable" also, it will definitely save weight. If 5min into the flight, I move to miss a tree... and find the video 3sec later showing my quad on the ground... I'm blaming you. just kidding. Though there is a video of the mobius latency and it was a nominal 120ms.

Otherwise I have the OneCam 5.8 RX/TX which will work just fine in good light. Waiting on HK for a Boscam 32 channel vtx for the mobius, hopefully it will make it compatible with the RCL RX for DVR. If not, the TBS 32 channel Rx is on the way... for my "future" fat sharks.
Lol! It definitely does NOT do this. I won't go so far as to say there is no lag, just that it is not noticeable to me if there is. I think this is probably similar to screen refresh rates on old CRT screens. Some people are perfectly happy with a 60 Hz screen, and wouldn't even notice the difference if you bump it up higher. I on the other hand can spot a screen running at 60 Hz the second I sit down in front of it, and if I don't bump it up it will end up giving me a headache. I think it's the same thing here. If you notice the lag, it will probably drive you nuts. If not, it will probably be perfectly fine for you. I personally don't notice it at all, and have done several control input tests where I actually watched for lag and have not been able to perceive any.

If you do notice lag and it bothers you, your only option will probably be a dedicated FPV cam. Any video camera with video out will probably be similar.
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:03 PM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
As long as you're not painting bug faces on them...
omg, don't even say that in jest! lol!
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:41 PM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Ok, I normally wouldn't post this here since this was flown with a different quad, but there seems to be a lot of concern about using the Mobius as an FPV cam for the Xtreme. This is a video of me flying FPV using the Mobius as both my FPV and Video cam. This is the exact same setup I plan to use on the Xtreme, with the exception of I'll be powering the VTX from an external battery and running the Mobius from it's internal battery (in this video I'm powering the Mobius and VTx from the main battery.

If this bothers anybody because I'm posting a video flown with a different quad in here I'll take it down. I'm not trying to promote the other quad (believe me, I'm all in on the Xtreme and can't wait for it to be released), I'm just trying to put people's mind at ease regarding the Mobius. If this bugs anybody, let me know and I'll remove it.

FPV Blade: Kickstart (5 min 15 sec)
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:14 PM
Reinventing Innovation.
MatLi's Avatar
Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2009
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post

If this bothers anybody because I'm posting a video flown with a different quad in here I'll take it down. I'm not trying to promote the other quad (believe me, I'm all in on the Xtreme and can't wait for it to be released), I'm just trying to put people's mind at ease regarding the Mobius. If this bugs anybody, let me know and I'll remove it.
No objections here for putting up the video
MatLi is offline Find More Posts by MatLi
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2013
39 Posts
To AKCobra.

That's some impressive flying

What sort of tx/rx are you using there? Also, which Mobius lens version do you have?
BHol is offline Find More Posts by BHol
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:00 PM
Registered User
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
...I'm just trying to put people's mind at ease regarding the Mobius. If this bugs anybody, let me know and I'll remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLM1ij9SaI
Nice video! Caught the leaves changing up there.

Definitely seems like the Mobius is a viable option as an AIO recorder/live feed.
KC_703 is offline Find More Posts by KC_703
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:25 AM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHol View Post
To AKCobra.

That's some impressive flying

What sort of tx/rx are you using there? Also, which Mobius lens version do you have?
Thanks. I'm using a Spektrum DX7s and the receiver is proprietary and built into the quad's FC. The VTx and VRx I'm using are a Fatshark 250mw VTx and the built in VRx on my Fatshark Attitudes. I'm using the original Mobius lens, not the newer wide angle lens. This setup is fairly decent for flying nearby proximity like this, but the video does get VERY glitchy when flying through the trees in the back due to that solid treeline of pine trees that separates the two sections of the park. My other quad with the 600mw VTx does a better job of maintaining the video over there.

Now getting back to the 1X, I'm fairly certain it will be able to handle this setup, although finding places to mount it all may be a challenge. I weighed everything out including the 2S battery and it came to about 98 grams. I could probably shed a couple of grams if I try, so while you won't be getting 10 minute flight times at that weight it should work. I'm a bit concerned whether you will lose the control link using the stock controller with this type of flying though, so you might be better off using a full range Tx/Rx for this type of thing.

I'm getting my 1X for Christmas so hopefully the weather will at least let me do some yard FPV flights I can post
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:06 AM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
LMahesa's Avatar
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Jul 2013
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
Thanks. I'm using a Spektrum DX7s
Quick offtopic Q while I'm here. You came from the Drone like me... have you considered using a 2.4Ghz booster in your Tx? I've got 2 sitting around doing nothing but tempt me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
... and the receiver is proprietary and built into the quad's FC. The VTx and VRx I'm using are a Fatshark 250mw VTx and the built in VRx on my Fatshark Attitudes. I'm using the original Mobius lens, not the newer wide angle lens. This setup is fairly decent for flying nearby proximity like this, but the video does get VERY glitchy when flying through the trees in the back due to that solid treeline of pine trees that separates the two sections of the park. My other quad with the 600mw VTx does a better job of maintaining the video over there.
You'd fare MUCH better with 1.3Ghz. 5.8 has bugger all penetration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCobra View Post
Now getting back to the 1X, I'm fairly certain it will be able to handle this setup, although finding places to mount it all may be a challenge. I weighed everything out including the 2S battery and it came to about 98 grams. I could probably shed a couple of grams if I try
1) The 808 #16 is half the weight of a Mobius. For FPV purposes, you don't need the Mobius' quality.
2) Are you using a 2S so you can step down to 5 volts? Get a Pololu 5v stepup, skip the regulator, and use a decent mAh and C-rating 1s battery.

