Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:32 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,109 Posts
Build Log
FMS FW 190 Dora Conversion Kit

Hi All,

I decided to start this separate thread to show and discuss the conversion kit I'm putting together for the FMS 1400mm FW190. This will allow the plane to be converted to a D9.

While this kit/modification is designed to be as easy as practical, is does involve some building skills. This will all be detailed as I convert my second FW190 into a D9 using this kit.

Here is a video talking about some of the aspects of the mod.

Cheers,

Steve

Dora Mod Intro (8 min 18 sec)
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
ok watching this

cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:47 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,496 Posts
Fascinating.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:34 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,847 Posts
Is that the famous "Butchered Bird"?

Seriously, I want the spinner and the paddle prop.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:47 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,777 Posts
Interesting to say the least. Looks like a goer.
A few questions....
What's wrong with the 3d printed props are they are ? Now will you make them from wood ?
How much extra weight have you added to your existing FW190 ? Will the new conversion kit weigh more still ? I totally get that you don't fret about such things yourself but I'm sure some will.

Brent.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:12 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Interesting to say the least. Looks like a goer.
A few questions....
What's wrong with the 3d printed props are they are ? Now will you make them from wood ?
How much extra weight have you added to your existing FW190 ? Will the new conversion kit weigh more still ? I totally get that you don't fret about such things yourself but I'm sure some will.

Brent.
I have weighed the section of nose that I removed and it comes in at 230g (with slug still in it). That's a decent amount to work with. So far the parts I have printed are very light. The Gun Hood all up is 50g and the Air Scoop is 16g. I do however anticipate that there will be an increase in overall dry weight of the plane (no battery), but I don't think it will be too much over the stock weight. Certainly well within the comfortable wing loading limits of this plane.

With regards to the propeller being wood, this is because the Dora paddle blades move a hell of a lot more air than the standard VDM style blades. I have been testing them for about 6 months using different materials and designs, and based on my results the only way to ensure that they are not only strong enough for the task, but also light weight, is to make them out of wood. I will be using Tasmanian Oak in my initial trials. It's readily available, cheap, strong and is used to make full size propeller blades too.

I have attached a render of the parts in the kit as they are printed. The radiator, exhaust stacks and small air scoop are missing from the image. The Gun Hood also is printed in two halves but not shown here.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,777 Posts
OK great answers... I will be watching. Not sure how I would get on making wooden props from scratch. I have made alterations from existing wooden ones. Wasn't hard at all but a little time consuming. They worked well because the motor had a low KV. One thing I will say about wooden props thou is that they are more brittle and so if you suffer a prop strike ? Also just to be sure you are printing these parts out of standard ASB filament right ?
And.... when are you going to start work on a more serious plane like a P40 ?

Brent.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:08 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,847 Posts
Another P-40?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Another P-40?
True... but they are all small and I'm only joking anyhow.

Brent.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:53 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Not sure how I would get on making wooden props from scratch. I have made alterations from existing wooden ones. Wasn't hard at all but a little time consuming. They worked well because the motor had a low KV. One thing I will say about wooden props thou is that they are more brittle and so if you suffer a prop strike ? Also just to be sure you are printing these parts out of standard ASB filament right ?
And.... when are you going to start work on a more serious plane like a P40 ?

Brent.
Yes the parts are printed using ABS filament. Much stronger than the PLA filament.

To make the wood blades I am building a copy carver machine. Plenty of vids on the tube showing the process. Once the machine is up and running I should be able to carve a prop blade in about 15 minutes, including setup. Finishing will obviously take a little longer, but not a problem.

As far as the motor KV and the scale paddle prop, I will be recommending a lower KV motor. Somewhere around the 400 to 450KV region depending on how many cells you want to run. The good thing about my new spinner assembly is that you can use any 3 blade prop with it if you don't want the scale prop. No special mounts required.

And as for the P40.......... no thanks
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:45 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
4,109 Posts
Hi All,

I have attached these pics to illustrate some of the differences between the scale dimensions (my parts) and FMS dimensions. The FMS gun hood for example seems to have been squished a bit when compared to the actual scale gun hood. This is easy enough to fix, but just goes to show some of the liberties the manufacturers take. Having said all that FMS have never claimed that these are anything other than stand-off scale, so it is what it is.

I have almost completed printing the parts for the main nose section and will get onto that a bit later today, because right now it's 09:45 and the temp is in the mid 30's! The pool beckons

Cheers,

Steve
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:59 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,787 Posts
Standing by for updates. Pretty exciting stuff.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 15, 2014, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
good times

with all the technology available now, its a good time to be a kit basher. personally I would like to see the next step in 3d printing be some kind of wood/cellulose " goo" that is as workable/repairable as actual wood, but that can be spit out of a 3d-goo gun
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Nov 15, 2014, 09:59 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
4,109 Posts
Ok another update.

I have tacked in place the main parts of the Dora nose, and trimmed a little foam from the original exhaust area. It's all looking pretty darn good so far, very happy. I did make a bit of a gaff when I cut the nose off the plane. I measured wrong and removed a little too much nose. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed. After all this is a prototype, and the perfect place to iron out any issues.

So far, not including designing or printing the parts, I have totalled about 20 min work to get the mod to this stage.

The cowling is printing as I type. After that I will print out the tail extension.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:38 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,847 Posts
Maestro!