SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
wanted to share my wing strengthening ideas with all.

I used the stock spar from my original, not so air worthy, wings. Cut to length and set flush into the wing.

solid carbon rod set flush as well. in my last flight the ends of the wing remained intact, unfortunately the rest didnt fare so well.

all is well now that I have repaired and replaced and she is ready for flight once again.
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Hi guys,
I haven't posted here in quite some time...just waiting on the never-ending winds to die down so I could get the maiden in.

Finally, got a pretty good day last week and took her out. She flew well, but really seemed down on power. I went with the stock motor, esc, etc, and used a program card to check/adjust all the esc settings.
She seemed to have enough power to fly, but that was about it. I had to stay near max the whole flight, definitely never less than 75% unless descending!

I was using (2) 1800mAh 30C 3s lipo packs in parallel. Got a good 7 minute flight with plenty left over. I have had many...no, tooooo many EDFs over the years, but this one is about the most weakest of the bunch. I either overlooked something or something is not working correctly.

The only issue I know about....at max throttle, this thing sounds like a wild pack animal in severe heat. It picks up some real bad harmonics right at WOT and just shreeks something awful. It is loud as crap and embarassing. I spent a LOT of time balancing the rotors, so will try again. Can't live with that sound. At 75% it sounds ok but barely holds level.

-need to find the source of the wail/scream.
-maybe try one of my 4s packs
-maybe go with a pair of spare Don's wicked motors I have on hand
-try resetting the esc (s)
-just run while holding it over my head and going 'vrooom, vrooom'?!

She flew level well, just slow. She landed great on the retracts and 1/2 flaps.
I flew twice with the same results.

One thing...what TIMING setting are you guys using on the motors? I will check on this too. I usually use 'low' setting since a lot of my planes do run on Don's wicked motors and he always calls for low setting. My larger EDFs sometimes run on low, medium, or rarely, hi.
Thanks everyone, your planes are looking great!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Here was the finished result for the maiden.........
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,963 Posts
Hmm, the stock turbojet was probably one of my most powerful edf's out of the box,(what few I have) only superceded by HK's F-104. Did you do the esc range calibration thing, where you turn on your radio, put it a full throttle, then plug in your plane. Then wait for a couple of tones, but it's not enough to go into programming mode, then go to idle on your tx. Sounds like you know enough about esc's to know that, but it's so unusual, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Did you throw a watt meter on it? I haven't tried multiple batteries in anything yet. Maybe they aren't up to it? 2 3s 1800's would act like 1 3s 3600mah?

I never messed with the timing in my turbojet esc's.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
It is no speed demon for sure, but ain't no slowpoke either! Don't expect gobs of power for steep vertical climbs but a more than scale like cruising TopSpeed and decent climb rate for sure. Possibly with your battery tray and dual 1800s it is too heavy! Biggest battery I run is a Nanotech 2650 3S and a lot of guys fly only with 2200 3s batteries. If I remember correctly I found mine to run the best app medium timing but couldn't say for sure. My right motor shaft came slightly bent out of the box and so it has a pretty good vibration at top speed but I left it alone and never had a problem.
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
CSI
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Seems nobody is still around flying this nice twin?

Anyway....I spent some time this evening experimenting with the 2 motors and fans.
I pulled all the wires and RX out and put each esc on the programmer.
Seems I somehow had ended up putting one esc on HI timing and the other on low timing. Go figure?
I tried running them on low, med, and hi timing, but found the motors only liked to run on low together. On medium and hi settings, ONE of the motors would really have troubles running smoothly. It would jump between steps while throttling up and down. Definitely not a smooth transition. This went away when set to low timing.
I also tried normal, soft, and super soft startup settings. They only liked super soft. They would jitter a bit on the other two settings.

Finally, I removed the rotors for one more good balancing session. I got them as good as I can do. I also reset the full throttle setting for them to make sure they have the full range.

They are definitely running a bit better together now. There is still some harmonics that don't sound good together at several different speeds, but much better and not near as loud/clashing as before.

I checked the runs with my wattmeter. On the 3s lipos I was pulling about 30 amps together. This was consistent using multiple lipos.

I next put them on a 4s pack. I liked the sound a lot better. The harmonics clash didn't seem as bad sounding as on 3s. The amp draw went up to 40 for the pair. 20 each on those 40 amp esc's isn't too bad!

I have decided to fly her on the same lipos I use on my Dynam Meteor....4s 3300mAh. Since I will be able to fly at a much lower power setting, I think flightimes will be pretty good, as compared to my 3600mAh 3s combo.

I can't wait to give her another try now. Even better, I have enough 3300 packs to fly multiple times. I was running short on my 1800mAh 3a packs. All good?!

I also forgot to mention in my previous post: I inserted CF spars in the horizontal stabs to strengthen them up too. I also sprayed my normal WBPU spray coating on the entire airframe which really makes the foam nice...smooth, shiny, and a bit stronger.

Wish me luck,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,255 Posts
Still Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Thanks for the reply! Seems nobody is still around flying this nice twin?

Anyway....I spent some time this evening experimenting with the 2 motors and fans.
I pulled all the wires and RX out and put each esc on the programmer.
Seems I somehow had ended up putting one esc on HI timing and the other on low timing. Go figure?
I tried running them on low, med, and hi timing, but found the motors only liked to run on low together. On medium and hi settings, ONE of the motors would really have troubles running smoothly. It would jump between steps while throttling up and down. Definitely not a smooth transition. This went away when set to low timing.
I also tried normal, soft, and super soft startup settings. They only liked super soft. They would jitter a bit on the other two settings.

Finally, I removed the rotors for one more good balancing session. I got them as good as I can do. I also reset the full throttle setting for them to make sure they have the full range.

They are definitely running a bit better together now. There is still some harmonics that don't sound good together at several different speeds, but much better and not near as loud/clashing as before.

I checked the runs with my wattmeter. On the 3s lipos I was pulling about 30 amps together. This was consistent using multiple lipos.

I next put them on a 4s pack. I liked the sound a lot better. The harmonics clash didn't seem as bad sounding as on 3s. The amp draw went up to 40 for the pair. 20 each on those 40 amp esc's isn't too bad!

I have decided to fly her on the same lipos I use on my Dynam Meteor....4s 3300mAh. Since I will be able to fly at a much lower power setting, I think flightimes will be pretty good, as compared to my 3600mAh 3s combo.

I can't wait to give her another try now. Even better, I have enough 3300 packs to fly multiple times. I was running short on my 1800mAh 3a packs. All good?!

I also forgot to mention in my previous post: I inserted CF spars in the horizontal stabs to strengthen them up too. I also sprayed my normal WBPU spray coating on the entire airframe which really makes the foam nice...smooth, shiny, and a bit stronger.

Wish me luck,
Ken
Ken, Your luck is wished..!!
I watch with much amazment the good and bad of this reading... Funny for this is my 1st EDF and seemingly all is normal out of the box.. I can tell its no speed demon, however I wouldn't nickname it a "slouch".. Fans seem balanced enough as to no noticable issues.... I am happy for trying to "time" my ESCs would intimidate me..!! I read with amazement the battery size you stuff in there... I am flying currently with a high "c" 2200mah 3s.. Flaps, gear and all.. Seems more than adequate...Scale like.. Perhaps after more stick time I'll stuff in a 2200 4s I have.. Never put a watt meter to it.. Anyway, I read every thing personnally, Don't always chime in,, Love my Turbo jet and all my kids in the fleet... I have to "rotate" my flying time between them..!! (A bunch)... CliffName: Guiness Jet at Field 004.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 261.1 KB
Description:
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,634 Posts
Excellent reading and lots of good information! Thanks. What is the spray that you applied to the airframe? Is it a white paint? I would like to do the same. Also, having flown for some time I realize that some of the issues we face are really amplified with a incorrect CG. Have you checked your after installing the wood casing for the batteries? I just did my maiden flight and it flew very nice but not yet great, as I did not like the way the wings flapped like a bird.

Summary of specific questions:
1. Information on the spray paint and coating you applied
2. Carbon Fiber wing reinformcement details, size and procedure and etc

Thanks again!!
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Summary of specific questions:
1. Information on the spray paint and coating you applied
2. Carbon Fiber wing reinformcement details, size and procedure and etc

Thanks again!!
1.) Being that it is EPO foam, you can use ANY type of paint!

2.) Unless you intend to fly it like a hotliner, carbon fiber is overkill....I used a length of the 3M "Packaging Tape" (the clear tape with the fiber strands running length of the tape). Wings will flex a little, but will not break. Barely noticeable, but can be painted if you scuff the tape a bit, first.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,634 Posts
How do you install a new set of retracts? I have teh plastic parts but none of teh parst resemble the soft part that the orignal retract sits in? And the plastics parts don't have the same parts either? Please help!! Thanks!1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:52 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,634 Posts
This plane can take some serious abuse and still fly! It impressed me over the weekend!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
South Windsor, Connecticut
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
I'm considering ordering one. Should I bother with retracts or the gear at all? I fly off grass. Can the Turbo Jet be easily hand-launched with the stock set up? Thanks
Gbee is offline Find More Posts by Gbee
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
I'm considering ordering one. Should I bother with retracts or the gear at all? I fly off grass. Can the Turbo Jet be easily hand-launched with the stock set up? Thanks
I get to "legally" voice my opinion when questions like this arise... Isn't Landing and taking off part of "Flying" ?? I don't want to be insensitive to those with limited available flying areas but I would be hard pressed to own a plane w/out landing gear of some sort.. At least retractable if need be..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
There is NO way you could hand launch this...I tried a few times with not luck..
this thing needs 75-100' of runway to build up enough speed.

Other than that it flies great!
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
There is NO way you could hand launch this...I tried a few times with not luck..
this thing needs 75-100' of runway to build up enough speed.

Other than that it flies great!
+1; +1!

Maybe with a catapult...
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy