HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:38 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,606 Posts
It has begun

I decided to have a look at the broken rudder tonight. I removed the old covering, it was very brittle. Once I got the covering off the rudder it fell into two pieces. After looking it over a little bit I determined that very little wood was actually broken. A few glue joints had broken and the rudders trailing edge had broken in two places but I can easily fix it. It will have probably taken more time to remove all of the little covering fragments then it will take to glue up the broken rudder.

I also spent a little time removing the paint. The white paint is coming off very easily, that gold paint is another matter entirely. Who ever put that gold paint on did a really good job. I have only tried sanding for now due to it being cold outside and paint remover fumes in a closed up garage are something to be avoided. We will see how it goes, I might just leave the gold paint alone and prime and repaint over the top of it. After all it is really stuck on there so will probably be OK.

Here is a picture to keep you all interested. Will post more as I go along.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,598 Posts
Wayne,
Try scraping with a cold chisel. Get the broadest one you have, make sure its sharp, the use it as a scraper. I used this technique to strip old paint and decades old monokote adhesive from the wings/stabs/rudder of a Hobie Hawk and it worked great. By scraping you get the paint and little to none of the wood boom. Should also work on the glass fuse pod.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:12 AM
Rising hot air = Good!
United States, SC, Murrells Inlet
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Very cool Wayne. Looks like a fairly simple repair on the rudder

Randy
rkuntz is online now Find More Posts by rkuntz
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:34 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,606 Posts
Hey, I know it is not much but this Sailaire will fly again. I just hate seeing these great classic sailplanes being slowly broken beyond repair while sitting in a garage. Too many people have no clue what these classic wood sailplanes are. Not this one, OK I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Made a little more progress tonight. Got the joints cleaned up and the rudder glued back together. I am going to reinforce the rudder ribs with a little tri stock at the fin post. Seems like a prudent thing to do to help prevent future glue joint failures.

Wayne
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:00 AM
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
655 Posts
I brought a windsong back from death - it was abandoned and no one wanted it - it actually flew really well when I finished it - congrats to you windependence
fa2 is online now Find More Posts by fa2
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
651 Posts
I bought one of these planes from a friend a couple years ago. Mine has the long boom and the super big tall and "balanced" rudder so it makes it extra awkward to store and transport. Last summer I built a special transport and storage box out of 4' X 8' sheets of 1/4" thick coroplast I picked up from a local plastic supply store. Columbus is a big city so I don't know if everyone has someone local, but I was able to transport these sheets back to my house in my minivan and used a utility knife and hot glue to cut the coroplast to shape and assemble it. The box is huge, maybe 6'8" long and about 18" wide and 8" thick. My Sailaire is so big that one sheet of the coroplast was just barely big enough to properly contain the plane. Both wings, the stab and the fuse all fit in there nicely and now I don't worry about hanger rash with the beast.

If you click on this link to the 2013 NATS news and scroll to page 5 you will see me and my plane along with a little story of an off field landing.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/070213.pdf
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; Yesterday at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added picture link
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,606 Posts
Hi Skye, I have been giving some thought on transporting this monster. I like your box idea, I may need to look into doing something similar. I am guessing that is how the rudder and wings on my Sailaire were damaged in the first place, getting banged up in storage or in a vehicle during transport.

Wayne
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
651 Posts
Wayne

Keep in mind this box is long and bulky. For instance it didn't fit into my station wagon but it does fit into my minivan. Oh and I used a combination of the hot glue and the real strong packing tape. If you happen to have a really heavy duty stapler that would probably be ideal, honestly.

Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070