HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:12 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
266 Posts
(Quote -As it wont work with the latest firmware I dont know how many people can try it out unless they roll back to an earlier version. Pity because I was looking forward to trying it out. Maybe an update coming soon? Quote )

While the video shows version 0.49, I think you'll find the actual program works with vers. 0.67.
Look at the first picture
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Last edited by pghern; Feb 04, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:41 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleburn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant has landed.

Yes, aMCA is now the official designation.

That leaves the door opened for iMCA, uMCA, wMCA, etc.
Whether or not these materialize will depend on the amount of support I will be getting from the #16 User community.
So time will tell.

A fully functional demo aMCA is now available for download.

Its great that you have spent the time to do this. Great idea.
As it wont work with the latest firmware I dont know how many people can try it out unless they roll back to an earlier version. Pity because I was looking forward to trying it out. Maybe an update coming soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
While the video shows version 0.49, I think you'll find the actual program works with vers. 0.67.
The demo is intentionally limited to v0.49, the full version (when it is released) will work with the latest firmware.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
137 Posts
Thanks, therau 2000, I will try this application of course.
stevohaker is offline Find More Posts by stevohaker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:54 AM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleburn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
aMCA - Android Mobile Configuration Assistant has landed.

Yes, aMCA is now the official designation.

That leaves the door opened for iMCA, uMCA, wMCA, etc.
Whether or not these materialize will depend on the amount of support I will be getting from the #16 User community.
So time will tell.

A fully functional demo aMCA is now available for download.

Its great that you have spent the time to do this. Great idea.
As it wont work with the latest firmware I dont know how many people can try it out unless they roll back to an earlier version. Pity because I was looking forward to trying it out. Maybe an update coming soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
(Quote -As it wont work with the latest firmware I dont know how many people can try it out unless they roll back to an earlier version. Pity because I was looking forward to trying it out. Maybe an update coming soon? Quote )

The demo program is intentionally limited to v0.49, the full version (when it is released) will work with the latest firmware.
airmob is absolutely correct; the free demo program is the final release program with only one limitation: firmware v0.49 only (which you can download).

Everybody can then try it out, without any risk, and confirm that aMCA runs on non-rooted Android devices without any permission (except run-time permission to access USB as shown on videos). Exact requirements and manual installation instructions are also available.

The final program (supporting all released firmware versions) should be available this week; but as of today I have not yet decided if it will be a free or paid program... hence the free demo program.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: correct typos
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:01 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeroy View Post
just got one of these cams and have 4xAA box so i want to do what i saw here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2161

is the voltage a problem with this setup as 4 charged nimh is about 5.6v?
The link is to the external battery pack I made for the older #11 camera. I have only used this power pack with the #16 on a few occasions. I have connected it directly to the #11 camera to power it with no adverse results that I could see. But the voltage exceeds the specs for a standard USB port (5v +/- 5%) as you suggested, and my use of that power supply is very limited. So while I had no problems, it could be stressing the circuitry and lead to problems later.

I subsequently made a new extension cable to power the camera that is both longer and incorporates a diode (on the downstream side of the pack plug) to drop the delivered voltage to the camera by about .7V. I have not tested to see how much recording time I lose with this arrangement since the pack lasts long enough for my purposes. I still use the other extension cable for charging the batteries while still in the pack since the diode would prevent charging.

If I were doing another pack, I would consider using one of these nifty small USB power supply components in the extension cable to the camera instead of a diode. This would not only clamp the delivered battery voltage at 5V from a freshly charged pack, but might also give even longer recording time than the batteries normally would on their own by maintaining the 5V power supply to the camera as the battery voltage drops below that point. The only potential problem I can see with this added component is it might continue to power the camera while discharging the cells below their healthy discharge voltage (about .9V/cell) and cause the cells to fail sooner than normal.

<EDIT> I have added these comments to the linked post since this high voltage issue has come up a few times before. </EDIT>
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:29 AM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Hi everybody,

I don't know why (perhaps due to a passage to x-ray?) , but my camera now mix all modes ...

She is still recording when i turn on picture mode, some times, after 5sec its blick and shut down, or always recording video when i push button... removes the date however checked in firware settings....

I don't know what's going on... Is there a tool to format the firmware? (Not erase one by another one) :/

Alex.

alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_007 View Post
Hi everybody,

I don't know why (perhaps due to a passage to x-ray?) , but my camera now mix all modes ...

