HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Smoke Systems

What are some good smoke systems out there ? I want to install one on my plane so bad .
I'm thinking about the Sullivan sky writer , are they any good ?
I've also read it's manual and it requires a specific muffler for it ?
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:44 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
1,009 Posts
A good smoke system requires a special muffler or home grown model to preheat the oil before injection to produce a good cloud.

Smoke mufflers have that preheater internally, but you can fab your own by wrapping copper or brass tubing around the muffler, insulating the wrap and then tapping for a feed into the exhaust. You should be able to find some info online, but if having difficulty shoot me a PM with your Email and I can boot off some in a .pdf format.

Never bothered with Sullivan. Nice housing, but internally not much beyond a motor and pump, something not that difficult to fab yourself.

p.s. Providing more info on motor and AC may point to some specifics.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2009
92 Posts
I have a sulivan skywriter and love it. I tried the windshield washer pump and never quite got good results. Other people have had good results with that type of pump but not me... I have also tapped the back of my engine for pressure and that one actually worked out pretty good. You will have to built a rig to support the on/off switch and the servo. But it does work pretty good.

There are a few good things about the skywriter. The best part is you plug in your battery, plug the pump into your RX, plug in your in your smoke tank and that is it. Plug and play is good Another good feature is being able to adjust the flow of your smoke fluid via your TX. While I am flying if I think I can get thicker smoke I can just increase the flow with a simple radio adujusment. I did not want to send the $$ but when I switched the pump from one plane to another I was glad I did
Low Hover is offline Find More Posts by Low Hover