HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Recorder not recognized on USB

Folks,

my recorder used to connect fine with a couple of PCs and a tablet, but it got worst with time where I could no longer connect the USB. Finally, if I take the GPS out of circuit, it works every-time. Perhaps the GPS is causing electrical noise?

I recognize there are other threads on related issues, but they are too old and the system did not allow replying. Hopefully others will find this solution for their connectivity issues as well.

Cheers
Andre Germain is offline Find More Posts by Andre Germain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Andre,

Is the recorder getting power from your receiver or other, when connecting to USB? If not, and the problem only happens with GPS, that may be the issue.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
USB issues

Hello Billpa,

power is provided to all devices from a *bus* of sort - I have a row of male 3 pins (22 in all) that have all power and ground pins connected, into which I plug servos, recorder, etc. The signal pins are bussed according to their purpose/nature (for example, elevator servo signal). This means the power is not specifically from the receiver. Of course, I've tried plugging the USB with aircraft power present and not, and it's the same outcome, it fails to recognize the device. Most times I actually have to remove all I2C devices, GPS included. Quite certain the USB cable you supply is shielded, perhaps the 2 inches or so that isn't is picking up EMI? Or is it conducted emissions?

It is most bothersome as removing all these connections in a cramp avionics bay is work, particularly at the field.

Cheers
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Andre,

Thanks for the info. I suspect the USB circuitry in the recorder is (slowly) failing. Could you open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com, and we can determine next steps.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Recorder USB connectivity Getting worst

Bill,

I put an RMA through as you recommended. Lately it got very bad. I just added a guardian and it talks to the recorder, but I rarely manage to have the USB to work with things connected. I had to remove all servos, motor sensing harness, GPS, accelerometer and only leave the OSD and Guardian, and although it updated the OSD firmware, it kept telling me the version was UNKNOWN and to update it. One update failed, and white the configuration clean, then I noticed a very faint smell of something having given up the ghost in the recorder. After that, the sensors seemed all wrong but I can't tell if it's the configuration I loaded up that went wrong for whatever reason. The only time the USB is 100% solid every time is when everything else is disconnected from the recorder. Very discouraging, was so good 1 year ago and got progressively worst every time I would use the USB.

Cheers