She is still recording when i turn on picture mode, some times, after 5sec its blick and shut down, or always recording video when i push button... removes the date however checked in firware settings....

I don't know what's going on... Is there a tool to format the firmware? (Not erase one by another one) :/

Alex.

I can't tell much from your description what is happening, but there are the GUI programs to configure the hardware (see post #1 for links to them). But I'd start with re-installing a known good copy of the v0.67 FW if I were you. Post #1 also has links to that for download.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:08 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Hello Tom Frank.

Well after re-install 2/3 times the .67 firware and reset 2/3 times too, it seems to work properly now. Outchh....saved! =)
I love this cam! Thank to all of the developers, you included
Maybe one more better version forthcoming? =P THE 808#3000!! Gopro like abilities, same price =)

Cheers.
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Really looking forward to trying out the aMCA. I'd have been on it by now but the first OTG lead I got was faulty and I'm still waiting for the replacement. I spent ages messing around thinking I must have been doing something wrong. At the time I was just trying to connect a pen drive to have a go at browsing files and see what video formats would play on my phone. Using therau2000's connection diagram of the OTG lead and a multi meter I found it wasn't wired correctly. I'm sure this will be a real handy tool to have.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:58 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Really looking forward to trying out the aMCA. I'd have been on it by now but the first OTG lead I got was faulty and I'm still waiting for the replacement. I spent ages messing around thinking I must have been doing something wrong. At the time I was just trying to connect a pen drive to have a go at browsing files and see what video formats would play on my phone. Using therau2000's connection diagram of the OTG lead and a multi meter I found it wasn't wired correctly. I'm sure this will be a real handy tool to have.
FYI I just added all the Tips I could think of based on my use of aMCA with my Android test tablet.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
OK, but the discussion is getting off-topic since Android (or other OS) phones are not the focus here. Let's keep the discussion focused on the camera, please.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Well it seems the ca on the lens didn't cause any issues.. The Haziness after that was just a dirty lens..
http://youtu.be/oaNXgTBeCB0

Was the haziness a milky white? Mine was milky white like a filter layer. Things were still in focus. Unfortunately the lens module is gone for me to try and do some more cleaning. I put a new lens module on and it works great but in hindsight I wish I could see if some more cleaning of the lens would have helped. My two cents to this thread.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:50 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
has anyone else experienced this? tiny dark spot showing up in the video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9455

I cleaned the outside thoroughly with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner, which didn't help.

I flicked the lens a couple times and the black spot moved further down in the video. flicked the lens a couple more times and the black spot disappeared.

I'm glad it's gone (for now), but that's still a little disappointing. camera's about a week old and this happened today.
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
has anyone else experienced this? tiny dark spot showing up in the video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9455

I cleaned the outside thoroughly with a microfiber cloth and lens cleaner, which didn't help.

I flicked the lens a couple times and the black spot moved further down in the video. flicked the lens a couple more times and the black spot disappeared.

I'm glad it's gone (for now), but that's still a little disappointing. camera's about a week old and this happened today.
Similar issues have been reported a few times and the most likely cause is a speck of dust inside the module between the CMOS array and the lens. I doubt if the dust is actually between the different lens elements.
You will need to remove the lens from the barrel and then use a camera dust-blower, the type with a large bulb, to remove the speck of dust. If you use compressed air be very careful. You want to keep the pressure as low as possible, i.e. keep the air stream at a distance from the camera. Also, using compressed air can cause condensation which could become trapped in the module on reassembly.

Your most difficult task will be to remove the glue holding the lens in position. You will need a needle and a lot of patience to slowly pick off the glue. Whatever you do, do not use any tools. Resist the temptation or chances are you will damage the lens. If you look back, maybe a week or two, someone else had a similar problem.

Since your camera is new, your other possibility is to send the lens or camera back for replacement.

If you don't do anything, chances are great that the speck of dust will come back - sooner or later.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Feb 2012
26 Posts
Removing dust from CMOS

How about trying a solder remover. Normally used to remove solder when cleaning or removing a component. They come in different types: bulbs you squeeze and some that are spring loaded, where you push a release button and it sucks the solder(read dust in this case) from the intended spot. Obviously care must be taken when fooling s around with the CMOS and lenses, but it might work well and no moisture deposited.
Just a thought.
Jerry
Jerry42 is online now Find More Posts by Jerry42