SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:43 PM
Test crash pilot
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX18 charging issue

When I charge my dx18 with the supplied charger I usually only get to about 7.4V in the display.. Today I have been charging for 28hrs and it is reading 7.5V... I thought it should go to 8.4ish in around 15hrs...? right?
hansib is offline Find More Posts by hansib
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
26,049 Posts
It takes about 20 hours to get a full charge. It should be reading 8.4V when it gets there (the blue LED turns off when charged).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:41 AM
Test crash pilot
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It takes about 20 hours to get a full charge. It should be reading 8.4V when it gets there (the blue LED turns off when charged).

Andy
Ok. Now around 30hrs later, its still at 7.5v. Please note that its never gone higher.. And i got it when it was released.. I just never thought of it.. Busted battery, charger or power supply?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:20 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,857 Posts
Is the blue led behind the Spektrum bars going off? Try running it down and charging a few times. Mine shut off early the first couple times but is performing normally after 3 or 4 cycles.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:53 AM
Test crash pilot
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Is the blue led behind the Spektrum bars going off? Try running it down and charging a few times. Mine shut off early the first couple times but is performing normally after 3 or 4 cycles.
The blue led does not stop.. Even after around 30hrs.. At which the indicator shows 7.5v. I'll measure the voltage at the battery later today to see if the measurement is just off..
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:03 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,776 Posts
sounds like a defective cell -
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:31 PM
Test crash pilot
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
ok, ive measured the cells. Total 7.49v, cell1 3.74, cell2 3.75v. Output voltage on the power supply is 13,75v.. So I guess that rules out defective cells and the power supply, right?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:40 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,994 Posts
3.74/3.75 is below storage charge levels so if these values are after many hours of charging something is up.... Have you contacted HH ?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:17 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
26,049 Posts
CYCLE THEM FIRST! Then charge.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,776 Posts
Using ONLY the included power supply I presume you mean that the tx should be used till default low warning occurs?
then charge again?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 07:46 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansib View Post
ok, ive measured the cells. Total 7.49v, cell1 3.74, cell2 3.75v. Output voltage on the power supply is 13,75v.. So I guess that rules out defective cells and the power supply, right?
Doesnt rule anything out at this point but like I said (and i have 2 of the LiIon2000s)I had one of mine that was wimpy and after a couple cycles it came up to normal. IIRC the blue led was still lit after around 30 hrs the first time too and I just pulled it off and used it.
If it doesnt come around after a couple cycles I would then put in a request to service to get another pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Using ONLY the included power supply I presume you mean that the tx should be used till default low warning occurs?
then charge again?
Thats what I did.Just run it down to the LVA using the radio and then recharge with the OEM setup. I just recharged my DX9 and this time it came off at 8.3
I think it has 7 or 8 cycles on it now.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 08:22 PM
Joined Oct 2007
7,776 Posts
This very simple to do ,yet very effective conditioning of new batteries is often left for the newcomers to figure out for themselves.
a little "before using" reminder on the box, might resolve anxious moments for the radio buyer .
Old Jan 21, 2015, 03:21 AM
Test crash pilot
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Ok, i'll try to cycle them a couple of times.
But does anyone know if the radio will shut itself off before the battery goes below critical voltage? Other than the low voltage alert..
Old Jan 21, 2015, 03:59 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansib View Post
Ok, i'll try to cycle them a couple of times.
But does anyone know if the radio will shut itself off before the battery goes below critical voltage? Other than the low voltage alert..
No it wont. It will not shut off until approx 6.0 volts. With the alarm set at 6.4 it is plenty of time to land. This is how it acts in normal operation with a normally functioning pack. The disconnect is a function of the circuit in the pack itself.
If there is possibly problem with the pack I personally probably wouldnt push that fact to the limit the first time around while inflight if thats what your getting at.
I set my alarm up to 6.6 and did setups and farted with the programming and left it sitting on the bench turned On the first time I ran it down.
Make sure you double check that the Battery setting in System Settings is on LiIon.
If the voltage doesnt go up much past what it did the first time and the blue led doesnt terminate the second time around I would consider making a request for a new pack.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:07 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,789 Posts
Maybe your PSU drops it's voltage unter load.Try another 12-15V PSU for charging.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem