HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2015, 05:47 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Discussion
how bad are flysky receivers ?

I have a turnigy 9xr and fitted a rf9x v2 module with the aerial fitted to the back of the mmodule, i have this bound with a hobbyking 6 channel receiver flysky type... i thinking of getting the frsky system but really would like to know how bad is the flysky system...

i bound it when i first had it, but has never lost its bind with the transmitter, but i am very sceptical about the receivers range, and suspect i have had a few brownouts... i cant really pin point and say for definite that i had receiver brown outs, as it may have been to my battery being a bit low.. and the receiver not working at a lower voltage...

I have some other quadcopters i am looking to get going and really cant afford the frsky system...

how bad is the flysky receivers... i need the 8 channel ?

is there any way of ensuring a reliable flysky system
handsomejackuk is offline Find More Posts by handsomejackuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2015, 04:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,241 Posts
The general view is that they work well within their limitations. One such limitation is that the transmitter does not provide a way to do a reduced power range test. There is therefore no practical way to check for normal operation except by flying. Another is that failsafe is limited to cutting off pulses to the ESC if signal is lost; there is no failsafe for fuel-powered models.

Your post seems to confuse brown-outs with signal loss. All RC systems are subject to brown-outs if the voltage drops below a certain level. This is easily avoided by using an adequate power source, whether ESC or BEC or battery. Brown-outs have nothing to do with range. The receiver simply continues working normally until the voltage is so low it stops working altogether. Whether it recovers quickly (or at all) depends on the cause of power loss.

The FlySky radio systems are generally considered to have ample range for normal visual flying. However, they only have a single antenna, which may make installation in a difficult situation like a CF quad problematic.

All this being said, there is no doubt that FrSky is a superior radio system in all ways. So it depends what you want.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 07, 2015, 05:30 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
FlySky have the new FSi range out with full range receivers using two aerials and with built in failsafe and telemetry. There are good reviews out on them already and prices are great. I have just purchased an FSi6 for use in my vintage planes and have had no range issues to date. Have range tested on ground and was able to walk out to 1.2km with no issues. I am sure it could have gone out further but the area I was testing in was just not large enough the walk out any further. I have full confidence in this unit and would have no hesitation in using it in my larger and faster gas models. Previously I use to have the FS6 which is an earlier model with only a single aerial wire on the receiver, there has been mixed reviews on this model and I know some people have experienced range issues.
gofast53 is offline Find More Posts by gofast53
Old Jan 09, 2015, 06:20 AM
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
thanks for the rep[ies fellas... i will look in to the new flysky receivers....
handsomejackuk is offline Find More Posts by handsomejackuk