HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
How to get started

Hi guys,

I have been looking at getting back into some RC, I have been out of it for 20 years or so (I've been flying control line since then). I used to do some Sport flying back then, fun fly etc. but always liked the idea of HLG

the world of RC has changed since I last flew with 2.4GHz gear, and HLGs have changed since then too.

just looking at radio gear there is so much kit out there, and i know nothing of HLGs regarding what is useful and what is not so useful. so i was just wondering what was advice for radio and models for someone who is interested and may well start to compete in the next few years.

Many thanks

Graham
Graham Ives is offline Find More Posts by Graham Ives
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:34 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,263 Posts
Welcome Graham where do you live? There may be locals you can hook up with.
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:46 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Mar 2014
119 Posts
Graham,

Welcome aboard the DLG/f3k game! You are in for a wild ride. DLG is like nothing else. I too had been out of RC flying for many years when I decided to get back into it I found DLG's. HLG's never really had an appeal to me but DLG's did.
A couple of common questions will be....

Where are you located? this will help you find others that are into DLG/F3K as well. Nice to have others to fly with.

What is your budget? As you may already know if you are doing research DLG can get real expensive real fast and knowing what resources you have to work with help point newbies in the right direction.

As for a radio...well in my eyes there is only one... the FrSky Taranis . Best bang for the buck and you can do everything but run a nuclear reactor with it. It does have a little of a learning curve but you can program endless mixes with it which you need to really enjoy the better DLG's.
Updraft67 is offline Find More Posts by Updraft67
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:07 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Ives View Post
so i was just wondering what was advice for radio and models for someone who is interested and may well start to compete in the next few years.
You said compete so that means flying with people. So I would suggest not buying anything but instead meeting up with the folks in your area to find out what they fly and then that would greatly narrow your choices.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:52 AM
Esprit Model
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Aug 2006
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
You said compete so that means flying with people. So I would suggest not buying anything but instead meeting up with the folks in your area to find out what they fly and then that would greatly narrow your choices.
Ryan
One of the best pieces of advice that I have read today...

Because you are just coming back to the hobby, fly the gear that your support structure flies or is familiar with and "learn the ropes".
Then, branch out when you have more experience.
David
Techflyer is offline Find More Posts by Techflyer
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:17 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Updraft67 View Post
As for a radio...well in my eyes there is only one... the FrSky Taranis . Best bang for the buck and you can do everything but run a nuclear reactor with it. It does have a little of a learning curve but you can program endless mixes with it which you need to really enjoy the better DLG's.
Agreed. For $200 you get a radio that can do $2500 worth of programming or be as simple as a 2 channel Radio Shack tx. As for running a nuclear reactor, I think it's an option the special functions tab

Back to the OT, welcome to the addiction, Graham. I really urge you to go to a contest also, you'll meet tons of great people in this community and probably end up with some equipment for a bargain!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:29 AM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Agreed. For $200 you get a radio that can do $2500 worth of programming or be as simple as a 2 channel Radio Shack tx. As for running a nuclear reactor, I think it's an option the special functions tab
I think Kyle's become a Taranite. Welcome to the dark side.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:21 PM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Ives View Post
Hi guys,

I have been looking at getting back into some RC, I have been out of it for 20 years or so (I've been flying control line since then). I used to do some Sport flying back then, fun fly etc. but always liked the idea of HLG

the world of RC has changed since I last flew with 2.4GHz gear, and HLGs have changed since then too.

just looking at radio gear there is so much kit out there, and i know nothing of HLGs regarding what is useful and what is not so useful. so i was just wondering what was advice for radio and models for someone who is interested and may well start to compete in the next few years.

Many thanks

Graham
Welcome to the dark side. Definitely fewer mid-airs in DLG (at most contests anyway...), and your clothes won't stink of burnt castor oil after a day of flying.

I agree with most of the other posters, the Taranis is a great radio. Until last season I was flying Airtronics (SD-10G), but there are some things I want to do now that need the versatility the Taranis provides.

For planes, I would say it's all about budget and availability. Your first few planes will almost certainly take some pretty serious abuse, so don't be afraid to go used if you can find something in good condition at the right price. This will also get you flying faster, as you don't have to complete the build for a new model.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:15 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imack View Post
... Until last season I was flying Airtronics (SD-10G), but there are some things I want to do now that need the versatility the Taranis provides.
Ivan MacKenzie.
While we wait for Graham...Ivan can you expand on that? I'm an SD10G owner...sell me a Taranis.

John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:14 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,428 Posts
My money is on JJ getting a T box by mid summer!! LOL
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:47 PM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
While we wait for Graham...Ivan can you expand on that? I'm an SD10G owner...sell me a Taranis.

John
  1. I have a bad habit of sometimes leaving the radio in Launch mode after the launch is over and done with. This has cost me more than once in a comp (i.e. get to thermal, why won't the plane go up properly???) With the Taranis, I can easily add an alarm along the lines of "x seconds after releasing the launch preset, if the flight mode is still launch, sound an alarm".
  2. The way the trims work on the SD-10G, I find them almost useless for aileron and rudder. Turn trims should be common for all flight modes, not separate.
  3. There is a LUA script for the Taranis that will allow you practice and self-time every F3K task.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:22 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,352 Posts
Mr Jonke, if you start looking at a Taranis, you will get one. I am so glad that I took a chance on it. It has definitely helped me setup and fly my dlgs better. And there is a training script that simulates all the tasks except poker and AULD. And it is dirt cheap!!!
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:05 AM
Mike
Belgium
Joined May 2014
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imack View Post
  1. I have a bad habit of sometimes leaving the radio in Launch mode after the launch is over and done with. This has cost me more than once in a comp (i.e. get to thermal, why won't the plane go up properly???) With the Taranis, I can easily add an alarm along the lines of "x seconds after releasing the launch preset, if the flight mode is still launch, sound an alarm".
    [...]
  2. There is a LUA script for the Taranis that will allow you practice and self-time every F3K task.
My climb mode ends when I level the plane (triggered by a large enough input on the elevator). So I never forget it

More information on the training script is available here with a link to the download (shameless ad ).
on4mj is online now Find More Posts by on4mj
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:41 AM
Joined Jan 2015
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys, i appreciate that. Ivan, i thought F2D was the dark side? :-)

i am located in North East England (Durham near Newcastle). i am not aware of any UK guys in my area but tbh haven't really investigated yet.

Some good advice about getting to the field (and a competition) and talking to people before buying.

All of this years BMFA comps seem to be in the south of the UK so i am guessing that this is where the majority of DLG guys are in the UK?

The advice on the radio gear is great too, i can start looking at that now there are few new names to me rather than just the traditional JR and Futaba that i remember. Budget is fairly low for a model at the moment (200 -300) to get started as i am still trying to compete in F2D, F2E and other UK classes of combat, so i have to spread the financial load a little.

Thanks

Graham
Graham Ives is offline Find More Posts by Graham Ives
Old Jan 24, 2015, 06:37 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
744 Posts
Hi Graham, I am one of the southern UK DLG flyers you allude to. You are correct, the majority of UK DLG competitors are in the South. What I would call our northern event, in Twywell, is 3hrs south of you! I guess the closest event will be the Nationals. There are northern DLG flyers though, but they don't seem to compete much, which is a shame. It would be great if there was a northern contest scene.

Anyway, it might be useful to keep an eye on the for sale section on flyquiet.co.uk as decent 2nd DLG come up for sale every now and then. I hope to meet you at a contest one day.

M
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Last edited by MikeHLG; Jan 25, 2015 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Spelling