HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2014, 05:29 PM
Addicted to carbon and speed
Australia, QLD, Tingalpa
Joined Jul 2013
148 Posts
Great to hear you're winning the fight in light of the recent setbacks, Timbo!
Soaring Junkie is online now Find More Posts by Soaring Junkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,092 Posts
Nice going on the PU cores Tim. The next step in the evolution hey

Hopefully going to maiden this tomorrow. Double carbon gizlite, 412gm balanced at 151mm.

Took me a while to get everything installed, but pretty happy with the way it turned out in the end.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:29 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,205 Posts
clean build!
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:45 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Hopefully going to maiden this tomorrow. Double carbon gizlite, 412gm balanced at 151mm.

Took me a while to get everything installed, but pretty happy with the way it turned out in the end.
I was literally about to ask "How are people installing metal case servos in the Gizmo", and you posted this! Perfect.

A quick question... Is there anything supporting the lower part of the servo that sticks through the plywood bearer, or does it just dangle in space and rely on the edge glue joint of the plywood to the wing skin? I am thinking of using your method, but will probably make my bearer T shaped, with top and bottom projections supporting the servo parallel to the wing spar. Make sense?
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:47 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,410 Posts
Looks great Geoff- really nice build!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:53 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,515 Posts
Top build Geoff. This was a reject one due to big bubble under the paint near the tail area. He maidened yesterday and ripped out a 105mph. That's good going for a gizlite well done mate.
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:31 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,092 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to flying her a lot more, and getting it really tuned up! The wind was slowly dropping yesterday so really only had time for two flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
A quick question... Is there anything supporting the lower part of the servo that sticks through the plywood bearer, or does it just dangle in space and rely on the edge glue joint of the plywood to the wing skin? I am thinking of using your method, but will probably make my bearer T shaped, with top and bottom projections supporting the servo parallel to the wing spar. Make sense?
The servo is held in with one screw, with the other side butting hard up against the plywood. I did it this way to avoid having to make a separate hole through the plywood for the servo cable. I also ran a small fillet of splooge all the way around the servo (see third photo above) - the theory is that if I need to remove the servo, I can pick away the epoxy and undo one screw.

I think I understand what you've described, and I'm sure it would work well. I was trying to minimise the amount of foam that I had to remove, to keep as much strength in the skin as possible. Its also pretty tight working in this area !
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:47 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
The servo is held in with one screw, with the other side butting hard up against the plywood. I did it this way to avoid having to make a separate hole through the plywood for the servo cable. I also ran a small fillet of splooge all the way around the servo (see third photo above) - the theory is that if I need to remove the servo, I can pick away the epoxy and undo one screw.

I think I understand what you've described, and I'm sure it would work well. I was trying to minimise the amount of foam that I had to remove, to keep as much strength in the skin as possible. Its also pretty tight working in this area !
Thanks, much appreciated. I hadn't noticed in your original post that this was a foam core Gizlite rather than a Gizmo; apologies . Mine is a hollow moulded Gizmo, so I will use your plywood spacer method but add some "over and under" supports (probably in plywood, maybe in foam) for the the servo case. This will ensure the servo is not relying solely on the integrity of the glue joint between the plywood and the wing skins to stay put!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:07 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,068 Posts
Super clean, accurate build there Geoff. The better you build them, the better they fly. That latest video of you ds'ing this one is proof of that. Well done.
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:42 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,092 Posts
Thanks Ezza. I still need to fly her heaps more to get the rates and differential tuned in nicely (and to get my mind tuned in to flying a small fast streak )

===
What's the neatest way of holding the hatch cover on ? I haven't seen anything other than tape - but that just seems so non-Winchdoc-approved
Last edited by Geoff_S; Oct 18, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 06:38 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,515 Posts
Had a really successful week in the shed building , And yesterday got the chance to make some more cores in between laying up gizmo's and tails.
The more I do the better they get due to getting the mixing perfect. I think I can confirm 2 out of the 3 PU are not really up to the task. But one is.
Yesterday I produced 3 perfect cores one after another. All at control temp and cure time , and mixing time and speed. It really amazes me how different all PU are , and even how the mould shape and size and surface and angle change the way the PU reacts. This PU takes a few days to reach full cure , but I'm able to de-mould in a short enough time to be able to make more cores than I can use. After this week I'm 100% positive about the replication on making perfect cores now. All I have to do is see if they will work when making a gizlite ??? Going to be interesting to see how they go when compressed in the mould. Another step closer
BTW they are all around 135g
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by timbuck; Oct 25, 2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 09:21 AM
Themadartist
Australia, QLD, Narangba
Joined Nov 2012
247 Posts
Nice work Tim, and a great result after your longish road of experimentation.

I take it the needle rolling is to promote better adhesion to the skins?

All the best, Steve
Guy97 is online now Find More Posts by Guy97
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:03 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
963 Posts
Sweet! Those are great! Cannot wait for a Gizlite as well. I am sure it will be great!! Way to go.
Diceman89 is online now Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2014, 03:13 PM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Australia, QLD, Maryborough
Joined Jan 2013
177 Posts
Looking real good Tim. Well done.
guitarcher is offline Find More Posts by guitarcher
Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:49 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,329 Posts
Those cores are great Timbo, pushin the limits mate ,good to see.

Seen the Giz2M today. Very impressed how smooth it flies.
A lighter one would have excelled mate.

Keep up the great work buddy

Asto
airtimeasto is online now Find More Posts by airtimeasto