SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Build Log
Yak-40

Hello

My name is Terje and im from Norway

After alot of thinking i've decided to do my first airliner build.
This will not only be my first airliner build, but my first depron/foam build too, so ill need some tips n' tricks from you guys

The airplane im going to build is the Як-40 (in either the classic Аэрофлот livery or in the Slovakian livery )

I will wait with choosing the edf for the model.

And heres a threeview for ya

I want it as light as possible, so im thinking that the structure will be 6mm and the covering will be 2mm.

I will need some help from you guys on the choice of electronics, but i was thinking:

Edf info at later

I don't know what servoes to use, any suggestions would be highly appreciated

for reciever i think im going to use a FrSky Delta 8 (Hitec transmitter)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ompatible.html

And for you guys that like Russian Aviation, heres some info about the aircraft

The yak-40 NATO "Codling" was the first regional jet. It was a small airplane that featured 3 engines mounted in the tail. It could carry 24-33 passengers, and was meant for small airsrips, and had strong landing gears (Soviet specialty...) for bumpy runways (Dirt and grass anyone? ;P) The 3 AI-25 engines (producing 14.7Kn each) made the aircraft able to operate on short fields. The aircraft requiered minimal ground crew. Featuring an airstair and an auxiliary power unit for starting it's engines.
The aircraft itself had a straight wing and a large fin that is swept back 50 degrees, therefor moving the tailplane backwards to compensate to the short rear fuselage. The tailplane itself is straight
Edit: First flight was 21 October 1966, production started 1967, started in service with Аэрофлот 30th September 1968
specifications
Crew: 2
Passengers: 24-33
Engines: 3X AI-25 12.7Kn each
Weight: Takeoff: 12400 kg/27337 lb
Empty: 8500 kg/18739 lb
Wingspan: 25.0m/82 ft 0 in
Length: 20.2m/66 ft 3 in
Height: 6.8m/21 ft 4 in
Wing Area: 70.0m2/753.47 sq ft

Cruise speed: 550 km/h/342 mph
Range w/max.fuel: 1600 km/994 miles
Range w/max.payload: 600 km/373 miles

Any help is highly appreciated

some specifications on the model:

Wingspan: 1000mm
Length: 808mm
Fuselage Width: 93.5mm
Total Height (from ground to the highest point of model): 264mm
Fuselage/Cabin Height: 93,5mm
Farlander is offline Find More Posts by Farlander
Last edited by Farlander; May 05, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:01 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Terje Welcome to the wonderful world of RC scratch building!

just scroll through all these great builds by all the great builders here on RCG and you'll pick up TONS of great ideas and tips!

P.S.. . I'm 50% Norwegian.. . . . Hence my craving of Viking food!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Terje Welcome to the wonderful world of RC scratch building!

just scroll through all these great builds by all the great builders here on RCG and you'll pick up TONS of great ideas and tips!

P.S.. . I'm 50% Norwegian.. . . . Hence my craving of Viking food!
yup, always wanted to build an airliner, but i only have grass fields but i figured i could give a small one a try on our roads (terrible roads btw... bumpy as hell... an also.. your tutorials on youtube has been to great usefulness)

Viking food is of best food
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:09 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Terje. . . . I may or may not be building the Yak-40. . . . It's possible. . .But who knows?

I'm a man of mystery!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Terje. . . . I may or may not be building the Yak-40. . . . It's possible. . .But who knows?

I'm a man of mystery!
the part i have not figured out how i should do yet is the tail, especially the engine inthat goes inside of the airplane (will not be used i think) just for aesthetics (is that what its called? sry for my Norwenglish..)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:23 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
the part i have not figured out how i should do yet is the tail, especially the engine inthat goes inside of the airplane (will not be used i think) just for aesthetics (is that what its called? sry for my Norwenglish..)
I understand your concerns brother!. . . . I may or may not just be using 2 50mm edf's leaving the center number 2 engine pipe hollow.

