HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
anyone build the Foamooney yet??

I have been too strapped to begin a real production run of the Foamanza, but will soon. Been fighting some health problems again. hoping to improve but it is slow going. I have designed another in the meantime since doing that is nearly free. Soon I will post pics of the Foamhawk 172... was the most difficult design yet due to the high wing and cut out wndows. This is a practice run prior to the Skymaster/foamaster.
Reehoe is offline Find More Posts by Reehoe
Last edited by Reehoe; Mar 02, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
Some pics.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:09 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
The Cessna is looking great!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:21 AM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
859 Posts
Yes, very nice Cessna!
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
Thanks guys. I managed to make more progress with this model in getting the CG where I want it for these short-nosed GA planes... almost too much actually. I extended the nose of the 172 Foamhawk 1/2" just like the Foamanza, and it is actually nose heavy right now, but that may change when I paint it. I may take the 1/2" back out for a better appearance if I can. At any rate, it will work out better than the Foamanza cg did (at least on the proto). I also came up with a new gig for the servo setup which sets both servos inverted in the fuselage and at the same depth. This makes the linkages easier to service and simpler all around.

Another idea I want to play with is having the flaps down slightly, either permanently or with a ground-adjustable setup. These 172s have big flap area and if I set them down say 5 to 10 degrees I am betting I will get significantly better slow-speed performance without too much of a drag penalty, as well as a bit of a washout factor to boot. I may set it up adjustable just on the proto to find the sweet spots and then set up the parts later for 2 or 3 preset positions that would be ground adjustable. If it works out I might try it on my other designs, too. Good for those no wind days.

OR you could just forget the rudder and just put in a flap servo with torque tubes to keep the weight about the same. Hmmm...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
It has been a while... man how health can throw a wrench in the works. Healthy as a horse until 40 then BOOM. Problems hit. I hope to have these designs going soon. Love designing airplanes! The Foamhawk is nearing testing... hope she flies like the Foamanza. Anyone have a build of the Mooney?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:58 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
704 Posts
I must confess, I have not built your Mooney. Some other projects took priority and now we are in the process of moving to Southern Thailand.

I know about health problems, hope you get over your's quickly.

Best Regards,
Marty
mbpetri is offline Find More Posts by mbpetri
Last edited by mbpetri; Sep 19, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:08 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Glad to see you're still around. You've been on my mind lately concerning health.

Keep first things first,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:40 PM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
859 Posts
Glad to hear you're feeling better! I had forgotten about your lovely Mooney.
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch