SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Discussion
Night flying with Aurora RC leds.

3 videos of the 3 different LED sets from Aurora RC. Hope you enjoy the videos.

3DHS 40-Edge EPP Aurora Lights pilot Joe Smith (4 min 43 sec)

3D Hobby Shop 71 AJ Slick-Aurora LEDs pilot joe Smith (6 min 13 sec)

3DHS 104 AJ slick-Aurora RC LED pilot Joe Smith (6 min 28 sec)

kits were purchased from
http://www.aurorarc.com/home
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
How do you calculate the scale of an airplane? Their website doesn't seem to offer much in the way of figuring out which system to get for a particular plane.

E.g., for a 48" balsa, a 51" balsa, and a 60" balsa.

Great videos by the way.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
How do you calculate the scale of an airplane? Their website doesn't seem to offer much in the way of figuring out which system to get for a particular plane.

E.g., for a 48" balsa, a 51" balsa, and a 60" balsa.

Great videos by the way.
They have 3 sets.
We have run the smallest set on planes up to 48".
The 71 slick video is the middle set.
104 slick is the large set
Old May 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I had the opportunity to see yall's late night antics at SEFF this year, Joe was amazing as always!

I am curious though, does Joe (or other pilots flying Aurora) ever complain about the glare from the LEDs on the far side of the plane. There were times when I was watching the plane go through different orientations, like during rollers, and I wondered if it gets irritating to have the glare from the LEDs. The glare is noticeable in the videos, but It was even brighter in person. These are some serious heavy duty bright lights!

I have been considering Aurora for my 70" EF Extra, but I have a hard enough time focusing at night, I was not sure those would be good for me...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old May 22, 2012, 07:40 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Night Flying over the pond at Joe Nall

Amazing night flight over the pond at Joe Nall pilot Joe Smith (7 min 20 sec)
Old May 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I had the opportunity to see yall's late night antics at SEFF this year, Joe was amazing as always!

I am curious though, does Joe (or other pilots flying Aurora) ever complain about the glare from the LEDs on the far side of the plane. There were times when I was watching the plane go through different orientations, like during rollers, and I wondered if it gets irritating to have the glare from the LEDs. The glare is noticeable in the videos, but It was even brighter in person. These are some serious heavy duty bright lights!

I have been considering Aurora for my 70" EF Extra, but I have a hard enough time focusing at night, I was not sure those would be good for me...
The lights light up the plane so focus on the plane and not the lights is best. People watching the night flights seem to be attracted to the lights. But if your flying then watch the plane. The lights are bright, brings a whole new level of flying at night to the masses.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
It certainly is remarkable to watch
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,415 Posts
Ordered a set of their Genesis lights for my Hacker SuperZoom 2 EPP 3D foamy.
With the Motorfly motor and GWS slow fly prop, it is very quiet, so nightflights at the local soccer field down the road from my house should not pose any problems.

I have 4 2S 470mAH LiPo packs from a Dynamic Foamy XB-70 pusher prop, so I am probably going to use them for the lights; otherwise I would probably have to go with a larger flight pack. Still undecided which is the best way to go in the long term.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Separate battery for the lights is preferred.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Ordered a set of their Genesis lights for my Hacker SuperZoom 2 EPP 3D foamy.
With the Motorfly motor and GWS slow fly prop, it is very quiet, so nightflights at the local soccer field down the road from my house should not pose any problems.

I have 4 2S 470mAH LiPo packs from a Dynamic Foamy XB-70 pusher prop, so I am probably going to use them for the lights; otherwise I would probably have to go with a larger flight pack. Still undecided which is the best way to go in the long term.
The Aurora setup may draw more amps, but I'm running the DW Foamies night light setup on my 38" EPP Slick off the main 3S 1000mah flight pack. I just set the flight timer 20 or 30 seconds shorter when I'm using the lights and it works fine. A micro Deans plug is wired off the male plug on the ESC so I can unplug the lights for daytime flying.

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,415 Posts
I guess the best thing to do is just take some current measurements of the lights running on the bench with my wattmeter.

Adding the 2S 470 pack shouldn't be a problem from extra weight; the lights are supposed to be 1oz.

I am currently running a 1000mAH 3S for the flight pack, which yields about 5 minutes, losing 30 seconds of flight time would be OK.

They just looked incredibly cool in the videos and I needed a stocking stuffer gift for myself. $49 for the Genesis lights seemed reasonable.
Interestingly enough, I was required to pay $3.12 in IL sales tax, as AuroraRC is required to collect tax even for out of state purchases.
The same day I read that Massachusetts will start collecting sales tax for all Amazon purchases starting in November 2013. Sign of the times ....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777 View Post
The Aurora setup may draw more amps, but I'm running the DW Foamies night light setup on my 38" EPP Slick off the main 3S 1000mah flight pack. I just set the flight timer 20 or 30 seconds shorter when I'm using the lights and it works fine. A micro Deans plug is wired off the male plug on the ESC so I can unplug the lights for daytime flying.

-Dustin
I looked at the DW Foamies lighting kit, but it just seemed as though (based on photos and videos) that the AuroraRC kit did a better job of lighting the airplane.

I guess I will find out soon ... assuming no snow after they arrive
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,415 Posts
AuroraRC Genesis lights arrived today.
Interesting use of arrow nocks to hold the wingtip light assemblies; the tail assembly doesn't come with one, I will likely use low temp hot melt glue.

Will try and make some wattmeter readings this weekend.
Unfortunately, forecast is rain/snow for next 5 days, so first night flight will have to wait.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
AuroraRC Genesis lights arrived today.
Interesting use of arrow nocks to hold the wingtip light assemblies; the tail assembly doesn't come with one, I will likely use low temp hot melt glue.

Will try and make some wattmeter readings this weekend.
Unfortunately, forecast is rain/snow for next 5 days, so first night flight will have to wait.
We use little wire clamps instead of the arrow nocks.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,415 Posts
What type of wire clamps?
Could you provide a picture or link?
Something like this?
http://www.electricalbasics.com/acat...mps_Small.html
Last edited by ltc; Dec 16, 2012 at 06:38 AM.