davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
OK, now I can sleep....a little putty and sealer and it should become acceptable.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:27 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
I got the servo tray and battery box made up today. I "had" to redo the front of the hump. I just was not happy the way it was. Next, maybe the rudder and cabane struts...

Photos are a little fuzzy today....hmmm.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I am such a slacker I have decided. Everytime I look at this build I feel ashamed at my own ability!
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
I am such a slacker I have decided. Everytime I look at this build I feel ashamed at my own ability!

Don't feel bad as I am starting to get burned out myself.

Decided to work on the center struts today. They about beat me down. I was going to do bolt on but could not devise a decent strut so I decide to go with the plans method of piano wire which meant I had to remove the battery tray to install the front wire. whew... Now I will have to redo that.
A question for you biplane aficionados out there, the plan calls for +4 degrees incidence on the top wing. In my opinion that's a little too much. I'm thinking only need +2 to +3 degrees ?....
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
I tend to agree
I have a sopwith dove at 1/6 scale and I only have pos 1deg incidence. Lower and tail plane is set at 0
Airfoil section looks very similar to yours.
Shame I didn't compete in this build bash as I'm also burned out from building a 2 meter hp 42 ! I am however watching with keen interest on the side. Good luck to all
Alf
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:58 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Not much to post today. Just set incidence and permanently attached struts. Started thinking of what to do with the big hole around the motor.....I could order a Clerget from the UK..http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/h...6-p-34045.html. They seem to be the only distributor that still carries this discontinued replica.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Tinkered with another one of my hair brain ideas again and me thinks me like it.....Found some 6" aluminum tape we use to patch holes in the roofs of trucks and trailers. Has some REALLY good adhesive on and is fairly pliable. With a little patients I managed to over come the hardest part...the compound curves of the cowl. I had been running a series of painting test on balsa down in my building all week. I just could not come up with something that looked like aluminum. I had came to the realization I was just going to have to use some kind standard silver covering until now.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I am waiting for a new camera to be delivered as we speak. Coming from CA via slow boat I guess.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
That looks great! I am sure with this type of fuselage, the weight of the tape is actually a blessing up front as it is as well.

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:40 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad907 View Post
That looks great! I am sure with this type of fuselage, the weight of the tape is actually a blessing up front as it is as well.

Conrad
It's my objective at this point trying to add as much in details to the nose rather than hidden lead weights. The CG is very much at the nose.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:06 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
I know this may sound a rather naff suggestion, but a printed copy of a Clerget engine located in the cowl is difficult to tell from a plastic version once it's in the air. I know that's not the point, but still...

It has just struck me that of course the only place to admire a model rotary engine IS on the ground, as in the air it will be whizzing round! Doh!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
I know this may sound a rather naff suggestion, but a printed copy of a Clerget engine located in the cowl is difficult to tell from a plastic version once it's in the air. I know that's not the point, but still...

It has just struck me that of course the only place to admire a model rotary engine IS on the ground, as in the air it will be whizzing round! Doh!
Its all going to boil down to cg once I get it all together I guess. If i need more weight up front I will go realistic, if not I'll hit print and glue to thin sheet. That pic looks like a LaRone....
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
Its all going to boil down to cg once I get it all together I guess. If i need more weight up front I will go realistic, if not I'll hit print and glue to thin sheet. That pic looks like a LaRone....
Yes, the Pup had a le Rhone. I have a few Bentley pictures but none taken straight on.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,061 Posts
I wonder whether it was possible to balance those rotary engines? Did they shake and thrash about?
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
I wonder whether it was possible to balance those rotary engines? Did they shake and thrash about?
I don't know. The ones I've seen flying at Old Warden seemed to be working perfectly, and they are supported on just the one overhung bearing aren't they? If there was imbalance, as you say, they'd just fall apart