HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Why not 10s ?

I don't understand the fixation on 6s ? Everyone seems to agree that more voltage with lower currents are better for ESC, cable, motor...
  • The weight of the battery will probably be the same or less. You don't need batteries with high Ah values or put them in parallel. OK - you put them in series.
  • Charging shouldn't be a problem for anyone buying such a plane
  • It is much easier to get more power from a power system if you start with lower currents and a bit of an oversized ESC. If you have 90A (2000W on 6s) you need quite an ESC or push it to its limits.
  • BEC if needed can be used with either battery
  • Connectors are less problematic
For the medium to larger helis everyone uses 10s-14s.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
No fixation really, just cheaper, more flying with less packs, certainly cheaper per flight, etc. 6S is MORE than enough for this plane on the factory setup, if you have 6S packs, it makes more sense, as in my case. Bottom line, set it up as you like but this one is perfect on the specified setup, PER-FECT!

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
having 5 or 6 x6S battery packs and a 120AHV ESC is more cost effective than having a 5or 6 x 6S packs and a 100A ESC.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
If anyone is interested in 7S packs for this one, HK has some 7S 5000's and 4500's in the Compact series.
ben_beyer is online now Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
Is this a pattern plan that could be flown in the Intermediate class for pattern or is it really only for Sportsman?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:10 AM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Is this a pattern plan that could be flown in the Intermediate class for pattern or is it really only for Sportsman?
Arch stafford has flown it multiple times and compares it favorably to the monolog and vanquish which he's also flown a lot. Nobody's going to be able use how the plane flies as an excuse for anything except at the highest levels is basically how he put it. Keep in mind though he was flying on a 8s setup so his impression is based on the additional prop that setup can handle.

Post 313 is all u need to read. Capable of all the sequences is what he said.
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
Ooppps, missed that.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
572 Posts
I have flown the p-13 sequence many times over the past week with this airplane and it performs really well. I'm starting to practice the f-13 some and will report back how it fairs with the more demanding sequence.
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
excellent. Awaiting your feedback. I've decided to go 8cell.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
Another ringing endorsement and with an alternative power setup

Here's a report of good UK pattern forum located at http://www.highalpha.org/forum/viewt...12500&start=30

Re: Mythos 125E - F3A

by b1rdcontrol on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I am not used to writing build threads or reviews but here go'es. Hope it helps any questions please post a reply.

Sebart Mythos 125e Build

I collected my Mythos from Dumfries Model Flying and was amazed when we unpacked her; she is only 2 inches shorter than a full 2metre ship. I check all the components and everything looked in first class condition just ten minutes with the iron and the few wrinkles in the covering were away, There are a few nice touches, The canalizer is a slid in fit and can only be removed when the canopy is off, The cowl is again a slot fit then just two screws to hold in place I dry fitted everything first with no problems anywhere. First job was to fit the Elevators, Rudder and arelons all these surfaces are fitted using robart style hinges these were very straight forward to fit just make sure the pivot points are central on the joints. Next job was to fit the servos and control linkages, again nice and straight forward, I opted for a pull pull rudder system. The next stage was to decide on a power set up, Looking at the size and weight of the plane and the type of flying I wanted to do the recommended power set did not make sense, So it was back to Dumfries Model Flying for some advice, After a few cups of coffee and checking on what would fit with out to much trouble I decided on the hacker Q60 being a rear mount motor and not to heavy it seemed the perfect choice, The star mount is not as wide as the recommended A60 5XS so I drew a line through the mounting holes and then moved them towards the centre by 3mm and refitted the captive nuts, I then made a light ply 6.5mm spacer to mount between the star mount and the firewall, With everything all bolted up and the cowl in place this gave me a nice 2mm spinner gap, the speed controller is mounted beneath the motor box where there is plenty of airflow. Next up was the under carriage again this was a very straight forward job, in the past they have recommended that the lift generators are fitted using medium syno but in this case they recommend using silicone I suspect this is because the under carriage legs are not flat but itís so much easier with the silicone, the last job was the wing fences. All in all a typical Sebart kit to build Take your time; follow the instructions and itís very straight forward.