I've just finished making the adapter you see in the pics, so I haven't actually tested it in this config - the main unit works splendidly, though.
LMahesa is offline Find More Posts by LMahesa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:31 AM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa View Post
Quick offtopic Q while I'm here. You came from the Drone like me... have you considered using a 2.4Ghz booster in your Tx? I've got 2 sitting around doing nothing but tempt me.
How much? I'd probably move to EZUHF before I'd put on a 2.4 booster, but I'm always willing to listen if the price is right PM me, way off topic for here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa View Post
You'd fare MUCH better with 1.3Ghz. 5.8 has bugger all penetration.
I know, but not really practical for the 1X with the large antenna required. I will be moving to 1.3 for my other quads probably by next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa View Post
1) The 808 #16 is half the weight of a Mobius. For FPV purposes, you don't need the Mobius' quality.
2) Are you using a 2S so you can step down to 5 volts? Get a Pololu 5v stepup, skip the regulator, and use a decent mAh and C-rating 1s battery.

I've just finished making the adapter you see in the pics, so I haven't actually tested it in this config - the main unit works splendidly, though.
Do you have a blog or something on making that adapter?

1) I know. Hoping to use the Mobius for the better video quality, but if the weight doesn't work I'll probably go to a #16, or possibly just buy another mobius and rip the guts out of the case and shrink wrap it. That should save half the wright right there. Also might go with the OneCam if there's any way to hack it to use an external VTx.
2) The 2s is to power the VTx, I'll let the mobius run off it's own internal battery for this quad. I went with 2s for the weight, those batteries only weigh 16 grams each:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26742

Anyway this is drifting way off topic. All I really wanted to show is that a Mobius can be a viable FPV cam for the Xtreme. I'm not sure the Gopro will work for this purpose due to the weight (no idea what the weight of the RC Logger offerings are but Adam doesn't sound like he had much success with them), so I think a Mobius or a 808 #16 will be the way to go for FPV on this little bird.
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 09:51 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMahesa View Post
2) Are you using a 2S so you can step down to 5 volts? Get a Pololu 5v stepup, skip the regulator, and use a decent mAh and C-rating 1s battery.

I've just finished making the adapter you see in the pics, so I haven't actually tested it in this config - the main unit works splendidly, though.
Staying with the off topic for a second, what protects the lipo from over discharging in your setup or do you just go by time on?
Kim
elimsprint is online now Find More Posts by elimsprint
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 11:05 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2013
39 Posts
AKCobra -
Quote:
The VTx and VRx I'm using are a Fatshark 250mw VTx and the built in VRx on my Fatshark Attitudes. I'm using the original Mobius lens, not the newer wide angle lens
Thank you.
I'd prefer the standard Mobius over the wide as it'll closer match my Zenitar 16mm DSLR lens (quite easy to correct the fisheye too). Problem for me is the final weight these birds can carry in aerial video config. If it's going to stress it by adding a vtx and battery, I'd rather go without FPV. BUT, if I'm without FPV I'd probably have to go with the Wide angle Mobius just so I have a fighting chance of getting what I want in shot. Catch 22.
BHol is offline Find More Posts by BHol
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 12:55 PM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Well if range isn't an issue you could always go with a OneCam to frame your shots and just use the mobius as your video cam. I think the OneCam + Mobius would come in quite a bit under the Mobius+Cables+VTx+Antenna+Battery
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:24 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2013
39 Posts
AKCobra -
Quote:
Well if range isn't an issue you could always go with a OneCam to frame your shots and just use the mobius as your video cam
True, but the OneCam lens isn't the same FOV as the Mobius, you couldn't for instance set up your composition this way. Mind you, that's still better than no FPV at all.
Wish we knew what these final takeoff weights were going to be.
BHol is offline Find More Posts by BHol
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:53 PM
Registered User
AKCobra's Avatar
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
721 Posts
Well the weight of my gear (mobius+cable+Vtx+Antenna+battery) was about 98 grams so it should work. If RC Logger puts out some sort of splitter cable so we can power the VTx off the main battery that would save even more weight. I'm pretty confident we can get it to work.
AKCobra is offline Find More Posts by AKCobra
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2013, 04:21 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,046 Posts
I plan on powering my vtx off of main lipo

So I'll either cut in power leads for vtx or make an adapter

This quad uses a 2s balance lead for power correct?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product RC EYE One from RC Logger Adam.RCLogger Mini Multirotors 2076 Jul 30, 2014 07:53 PM
Article RC Logger RC EYE One Review Matt Gunn Multirotor Talk 125 Mar 07, 2014 08:41 AM
New Product RC EyE ONE from RC Logger Adam.RCLogger Multirotor Talk 25 May 13, 2013 07:33 AM
Discussion RC Logger Eye One, Hubsan X4, Heli-max 1 SQ, Walkera QR Infra X Torch8 Mini Multirotors 4 Feb 15, 2013 09:58 AM