I might be maybee. . . But who knows??????
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
I understand your concerns brother!. . . . I may or may not just be using 2 50mm edf's leaving the center number 2 engine pipe hollow.

I might be maybee. . . But who knows??????
hmm thinking about it... wouldn't it be fun to have 3 engines :P "you can never have too many engines. if you dont have space for more, just stack them onto each other" - il-62, March 1962
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:32 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Quote:
hmm thinking about it... wouldn't it be fun to have 3 engines :P "you can never have too many engines. if you dont have space for more, just stack them onto each other" - il-62, March 1962
3 engines are very nice but sometimes aren't necessary. . . . On my two L-1011's it's necessary.

IL-62. . . . Russia's VC-10!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
3 engines are very nice but sometimes aren't necessary. . . . On my two L-1011's it's necessary.

IL-62. . . . Russia's VC-10!
yea :P but on to some serious business... where do you buy your foam? i have found some sites, but not too pleased withe the variety of thicknesses :/
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:52 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Quote:
yea :P but on to some serious business... where do you buy your foam? i have found some sites, but not too pleased withe the variety of thicknesses :/
I buy my foam from local hardware supply dealers here in Charleston S.C.

But there in Norway I would ask RCG members Chochmah or Ben_E. . They live in Norway and know where to buy foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:54 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
For example I just bought these sheets of 2 and 3 inch foam the other day. . . Both sheets together cost about $90 dollars U.S.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:20 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
For example I just bought these sheets of 2 and 3 inch foam the other day. . . Both sheets together cost about $90 dollars U.S.
ok, thanks. i found a pretty nice site today - http://depronfoam.com/depron-foam/sh...te=common/home

i think 2mm is thin enough to use as covering, don't ya think? and it's british quality too m8!

also, the method of using threeview that you showed in the "how to build an airliner in 2-3 hours" video is genious. im using that method, just that i take the with of the engine nacelle (going to use the hobbyking aeo 35mm), and get the plane length and stuff out from that. probably a much better way of doing it, but you dont learn from doing things the right way. you learn things by doing something the wrong way

EDIT: and the engine nacelle on this plane is pretty much completely round... well almost..
found another problem.... how to mount the AEO fans?? they don't have any mounting holes... could i glue it directly on to the nacelle? wouldn't be very practical but i don't see any other way
Last edited by Farlander; Mar 12, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,338 Posts
Quote:
ok, thanks. i found a pretty nice site today - http://depronfoam.com/depron-foam/sh...te=common/home

i think 2mm is thin enough to use as covering, don't ya think? and it's british quality too m8!

also, the method of using threeview that you showed in the "how to build an airliner in 2-3 hours" video is genious. im using that method, just that i take the with of the engine nacelle (going to use the hobbyking aeo 35mm), and get the plane length and stuff out from that. probably a much better way of doing it, but you dont learn from doing things the right way. you learn things by doing something the wrong way

EDIT: and the engine nacelle on this plane is pretty much completely round... well almost..
Sir is depron foam.com in the U.S.? . . . If so the shipping will be VERY expensive.

2mm depron sounds good. . . . And Thankyou for the compliments Sir.
you can only learn by doing & trial and error.

I make mistakes and screw up. . . but the key is to learn from your mistakes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Sir is depron foam.com in the U.S.? . . . If so the shipping will be VERY expensive.

2mm depron sounds good. . . . And Thankyou for the compliments Sir.
you can only learn by doing & trial and error.

I make mistakes and screw up. . . but the key is to learn from your mistakes.
i really tought Nottinghamshire was in england :P im i drunk or something? too much russian maybe

wait, what?? Nottinghamshire is in england! and it is in pounds, so it has to be from britain

EDIT (again) : might acually use 28mm fans instead...(http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLDF180M) the 35mm edf unit is acually 44.3 mm at the entry (the front mushrooms a bit (is that even a word??).
Last edited by Farlander; Mar 12, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:12 PM
Joined Sep 2013
45 Posts
Nevemind, change in plan. Thank you
Last edited by Farlander; Mar 12, 2014 at 07:07 PM.