My Set Up
Sebart Mythos 125e. Hacker Q60, Jetti 99 Master Spin, 2 x JR3401 Elevators
2 x JR 8401 Ailerons 1 x JR8401 Rudder Hacker Top Fuel 10s 4500ma. XOAR 20 X 13prop

First flight, Take off trim elevator Ailerons and rudder, very impressive vertical performance does not pull off at all, Beautiful slow rolls, Landing very stable at low speed, I have reduced the travel on the elevator and Ailerons and increased the expo the only adjustments made are a personal preference on how I like the model to feel.
Second flight, Take off. Plane tracks well on the runway a pulls away nicely into a nice steady climb no other trim adjustments made, varicose manoeuvres carried out Stall turns humpty bumps, inverted flight loops rolls and knife edge again vertical flight impresses, plane is very smooth and precise with lots of power when needed, Again landing is a doddle.
Third Flight.
Full P13 Flown by Bill White, Bill found it difficult to fault the handling and flight characteristics. He was very impressed with the vertical performance and how smooth and precise it was to fly. He was also very impressed with the progressive and smooth throttle response from the Q60 motor.
To Sum up. 2 very experienced pilots have flown her and are very impressed there is no doubt that in the right hands this plane is more than capable of competing at the highest level and at a fraction of the cost. Donít cut corners on your set up sheís well worth spending a few extra pounds on. Sebart have done it again another amazing plane.
Colin
Many Thanks to Dumfries Model Flying for all there help and advice.
b1rdcontrolRookie
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
I am going to try and stress this one more time. Sebart KNOWS what he's doing here, this plane fly's GREAT on 6S and the recommended Hacker A60-5XS. This weekend at WattFest in Tampa, we were flying giant knife edge loops, hovering and pulling out, rolling harriers and loops all day, there is NO SHORTAGE OF POWER on the recommended setup. I, like most, figure most "factory" setups are weak and need "tweaking" but in this case, as with most of his other planes, Seba knows what he's doing!

Obviouly everyone can do what they like here but when I read things about folks not thinking the factory setup will be adequate (but never actually trying it), I feel obligated to at least set the recod straight as I purposely built it per spec for that very reason. In the end, it's your money and decision but there is plenty of video of this plane on 6S with the recommended Hacker A60-5XS motor to show in no uncertain terms, that the factory setup is certainly more than adequate and in-fact, a sweet, light yet powerful setup...

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
well I guess I can fly a Fusion 50 on 6S as well...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
well I guess I can fly a Fusion 50 on 6S as well...
Instead of adding to the confusion, why not either build one and show it doesn't fly well on 6S or at least post actual concerns? I am not trying to tell folks how to build their own plane BUT I am defending the factory setup as powerful and very capable. I would think most folks would appreciate actual data versus speculation and best guesses...

Jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
30 Posts
Jack, IMO power on 6S is not the issue.
The Mythos (and also the Fusion 50 for that matter) will fly well on 6S BUT duration is the issue (lack off).
My Mythos arrives today & it's going to be 8S (A60-5S) & funny enough I also have a Fusion 50 on 8S too !

Steve
SAB is offline Find More Posts by SAB
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
131 Posts
For me, the reason to go with a higher cell count battery would be to go a little easier on the ESC instead of pushing it to it's limits on every up line. A 6 cell set up will pull around 100 amps for 2200 watts (I don't remember what everyone is measuring for amp draw) but going to a 7 cell would decrease that to 85 amps. This would also allow me to use an ICE 100 instead of a ICE 120 HV. Just my 2 cents, but to me that is a preferable set up and I can stick with a Hacker motor with just a different Kv than the recommended one.

Now, if lets say I got a Motrofly, then I could do 8S. This might also give you some extra power for uplines on windy days. But once again, while there is nothing wrong with the stock set up, it all comes down to what you want to do.