HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:24 PM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Aug 2005
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELLA View Post
Carbon totally blocks radio, GPS etc.. signals !!!! and the antenna exit thur the carbon skin must insulated.
Is the covering on the antenna enough to insulate it, or do you need to add more insulation to protect that covering where it exits the plane? If you are going to tape the antenna on the outside of the plane, is the paint enough insulation or do you need to add something more between the antenna and the carbon where you are going to tape it to the fuselage? If so, what do you add or use in each case? Thanks as I was unaware of this problem.
amtpdb is online now Find More Posts by amtpdb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 01:19 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELLA View Post
Carbon totally blocks radio, GPS etc.. signals !!!! and the antenna exit thur the carbon skin must insulated.
The antennas exit the fuselage through plastic pushrod tubes. Tubes checked in microwave, not 2.4 blocking. In any case, all of the active portion and around 10mm of the coax is exposed.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:25 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
352 Posts
The exposed portion need to be 1" away from the carbon, tapeing the exposed portion to the outside of the carbon is not good for example.
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:21 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,539 Posts
My point was that I get warnings (including critical) when using X8Rs and not when using D series. Everything else including antenna construction and placement is the same.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:06 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Aug 2012
41 Posts
X4R-Sb using Sbus and Pwm outputs?

The question was raised earlier but in a similar format,

Is it possible like the X8R to bid in a different mode to allow channels 1-8 via sbus?
and use the other remaining pwm outputs (8 on the X8R, 3 on the X4R-SB)

I am trying to achieve on my disco pro; the sbus connection to NAZA and pan and tilt to the gimbal via the PWM signals.

Any ideas or can you point me in the right direction.

Appreciated in advance
Triggerslappin is offline Find More Posts by Triggerslappin
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerslappin View Post
The question was raised earlier but in a similar format,

Is it possible like the X8R to bid in a different mode to allow channels 1-8 via sbus?
and use the other remaining pwm outputs (8 on the X8R, 3 on the X4R-SB)

I am trying to achieve on my disco pro; the sbus connection to NAZA and pan and tilt to the gimbal via the PWM signals.

Any ideas or can you point me in the right direction.

Appreciated in advance
You can , but there is no need for the X4R. You can bind the X8R to Channels 8-16,
Bind with jumpers on the signal pins of channels 1 to2 and 3 to4 and transmitter set to D16 channels 1 to 16. This will allow you to use channels 1-8 via Sbus and channels 8-16 on the pins.
And you will have the full telemetry functionality.

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:14 PM
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Dec 2013
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly View Post
You can , but there is no need for the X4R. You can bind the X8R to Channels 8-16,
Bind with jumpers on the signal pins of channels 1 to2 and 3 to4 and transmitter set to D16 channels 1 to 16. This will allow you to use channels 1-8 via Sbus and channels 8-16 on the pins.
And you will have the full telemetry functionality.

Tom
That sounds Great! Is this confirmed? I need one more Channel (7 in use by Naza) plus I have retracts and video switch.
I have the X8R
Railrode1 is online now Find More Posts by Railrode1
Old Nov 28, 2014, 01:03 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railrode1 View Post
That sounds Great! Is this confirmed? I need one more Channel (7 in use by Naza) plus I have retracts and video switch.
I have the X8R
Confirmed in the "manual" that comes with the X8R.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 28, 2014, 03:21 PM
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
I have the X8R
Railrode1, I use the X8R in Mode 4 which gives me CH 1-8 on S-Bus and 9-16 on the Rx pins. I currently use CH 9 and CH10 to handle external, Rx controlled LEDS and stobes. I also use the Taranis.

Yes, it works!
jlipscomb is offline Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:14 AM
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Dec 2013
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
Railrode1, I use the X8R in Mode 4 which gives me CH 1-8 on S-Bus and 9-16 on the Rx pins. I currently use CH 9 and CH10 to handle external, Rx controlled LEDS and stobes. I also use the Taranis.

Yes, it works!
Cool! The manual isn't very clear to state that. So, telemetry is still there with the above configuration? If so, it would be perfect :-)
Railrode1 is online now Find More Posts by Railrode1
Old Nov 29, 2014, 06:39 AM
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Cool! The manual isn't very clear to state that. So, telemetry is still there with the above configuration? If so, it would be perfect :-)
Did you not RTFM? Looky here:
jlipscomb is offline Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Sep 2014
224 Posts
I have the X8R and am attempting to set up RSSI to my MinimOSD running MWOSD.

Two questions:
I set RSSI to display in my MWOSD GUI, set it to read PWM, but when sitting right next to my Taranis, the OSD reads a full signal bar but at 0 for some reason..... any ideas?

Also, with the OSD, there is a min and max signal strength setting, but I couldn't find anything in TFM on the actual signal stregths of the RSSI???

Thanks for any help
mrclean1972 is online now Find More Posts by mrclean1972
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,792 Posts
To set min and max (for various OSD's) I have the RX not far from the TX (2m or so) to get maximum signal. In the OSD you will usually then 'set' that 'Max' value it sees. eg when you set it the OSD then takes that value as 100%. Then for the Min you do the same BUT move the TX as far away as you need to - with Range Check Mode on - and get around 40dB on the TX RSSI. Then Set the min.
This means that 40dB is 0% on the OSD and pretty well if you do ever get to 40dB, or lower, that is going to be an RC Link fail.

Apart from that..... the X8R RSSI is so flakey that all OSD's I have used have it jumping around a lot. Converted to Analogue RSSI, with various 'delay' RC circuits... none can create a decent stable analogue value.
In some ways, RSSI will likely waver around in reality, but this 'jumping' seen is excessive and in the meantime the TX RSSI readout is stable as anything! So that X8R output is not 'right'.

As far as I can see none of the FRsky RXes have a truly decent RSSI output. Too responsive? Or just a bad implementation?
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member