SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2014, 12:36 PM
Sonoma
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
Help!
Doing Night Flight with Phantom, Neighbor confronts me

What is legal over private property. I took off on a side road off the main road in the outskirts of my town. I have flown there for a month on or 2 time a week, between 9 and 10:30 at night. People that drive by stop and say that is so cool, Intel last night when i was flying at 200' in a square pattern , hovering ect. I heard some kids across the creek in there backyard saying what is that, cool ect.. While on the second battery I heard something in the bushes, so I thought. When I landed and walked over to my car for a another battery I heard the kids say there he is, that's who flying it.. Then during my second flight I heard some noise again and guess what, they where throwing rocks at my location , when one just missed me. I yelled to stop throwing rocks. I heard them laughing, with some remarks that I could not hear. Now I am
Now I said STOP THE FN ROCK THROWING, 3 to 4 times. A little later a man drove over and said I have 2 young kids over there and stop the bad
I told him that they sounded older like late teens to early 20's. and tell them to stop throwing rocks over here. He said why am i flying here over the vineyards and the creek, that is there property. I said this is a public road and I am not flying over your house so i can fly here. After arguing for a few mins...... as i was still flying he walked up behind me and threaten me to a fight, I told him to leave and stop harassing me and threatening me. Basically his last words where that would be a expensive lost if i did something, I took that as when I land he would damage it or when he when home , he was going to shoot it down...
FutureVRPilot is offline Find More Posts by FutureVRPilot
Last edited by FutureVRPilot; Jul 06, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2014
170 Posts
While I don't think its illegal to fly over some's property (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if someone asked me not to then I would stop.
DCIV is offline Find More Posts by DCIV
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:19 PM
Godless Heathen
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jan 2014
95 Posts
Case law shows Federal Courts have upheld the legality of overflying curtelige (property adjacent to residence) at altitudes below 400' with manned helicopters.

Still, if I was flying directly over someone's property who objected to my doing so, I'd stop. Why incur ill will when it is easy enough to fly elsewhere? This incident probably just created another "anti-drone" voter or two, at least.

You may be legally in the right, but is it worth a potentially violent confrontation?

JMHO,
fartnokker is offline Find More Posts by fartnokker
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:32 PM
Sonoma
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
Monday I will talk to my local police Dept. about what happened and see what they recommend. It is one thing to ask about flying there , its another thing to threaten me.........................
FutureVRPilot is offline Find More Posts by FutureVRPilot