SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:50 AM
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Oct 2013
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
If you can turn OFF the Stabiliser, which I expect it CAN be, then that Lemon RX could be used.
It is not ideal to do though.... but would work...

The RX will need a control channel, set the stabiliser mode, or off etc. You donl;t have to assign a Switch to that, but you do need to assign a Channel - and set that channel to have the right value for turning it OFF always. eg that might be -100 (800uS). Some radios go from 0 - 50 -100, so it might be 50 on that.
Because the unit is an RX, they will have permanently 'taken' one Channel to control it I expect. eg Ch6 or something.
So as long as you have it OFF, then the RX is just passing all your controls in their "RAW" state - as per having no stabiliser at all anyway.
Thus it would still feed the Storm what it wants.....

The reason it is "Not ideal" is that it IS possible to turn it on, and if it DID get turned on then the Lemon RX Stabiliser would almost certainly start sending 'mad and excessive' commands (servo commands) to the Storm, which would then start controlling the plane like that. PLUS adding in its own 'ideas' of stability if you were in PA or RTH mode....
Because the Lemon Stabiliser was ONLY sending commands that it really worked out are 'needed' to fly stable, they might still be passable as inputs to the Storm and NOT make it over react etc. I guess it would make for an interesting test... maybe. Or a dangerous one! LOL
But anyway, best is to NOT feed a Stabiliser into another stabiliser.... so turn the Lemon Stabilsier OFF... for sure.

The RX having Failsafe is a useful thing, as it then means you can set that to trigger RTH on RC signal loss. You do not HAVE to have it, but it is a BIG PLUS !!!
Thanks, Yes, channel 6 on the lemon rx stab is a dedicated channel to turn the stabilization on and off from my gear switch.
I do have a AR8000 RX that has preset failsafe and a AR 6??? , Now I'm planning on doing short range fpv say a mile or under and hoping to stay within that range. I think the ar8000 with the preset failsafe might be my best bet in case the worst happens.
Demo7 is online now Find More Posts by Demo7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2012
944 Posts
fail safe + 2.4 ghz control + fpv gear and storm = Fun
quadcopter007fpv is offline Find More Posts by quadcopter007fpv
Old Today, 08:02 AM
Salisbury, UK
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm just taking my very first and very tentative steps in to FPV (I'm not new to rc flying) and have opted to use the Cyclopse Storm OSD and FatShark Attitude V2 goggles. It's all being fitted to a Bixler 2.

I'm slowly getting my head around how everything connects up (I've never been an electronics genius), how the OSD will power the camera and VTX etc.

The question I have is about the 'Mode' slot on the back end of the OSD unit. Is this an optional connection to toggle between the 3 modes, or or is essential? (go easy!). If it isn't connected, does the OSD/plane just operate in manual mode by default?

I'm only asking because I already have a couple of RX slots reserved for the head tracking, so I need to know whether to get a higher channel RX for this setup.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Pete
rc_pete is online now Find More Posts by rc_pete
Old Today, 08:38 AM
FPV addict
The Netherlands, NH, Hoofddorp
Joined Jan 2010
361 Posts
I don't think it is needer to connect. The storm will work, only yoy can't toggle between OSD layouts during flight.

You are able to select an overlay by using de control board before flying.
Pebbles is online now Find More Posts by Pebbles
Old Today, 08:38 AM
Silly n00b
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2011
771 Posts
You can control the 'display mode' from the keypad. I have mine mounted on the outside of my planes so I get to it easily. I never change modes anyway (even though I can control mine from channel 5). I leave it in fighter mode.
TuMadre is online now Find More Posts by TuMadre
Old Today, 08:41 AM
Salisbury, UK
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Thanks guys, but I mean the flight mode connection, not the display mode (second slot from the bottom)
rc_pete is online now Find More Posts by rc_pete
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Silly n00b
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2011
771 Posts
That controls PA and RTH. Essential in my opinion.
TuMadre is online now Find More Posts by TuMadre
Old Today, 08:54 AM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
336 Posts
Agreed.. Mode (PA and RTH) are required., else there is no reason to install the unit.. The display mode is optional and mentioned before is left in the Fighter mode overlay
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain