SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
Discussion
Charging question

Trying to charge a Li Po battery... Little charger says ErO and beeps when hooked up to power source. Tried small 12 volt motorcycle battery and a 110 converter to 12 volt. It has a 2 amp fuse. Not sure what the charger should say when it is properly charging...? The charger came with the plane, it is a BC-4S15D. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Sfoth is offline Find More Posts by Sfoth
Last edited by Sfoth; Jan 15, 2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2015, 02:44 PM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Apr 2009
2,802 Posts
A link to your plane / charger would help.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:03 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,185 Posts
Is this the charger, and is the "110 converter to 12 volt" you're using the one in the picture?

Is there any specific pattern to the beeps when you get the error?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
abenn, The picture of the charger is right but that is all it is.. All it has is the red and black alligator clips like in the picture. There was no 110 converter. What I am trying to use is a large converter that I use to use to power an old business band radio. In the back of that converter it has a 2 amp fuse so I'm thinking this is a low output and would be safe to use. I was just hooking the 2 alligator clips to the post on the back of the converter were the 12 volt radio was previously hooked up. Has soon as I hook up my blue charger to the power on the converter it the red read out gets brighter and then the read out on the charger says ErO and beeps about every second. I question whether it is too much power for the charger but I don't know what else I could use... I hooked up to a 12volt motorcycle battery and it did the exact same thing.
When I first hooked up the charger with no power to it.. only the battery hook up it would read normal as far as I know. It would flash through all four batterys and say about 3.8 each and then ALL 12.8 or so. Now since I tried to charge it for the first time and after trying to fly the plane a little bit it read lower.. About 3.2 and they don't read as close to the same as they did. Thanks for your help. I know absolutely nothing about these toys.. I' mfarmer.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:40 AM
Joined Jul 2004
12,185 Posts
Electrickery can be a bit daunting when you start

Your battery voltage is about right for one that's been used, but don't use it any more until you find a way to charge it, or you might permanently damage it.

If my idea about your 12v power supply not being enough for your charger is correct, I wouldn't expect you to get the error message until you start the charge -- not straight away when you connect it up. On the other hand, if it's putting out way above 12v when there's no load on it, that might give an error message. Have you got a multimeter that will allow you to check the volts from the power supply when it's connected to your charger?

Having said that, the fact that you have the same message when using a 12v car/truck battery suggests it's not caused by too much voltage

Another possibility is the LiPo's voltage is too low for the charger, though 3.2v should normally be okay. It would be worth checking the voltages with a meter, instead of with the charger, to make sure no cell is below 3.0v. Be careful when doing this, for it's easy to short the pins on the balance plug when you're trying to take a reading.

If your voltage readings are okay for your 12v supplies, I would suggest a visit to your local hobby store, or the place you bought the gear.

Edit: I've just thought of something else to try; I used to use a 12v car battery to supply power to one of my chargers, and when its voltage got low I connected a cheap car battery charger to it. My LiPo charger would give error messages if I tried to use the car battery charger by itself, but it was okay when the car battery charger and the car battery were connected together to supply power to my LiPo charger.
Last edited by abenn; Jan 17, 2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
I will try to hook it up to a big car charger and see what happens when I change the voltage and amperage. Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
12,185 Posts
I hope you mean you'll hook your 12v battery up to a car charger.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
No I hooked the car charger to the alligator clips... It would still be a 12 volt source. I switched the car charger to 6 volts just to see if any thing changed but it didn't. Still same message Er0.
Then I plugged a computer charger to the charger and it gave me the message Er2. Not a clue what to do now. One of the batterys is saying 3.02 volts now and the others are about 3.4 Everything was brand new... maybe a fault some where. Is the little blue charger/balancer suppose to be hooked up to the battery and then it is suppose to get all the voltage on each battery the same? If I leave it hooked up for a while it just seems to be draining the batterys slowly.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:24 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfoth View Post
No I hooked the car charger to the alligator clips... It would still be a 12 volt source.

A car charger is not a good source of power to run your battery charger. It does not provide "clean" power. As abenn mentioned above the power from the car charger has "ripples" on it and your LiPo battery charger will be unhappy with it. You should connect the car charger to a 12V battery and then connect that battery to your LiPo battery charger.

I switched the car charger to 6 volts just to see if any thing changed but it didn't. Still same message Er0.
Then I plugged a computer charger to the charger and it gave me the message Er2. Not a clue what to do now. One of the batterys is saying 3.02 volts now and the others are about 3.4 Everything was brand new... maybe a fault some where. Is the little blue charger/balancer suppose to be hooked up to the battery and then it is suppose to get all the voltage on each battery the same?

You must power the LiPo charger with 12V via the red and black alligator clips for the LiPo charger to work.

If I leave it hooked up for a while it just seems to be draining the batterys slowly.

That is correct. With no power to your LiPo charger all it is doing is to read out the LiPo batteries connected to it and draining them.
May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 18, 2015, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
Ok I understand. I just wanted to try a different type of power source because hooking up to a 12 volt battery wasn't working. I got this plane as a gift and it had no instructions. Does anyone know why I would get the beeps and the reading ErO on the charger. What should it say when it is charging properly?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:15 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfoth View Post
Ok I understand. I just wanted to try a different type of power source because hooking up to a 12 volt battery wasn't working. I got this plane as a gift and it had no instructions. Does anyone know why I would get the beeps and the reading ErO on the charger. What should it say when it is charging properly?
Connecting to a 12V battery should be OK as long as it is properly charged. Did you measure the battery voltage with it connected to your charger?

I searched for a users manual but had no success. I did find another thread referencing this charger back in 2013. There was no resolution to that one either.

As to the beeps and indications I have no clue.

Frankly if I were you I would replace that charger with something with a known good reputation.

FMA makes several good chargers. Look at the Multi 4.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...pro-Chargers_2

And as mentioned above you should always provide links and full specifications to any equipment you have questions about. The more information you provide the less speculation will be contained in the answers.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 18, 2015, 07:11 PM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Apr 2009
2,802 Posts
My guess is the battery has been discharged to low and the charger will not recognize it so it will not start the charge.

This is just a guess. Do you have a way to test the battery voltage with a voltage tester? That would be a start.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx